The Mediocre Episodes-Where The Original Series Is Superior

Neo

Red Pixie Boot Wearer
In pondering the timeless question of which Star Trek series is the best it has occurred to me that where the Original Series really shines is the "mediocre" episodes.
Take away the top and bottom 20% episodes of each series and compare just the middle episodes in quality, this is where I think that the Original Series comes in way ahead.

Reasons:

1. Unlike modern Trek, the average episodes of the Original Series weren't mired in technobabble.

2. These "average" episodes tended to have some moments of genuine humor.

3. Finally, where the original series was generally superior to all the ones that came after, its episodes were paced better. that is, they didn't have too quick a wrapup or require filler scenes to spread the episodes.

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by Neo

1. Unlike modern Trek, the average episodes of the Original Series weren't mired in technobabble.

2. These "average" episodes tended to have some moments of genuine humor.

3. Finally, where the original series was generally superior to all the ones that came after, its episodes were paced better. that is, they didn't have too quick a wrapup or require filler scenes to spread the episodes.

Interesting!

I agree that TOS didn't have any mediocre episodes, but it did have a number of cheesey 'bad' episodes -- especially in the third season. It is only because it is so old, and that I have a certain nostalgic fondness for it that I can dismiss it.

I have seen each episode of TOS probaby about 20+ times now, I have only seen some TNG episodes 2 or 3 times. I think that if you watch TNG more, you will find all those little moments in it too. At least I find that I do!

The 'Technobable' is a sign of the times -- TOS was a much simpler era. But it did rely on more 'non-science' answers to the problems -- usually involving gun-boat diplomacy or fisticuffs -- it was more physical and less intellectual.

The 'wrap it up in the last 2 minutes after the final break' syndome is due to advertising. I said this in another thread, I read that Harlan Ellison and another writer (I forget who now), complain that because of the breaks today, you only get about 44 minutes worth of TV show, rather than 55 minutes in the '60's and that makes a big difference.

Anyway, that's my thoughts!

Good thoughts Dave... good thoughts