"Stories" - short, long, etc.

SDNess

I was reading some Poe today (since Brian recommended his poetry) on this site: http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/poe/Work.html. I noticed that there two sections for stories - "short stories' and "long tales". Is there really any difference between the two? The "long tales" only go on for a little longer than the "short stories".

What are the typical parameters for a short story, novella, novel, etc. ?

Also, some of Poe's stories seem to be very short in length. Do you find stories these shorts engaging and effective?

Also, any words of advise or a general direction you can send me in for writing these "short stories"? I want to try working within a limited number of pages; having a limited area within to write. I want to do this because I think it will sharpen some of my skills...

Try to answer as best as possible. ;)

Short stories and novellae have very set action curves spanning over a small amount of time. There is also a limited cast of characters - usually two-three main characters at most. They usually end on a surprising note, or have a twist somewhere along their storyline producing something along the lines of a curve such as thus:
Code:
 |beginning|--|middle|-/often surprising turn of events\-|end|

Now that's a peculiar way of putting it, but I suppose it gets the point across. In an odd sort of way. They are also limited to around 1,500-2,000 words, though I've never really seen this definite.

Novel's are usually much broader in scope, enveloping a larger timespan, several plotlines and often a much-extended cast of primary characters and "props".

Really, this is all silly, but it's 0530 and I can't sleep.