DVD Release?

squire

Rock n Roll!
Does anyone know if theyre planning on releasing Sliders on dvd?
It would be great if they bought out boxsets for each season.

Nope not that i know of because i too would like to buy all 5 seasons worth on dvd it would be worth buying them its the same thing thou with quantum leap only the pilot ep is available on dvd but non of the 6 seasons have been realeased yet :(

Perhaps if the Movie ever gets released it will be an excuse for them to put out all the sliders seasons on dvd

Universal at least knows we are interested in Sliders DVDs. Earlier last year, a site called DVD Talk collected questions to send to representatives of Universal's DVD/Video release department. They had gotten permission in advance through their own connections in the industry.

We only found out about the collection of requests one day before requests were closed, but we managed to get in enough support for Sliders to have that question sent to Universal. I confirmed that much through Kleinman (operater of DVD Talk).

However, Universal has yet to make good on their promise to repond to the requests/questions. To view the saga of that, you can check out this thread in the DVD Talk forums:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=100964&highlight=Universal+questions

So while Universal is still not talking, we know that the request for Sliders DVDs at least ended up on one of their desks. Whether it was read or not...anyone's guess.

One factor that may be delaying the release of Sliders on DVD in the United States (and many other Universal television properties) is the fact that Universal hasn't been in control of those rights since 1997. In 1997, Universal sold all their television rights and their two television outlets to Studios USA (hence the reason the production logo on the end of Sliders episodes changed halfway through season four). In December of 2001 (literally a few weeks ago), Universal bought back their television assets and now have control of them again; but they also named the president of Studios USA (Barry Diller) as the new head of Universal Studios.

None of this even addresses the Columbia House nightmare which has been a large reason for Back to the Future staying out of release. Many years ago, Universal made a deal with Columbia House which gives Columbia most of the profit on DVD releases (if you notice, the few Quantum Leap videos and single DVD from the mid to late 90's were released through Columbia House). Universal has been holding off on releasing Back to the Future and other properties until after that agreement expired, so that Universal could make a better profit deal for themselves. It appears that Columbia House deal has finally expired. Reports are that the Back to the Future triology will be released on DVD in the third quarter of 2002 (in fact, I've read at http://bttf.com/dvd that the Jurassic Park III DVD features a trailer advertising the release of BTTF on DVD later this year).

So with the Columbia House nightmare seemingly behind them, and Universal back in control of the rights to Sliders (with Barry Diller now having a boss over him - he didn't at Studios USA), we may begin to see movement on Sliders DVDs. No guarantees and no indication they are thinking that way, but all indications are that Uni has finally cleared away the essential road blocks we were aware of...and now it would be more feasible for them to do Sliders DVDs in my opinion.

Tf
temporalflux@hotmail.com

Thanks for that info there TF , that was very very Informative!!!

I think they will release it on dvd it prolly just a matter of time

I live in the uk and only have terrestrial TV. Sliders used to be on a station called BBC2 and I watched it with a passion. Then it stopped. Just stopped and I never saw it again on that channel. The last episode I ever saw was the one with Roger Daltrey in as some kind of Soldier. I hope it comes out on DVD in the UK cos then at last I could get some answers how it all ends

This is an old thread lets get it started again.

My favorite character was Maggie.

I heard they were coming out shortly, i think ts already out at Best Buy here in Maine.

Oooh I used to love this show, well when Maggie was in it! Her and Quinn were so good together :(

Anybody have any ideas if it's gonna be out in the UK?