0.01 : The Cage.

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
"The Cage" #1 ------

Never aired at the time it was made, it is very different to the version of Trek that later appeared. Jeffrey Hunter as Captain Pike is, like the episode, much more sombre and contemplative than Kirk. It is so different that they couldn't air it, it just doesn't fit in. So they created a story to frame it -- "The Menagerie." But they had to remove all the warp drive sequences, and Mr. Spock's decision to flee Talos IV while the captain was still a captive of the Talosians.

The landing party wear coats. Spock smiles and shouts with emotion.

Why do the Talosians not know how to put Vina back together? They look humanoid to me, couldn't they put her togther like themselves instead of the deformed way? Or better still, why not read her mind?

well - i don't remember much about this - it was aired the other day, but i think i got stuck doing something else - it's kinda boring too ---

and the uniforms are weird looking ---

*sigh* - gotta somehow get these hanging around so i can watch 'em all the time -----

Even I've only seen it once! It is a strange variation of Star Trek and was only available on pirate video until recently. I'm not sure if the BBC have ever shown it, maybe that is the time that I saw it.

yeah - i remember sometime back in the mid 80's, i think ABC, made a big deal about airing it as the 'original, unaired Pilot ep' of ST -- probably a good thing they never aired this ep -- b/c i don't think the show would have done very well --

wasn't Uhura initially supposed to be 1st officer? instead of Spock? and they changed it b/c they didn't think the 'public' would accept it, even tho the show took place in the future??

It was Majel Barrett Roddenberry who was Number One. She became Nurse Chapel instead, married Roddenberry... etc.

But yes that was the story -- women did not have strong roles on TV then.

okay - maybe it was her -- i knew it was one of the ladies -- and how ridiculous --

oh - and did ya notice that NONE of the 1st officers (save Kira, who wasn't starfleet) have been female?? (and if the one on Voy was, sorry - didn't watch Voy -- but i was pretty sure it was a guy) --- and Janeway is only one of a few female Captains we've seen --- (crusher doesn't count, that was an alternate timeline) --

anyone ever follow/flesh out the 'Nurse Chapel loves Spock' storyline anywhere? like in a fic or something? (Naked Time was on yesterday)

Are you kidding?

I don't read much Star Trek fiction, I don't like reading things that aren't canon. It just annoys me. But there must be hundreds of books about Nurse Chapel and Spock.

Originally posted by Dave
Are you kidding?

I don't read much Star Trek fiction, I don't like reading things that aren't canon. It just annoys me. But there must be hundreds of books about Nurse Chapel and Spock.

no, i'm not kidding - i'm just asking -- i haven't looked for Trek fic - haven't had time --

i'm sure someone's probably done something - and i would assume that Chapel/Spock is probably one of those things like Jack/Sam (from Stargate) that's been done to death - i was just wondering if anyone had done it well -- i hate reading bad fic --

First Trek Nemesis Dies

Meg Wyllie, the actress who played the swollen-headed alien in the Star Trek pilot, died Jan. 1 2002 in Glendale, Calif., the official Star Trek Web site reported. She was 84.

Wyllie had the distinction of being Star Trek's first alien nemesis. She played the Keeper, a Talosian who used powers of illusion to imprison Capt. Christopher Pike, James Kirk's predecessor, in a menagerie.

I've started watching Star Trek yet again. I catch episodes here and there all the time, but I've decided to rewatch all of it from beginning to end(?).

I own TOS on Blu-Ray, but for convenience sake, I'm watching it on Netflix. Netflix has taken it upon themselves to put the pilot, The Cage, on first. They seem to follow the airing order after that.

After watching The Cage for the first time in many years, I can understand why they decided to recast and reshoot. Captain Pike is rather sombre and uninspiring as a Starfleet captain, and rather misogynistic. Sure Kirk had a reputation as a ladies man, but never expressed any idea that they shouldn't be there.

While I don't rate Pike as much of a character and the story in this episode is a little weak, it's well acted and sucks us into the idea of the Federation and being a member of Starfleet immediately. While it didn't air until much later, it's still a worthy of inclusion.

I've started watching Star Trek yet again. I catch episodes here and there all the time, but I've decided to rewatch all of it from beginning to end(?).

I own TOS on Blu-Ray, but for convenience sake, I'm watching it on Netflix. Netflix has taken it upon themselves to put the pilot, The Cage, on first. They seem to follow the airing order after that.

After watching The Cage for the first time in many years, I can understand why they decided to recast and reshoot. Captain Pike is rather sombre and uninspiring as a Starfleet captain, and rather misogynistic. Sure Kirk had a reputation as a ladies man, but never expressed any idea that they shouldn't be there.

While I don't rate Pike as much of a character and the story in this episode is a little weak, it's well acted and sucks us into the idea of the Federation and being a member of Starfleet immediately. While it didn't air until much later, it's still a worthy of inclusion.

You know what might have been interesting dynamic? Pike as Captain and Kirk as First Officer. :)

Nah, Pike is clearly past it. Kirk would never have been able to contain his enthusiasm for the job. Pike would have to have Kirk transferred or killed. Neither of which would have been good for Kirk's career. ;)

I thought i'd rewatch the original series as it's been a very long time and i realise that there are many episodes that i haven't seen. Like many of us, i'm watching it on Netflix.

I enjoyed the story a lot, but i didn't like Pike and it was a good thing they recast. I appreciate that it's a pilot episode, but the acting was extraordinarily wooden and the cast didn't gel at all well together. Weirdly enough, i quite liked Number One. A role that was well ahead of it's time, i suspect.

I wonder why this episode wasn't remastered in the same manner as those of the series?

Last edited: