Ancient History....Help on Books

I watched some of the Michael Wood on TV but had to stop - he was drooling all over Alexander like a mindless sycophant. I have to keep away from anything Michael Wood nowadays. Bring back John Romer!

Simon Schama was always hero worshipped at university. His history of britain videos were tremendous! You can't blame Michael for his enthusiasm..the fellow was walking in the footsteps of Alexander the Great! He did drool over him an awful lot though, but so was I.

Simon Schama is exceptional! If you are interested in British history, then nobody tells it better. The series was on BBC and will most likely be repeated on all of the History channels and on the various BBC channels. I could download them.....

Northumbria University. Not quite as high profile as Durham. What will you be studying at university Esioul?

Archaeology. I'm guessing that Northumbria uni is in the North too! Durham wasn't my first choice, but it seems nice anyway.

Durham is one of the big three universities. It is also a wonderful place to live - very picturesque! Northumbria University is in Newcastle. I applied to Durham and Newcastle but was unsuccessful. I wanted to study Ancient History there. Life does not always go to plan though.

No. I'm an Oxford reject. I don't know why I applied there at all, actually! Did you do ancient history in Northumbria uni?

Durham is one of the 'big three' universities in what now? (I'm not being facetious, I just never heard of it being worth much).

Geological evidence may decide that something about Egypt has been around since prehistoric times, but that doesn't count anyway. Historically, I thought that Egypt followed Sumer (although the two civilizations apparently coexisted after Egypt arose from its antiquity).

Just as a source for ideas I recommend the Epic of Gilgamesh, although it's mythology and not history. The Bible is also full of good stuff, I think, and has its historical moments. I mean . . . why not?;)

Well, thanks a lot, Dead Riverdragon. It's all right, even if it's not Oxbridge. And maybe its slightly less full of snobs.

The Epic of Gilgamesh is weird but great...

Durham is one of the highest profile universities in the country, slightly less high profile than Oxbridge. Profiles are profiles but employers are more impressed when these names are on your CV. When picking a university it is best to go where the best writers (lecturers) are. Durham university is full to the brim with lantern jawed toffs but I am told is a wonderful place to study. You should enjoy your time there, and if anybody gives you a hard time just put a post on here and I'll be there in 25 minutes. lol

No problem. I must say that I am very envious of you. It would be great studying Archeology at Durham.... I just did History at university. I scored very poorly on all of my A-level mock exams, which in turn effectd my predicted grade scores which were sent to all my prospective university courses. My father died suddenly and unexpectedly two days before the exams and so my mind was elsewhere as you could imagine. That's life for you. I may do a degree in ancient history when I retire, that would be good. I would really love to study Norse mythology or the Germanic mythologies, but that would just be for fun. Baba Yaga....

That's bad luck for you- I know something like that would ruin my grades. The whole Oxford thing almost ruined my grades, but I'm trying not to let it take over or anything, which would be silly as it's not that important. I am sort of looking forward to Durham, but I'm a bit nervous of the whole thing really.

There will be plenty southerners in Durham to make you feel at home. lol
It must be a nerve wracking time going away to university. You'll be fine once you have got a trowel in your mits and your up to your waist in mud.

Hmmm, yes, I do like digging. It's the whole making friends thing which scares me most.