Will Rev Bem Be Able To Stay On Andromeda?

BONNIESTACKPOLE

FARSCAPE FANATIC
I was poking around Slipstream news yesterday when I read a responce Robert Wolfe, lead writer for Andromeda , gave to a question about why Rev Bem hasn't been on the last 3 episodes. He wrote, " the sad truth is that Brent has had serious problems related to the makeup which has affected his ability to appear in the show. As a result, we had to do quite a bit of rewriting to minimize the amount of time he had to work and he is only in about half of the first 12 episodes." :eek:

You would think in this day and age they could use hypoalergenic makeup! First Zhaan on Farscape, Now Rev Bem on Andromeda. :evil:

yep

Sad but true ...it wouldnt surprise me if they write Rev Bem out of the series and bring Brent Stait back in season three as another charactor ...

That would be good if they at least bring him back as another charactor. I wish they would have done that with Zhaan on Farscape.

Well, I have to say that from the very first episode, I noticed that there was TOO MUCH MAKEUP on the aliens to be feasible for a long running show. The Magog facial features in specific are too much to have to deal with on a nearly daily basis. Add in the fact that Brent's feet and hands are also bound up in makeup and you have a plethora of problems. The easiest way to make such an intensive mask (such as Brent's) would be to use Latex. Now, quite a few people are allergic to latex and there's nothing to be done about it...there's no cure for that allergy. (not that there's a cure for any allergy)

So, apart from an allergic reaction to latex, there's also the fact that so much of Brent's skin is covered up. This would introduce bacterial buildup on his skin, lack of someplace for perspiration to go(!) and the fact also that our skin does need to do a certain degree of respiration.

Now, I was absurdly happy to see the Nightsider leave the cast! :D That was just a STUPID look for an alien, quite apart from the fact that I hated that character with a passion. (Ok, we were *supposed* to hate him) :) But still...his nose just made me want to bitch-slap him... :cool: ...hee hee, just to see that nose come off! LOL

Ok, back to the subject...

I would be drastically sorry to see Rev Bem leave the cast. I think Brent's take on Rev Bem is just perfect... I like the fact that he went with a different direction, accent-wise, than the others who auditioned (for his part). It really lends a better, newer depth to that sort of character. Such a refreshing change...

I wonder, though...if Rev Bem left the cast, would another Wayist find his/her way onto Andromeda?

"I wonder, though...if Rev Bem left the cast, would another Wayist find his/her way onto Andromeda?"

The above quote (from the previous post) reminds me of what I too originally thought when hearing of Rem Bev being written out.

Do you think fans would accept Brent coming back as a humanoid Wayist ? Either that or Rev Bem goes through some transformation where his outward appearance changes, but I doubt this would happen as Trance has this happen (something like this I assume !).

The fact of the matter is that I saw the Rev Bem character providing the perfect role of the wise man providing reflections to the crew, being the spiritual advisor, and also portraying a character who also had their own 'demons' to deal with from their past/present !

He was so different, yet so integral to the crew......

Arthur

Brent is currently working on a movie. He stated that Kevin Sorbo wants him to come back to Andromeda as a diff. charactor, but he did not say if he would or not. I sure hope he does. I never thought of a human wayist. That would be great.

Brent coming back as someone else would be great...but I don't think Rev Bem becoming transformed outwardly would be a wise idea.

I mean, changing a Magog is a whole order of magnitude different from Trance having her tail amputated.

I also believe that Brent shouldn't come back as a Wayist. That's too close to subjecting him to typecasting, if you ask me. :)

REV BEM

I don't think anyone would suggest that Brent come back as Rev changed into a human. He would have to be a completely diff. charactor. He could be a diff. charactor, who is also a Wayist. There are millions of Catholics, Protestants, Muslims, Budists, ect. who share a religion, but have completely diff. personalities.

But not to worry. Brent has said he feels the charactor (of Rev Bem) being a wayist had limited where he could take the charactor development, so I doubt if he would come back to the show as another wayist.

New Actors/Characters !

Hi,

The departure of current actors/characters and the appearance of new ones isn't a new thing in tv sci-fi land: its happened on Star Trek, Babylon 5 and Farscape, to name a few.

The setup of Andromeda surely allows for new characters to be added to the crew, characters who decide to join Captain Hunt's mission, and Brent Strait could be one of these.

Personally I would definitely want him to come back because it wasn't his fault, it was the fault of the make-up. Having seen actors at conventions who portray 'make-up parts' a common element is the harshness of the make-up and whether it will have long-term effects on the skin. Make-up isn't even an apropriate term - glue and paint would be terms more relevant ! When ever I have asked these same actors whether they get paid extra for having to get to work in the early hours of the morning and having to endure hours of this 'paint & glue' the answer is always 'no' !

Arthur

Back