1.02 : Where No Man Has Gone Before.

Highlander II

There can be only one!!
"Where No Man Has Gone Before"

Couple of questions:

was this episode considered aired after 'The Cage', but before "The Corbomite Maneuver" initially? (for some reason SciFi decided to air "The Cage", "The Man Trap", then "Where No man....")

2nd - what was w/ Spock's eyebrows? i thought they would take flight and leave his face! (very much resembled bird's wings - very odd)

i didn't see all of this ep (sis wanted to eat - geez - food) - but caught the end of it --- so, i only know that Kirk killed the glassy-eyed guy ---- and that the tombstone was wrong - James R. Kirk (knew about that b4 hand - it's in my book) --

It's very complicated H2!

"The Cage" is the first pilot and was made first, but it was NEVER aired, at least not until the '80's or '90's anyway. (Parts were used to make "The Menagerie I & II" so it was shown that way.)

Next they made "Where no man has gone before" -- the 2nd Pilot episode. Hence, some things are not quite right yet -- eyebrows and JR Kirk!

Then they made "Corbormite Maneuver".

But, they were never shown in that order. They were meant to be stand alone episodes that could be shown in any order. In practise they were nearly always shown in the order that you gave, with "The Man Trap" first. The networks thought that that episode was a more typical Sci-Fi episode -- with the monster of the week, not too heavy on the moralising -- and thought it better to start with it.

I'm going to change the thread title, if you don't mind. I will put the production number first. If I was doing my job as mod properly I should have set up every episode ready for ppl to post. I never thought anyone would start posting about individual episodes though, so I just did it with the Films.

nononononononononono don't change it!!! ;)

j/k -- i don't mind -------

and i didn't really intend to - but scifi just started over and i was confused b/c i had looked at my ST Chronology book and they were listed "The Cage", "Where no Man...", "Corbomite", etc - and "Man Trap" is about #5 or so --

and i noticed Spock's weird eyebrows --

so - i asked --

Off Topic but...

Don't get started on which is the correct order. . .

I'm doing all these episode threads now, and I'm waiting for someone to argue about it. Every different book I have places them in a different order -- production order, air date order, stardate order -- I'm putting them in production order, but I have no idea which order they were meant to be shown in!!!

I'm very confused about if some events were meant to have happened before others!

This is the episode where Gary Mitchell and Dr Dehner get high ESP quotients and glowing eyes, 'mutating' into 'something beyond human'.

The Enterprise discovers the flight recorder of the USS Valiant, a galactic survey vessel lost 200 years ago. The ship had attempted to leave our galaxy, but had come into contact with the great energy barrier. The log tapes show repeated requests for info on ESP, before the self destruct is initiated.

After NBC's reaction to 'The Cage', Roddenberry pulled out all the stops for this pilot, taking no chances with plenty of action.

The phaser rifle prop especially made for this episode, and mentioned in the writer's guide, never appears again. The shirts still have shoulder zippers, and the women wear trousers.

When Mitchell begins to change, they are all astonished at how quickly he can now read the library screen. We see him zip through the text at speed, but he is faking it, he is reading the same pages over and over again. Someone should have spotted that!

This is one of the very best episodes for atmosphere, getting off to a great start with some opening musical notes that remind me of Vaughan Williams's Symphony #7 Sinfonia Antarctica.

Outstanding . This is one trek Episode I can watch time and again. :cool:

Last edited:
This episode benefits from a good script and some of the best acting of the series. I relish too the matte paintings for Delta-Vega.

Since there are some plot similarities with "Charlie X," it's too bad the latter wasn't broadcast late in the season, with plenty of other teleplays intervening -- and "The Squire of Gothos" omitted entirely, another one about a human or seeming human with "godlike" powers. Instead of "Squire," Star Trek could have adapted some appropriate existing sf story to the requirements of the series. Your nomination? : )

This episode benefits from a good script and some of the best acting of the series. I relish too the matte paintings for Delta-Vega.

Since there are some plot similarities with "Charlie X," it's too bad the latter wasn't broadcast late in the season, with plenty of other teleplays intervening -- and "The Squire of Gothos" omitted entirely, another one about a human or seeming human with "godlike" powers. Instead of "Squire," Star Trek could have adapted some appropriate existing sf story to the requirements of the series. Your nomination? : )

I wish the rest of the original series hadkpt the look of this second pilot.

Episode 4 on the Netflix listing.

I thought that had seen this one, but i hadn't. Kirk said it best with "Absolute power corrupts absolutely". I really enjoyed this episode.