Home-Grown Paperback

Dale

Ruler of all that is nerd
Hey there, I'm Dale, and I'm fifteen years old.:rolleyes:

You see, there is a compulsory major assignment we have to do at our school called a "Personal Project." If you haven't already figured it out, I chose to write a novel.

The problem is, I can't find any advice or programs which let you make a paperback without sending it off to get published. My Novel is due in 10 weeks, and I'd like to print a copy of it, but I'd like it to look like a real book, rather than a huge mound of A4 pages stapled together.

Anyone got any idea's? Any program's you know of, or ways to do it in Ms Word?

Hi Dale, and welcome to the chronicles-network. :)

As for writing a novel - tough choice! That's got to be a lot of work. If you want it binding, though, it is simply going to cost, full stop. There are a number of self-publishnig Print on Demand (POD) outlets around, but you should expect to pay a few hundred dollars for any of them to produce just a single book, I'm afraid.

Damn. And that might take a while to get back to me, hey? I don't even have that much cash anyway. I think I'll just have to go with the plain ol' A4 version, even if it does lack a certain charm.

Ten weeks to go. I better get writing.

You should inquire with printers in your area - the sort of folks who print brochures and flyers for ad agencies. They usually have a lot of DTP software and skills and should be able to figure something out. Can't say I'd know how much it'd cost, but less than the PoD option for sure.

Dale: If you finish your first novel at age 15 (published or not) you have my vote for an A. It doesn't have to be great, either. Just the fact that you stick it out will impress me to no end.;)