character facts from JKR

dmalfoy

THE GODFATHER
J.K. Rowling on the "Harry Potter Series" These are stuff you that are not in the books.

These were all taken from http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/ please check it out!

A collection of J.K. Rowling quotes from various interviews and online chats, that gives more insight to the well-designed Harry Potter universe. Things that you can not derive from the books!
Characters' Backgrounds
• "Dumbledore is a hundred and fifty. Wizards have a much longer life expectancy than Muggles." (7)
• "The "Arabella Figg" Dumbledore refers to at the end of "Goblet of Fire" is indeed the same Mrs. Figg that takes care of Harry for the Dursleys in Book One." (9)
• "Hagrid was in Gryffindor, naturally!" (2)
• "Because [Hagrid] was never fully trained his magic is never going to be what it should be. He is always going to be a bit inept. (6)
• "Harry's middle name is James, after his dad." (7)
• "Hermione's birthday is September 19th." (3)
• "James [Potter] was Chaser on the Gryffindor Quidditch team." (7)
• "James [Potter] inherited plenty of money, so he didn't need a well-paid profession." (3)
• "That [Invisibility Cloak] was inherited from his [James Potter's] own father - a family heirloom!" (3)
• "Lili Potter's maiden name was Evans, and she was in Gryffindor (naturally)." (7)
• "Professor McGonagall is a sprightly seventy. Wizards have a much longer life expectancy than Muggles." (7)
• "Under that gruff exterior, Professor McGonagall is a bit of an old softy, really." (7)
• "Ron's birthday is March 1st." (9)
• "Professor Snape is 35 or 36 years old" (9)
• "Susan Bones's grandparents were killed by Voldemort." [Susan was sorted into Hufflepuff in Book one] (2)
Locations, Rules and Habits
• "Azkaban is in the north of the North Sea. A very cold sea." (5)
• "[To remove Dudley's tail], the Dursleys went to a private hospital where the staff was very discreet, and said that a wart had got out of control." (7)
• "Dumbledore believes there are all sorts of lessons in life; horrible teachers like Snape are one of them." (2)
• "The happiest people do not become Ghosts." (5)
• "Gnomes eat the roots of your plants, and make little heaps of earth, like moles do." (5)
• "Harry does buy presents back! But I've never focused on their birthdays yet - there hasn't been room!" (3)
• "There are about a thousand students at Hogwarts." (7)
• "The Ministry of Magic doesn't find out which children are magic. In Hogwarts there's a magical quill which detects the birth of a magical child, and writes his or her name down in a large parchment book. Every year Professor McGonagall checks the book, and sends owls to the people who are turning 11." (5)
• The Hogwarts teachers do not stay at Hogwarts during the school holidays. Filch, the caretaker, stays. (6)
• "The Ministry of Magic keeps tabs on people apparating. That's why you have to have a license to do it, and the moment you abuse it you can find yourself in serious trouble (or Azkaban!)." (7)
• "You can do unfocused and uncontrolled magic without a wand (for instance when Harry blows up Aunt Marge), but to do really good spells, yes, you need a wand." (9)
• "The approximate value of a Galleon is about five pounds ($7.30 or 8.00 Euro), though the exchange rate varies" (9)
Origin of Names and Characters
• "Dumbledore, which means "bumblebee" in Old English...seemed to suit the headmaster, because one of his passions is music and I imagined him walking around humming to himself." (8)
• "'Harry' has always been my favourite boy's name, 'Potter' was the surname of a family who used to live near me when I was seven years old and I always liked the name, so I borrowed it." (7)
• "I also collect unusual names, and I take them from all sorts of different places. 'Hedwig' was a saint." (1)
• "Gilderoy Lockhart is also a lot like someone I once knew, but I don't think I'd better elaborate!" (7)
• "Quidditch is a name I invented. I just wanted a word which began with the letter 'Q'." (3)
• "Ron is a lot like my oldest friend, who is called Sean and with whom I went to school." (7)
• "Many of the names are taken from maps, for instance, Snape, which is an English village." (3)
(1) eToys Interview, Fall 2000
(2) Barnesandnoble.com Chat, October 2000
(3) America Online Chat, October 2000
(4) BBC Interview, Fall 2000
(5) Scholastic Chat, February 2000
(6) SouthWestNews.com Interview, July 2000
(7) Scholastic Chat, October 2000
(8) Barnesandnoble.com Chat, March 1999
(9) BBC Red Nose Day Chat, March 2001

1. Yeah! I was right about mrs figg
2. How can there be 1000 students at hogwarts? There are only 10 in the gryffindor first year...so if that works the same for all houses and years, there can only be roughly 300 students...hmmmm strange....

you're right, sinistra, 10x70x4= 280
hmm, that is a little wierd

i knew some of that from somewhere

aww, dumbledore means bumble bee!!! how sweet!!:eek4:

Years in a school don't always have the same number of students and ifHogwarts has all the children who are wizards or witches in the British Iles then surely all the years will be of dif numbers.

so what happened in harry's first year then? all the baby witches and wizards die? Im not getting at you, just saying that the math doesn't work out well.

They could have just had a very low baby count that year it was the peak of V's power so a lot more people were dying i don't htink many were considering having children.

They have magic beds that go to the no. of students in that year. so higher years more dorms more beds.

how did you figure that one out ten? and i still dont believe that there are1000 students.

yould buttur belive it hehehe! stupid printin ppl hurry up rowling now has all 7 books complete and the seond movie is in development! cmon i want book5 and movie 2 XD cmon

whats XD?
And i aint even seen the first film yet :( hopefully will see it with dmalfoy when i go home this w/end...Watch out birminghma and Leicester...cos the Maker of Bad Mistakes and Mischief returns once more....:upto:

Sinistra :rain:

LOL is wat XD means! erm well dont look at my sig then hehe

Always wondered how old Snape is....
Well I should have worked it out if he and James Potter went to school together...
In future books, I would like to know what Snape did when Vold...erm, i mean you-know-who was in the height of his power. I know he was a spy, but what, or who, did he spy on? And when he switched sides soon after, what did he think when James and Lily were murdered?

How old are all the other teachers? And Filch - i think hes about 500 judging by his scabby appearance! and his cat cant be far off either!

Snape

With regards to what snape is up to, check out the threads on roumours and the fifth book :D

ERM....Age...ok, i was actually working this out for some reason, but it was voldemorts family tree...dmalfoy knows what I'm on about...but if you say that James Potter was around 25 at the oldest when Harry was born, that means Snape was too. Add eleven or so onto that and you get a rough estimate of Snapes age:

Which sounds about right, i think. Dumbledore is quite old, I think dmalfoy has posted his age - oh and snapes - in a thread...probably this one...oh it is...hey cool i got snapes age right :D I'd say the youngest teacher in all the books is probably Quirell. What do you reckon?

Sin :rain:

Probably - he looked young anyway. i like Quirrel. Well played by ian Hart. Theres a link to a pic of him in the 'Snape' thread i think.

'Hogwarts: A history' should tell you lol!

lol. now where would i find hogwarts: a history. maybe we could write our own version! hmmm....let me think about that!

Well that would be pretty fun but i'm focusing on writing all the spells, charms and curses i see in the books. Hard work...

I loved your discussion about why there might be less students in Harry's year LOL and the number of beds in the dorm!

In the film it says on the trophy that James Potter was Gryffindor's seeker (like Harry), is that the same as a Chaser? Sorry, but I've never played before myself!