Anyone else think Shelby would have made a lousy First Officer?

Neo

Red Pixie Boot Wearer
I just don't happen to think she would have been very good at it. Something about how badly she wanted it. The way she mouthed off to Riker, granted he gave her permission to speak freely, but there's a difference between speaking freely and being insubordinate. Put that scene in the U.S./ U.K Navy, mouth off like that to a superior officer and find out what happens to you. Doing end runs around Riker, and later giving orders without consulting her captain which at that point is Riker. Maybe she would have made a better captain than first officer. What do you think about Shelby?

took me a minute to realize who you were talking about, but i got it -- that ep was on the other day -- i missed part of it -- but that chic needed a serious attitude adjustment -- she would have been courtmartialed back into enlistment (if she wasn't thrown out) in the 'real' Navy -- esp not following the chain of command -- (again, gets into the whole 'military or not' question) -- what i don't get, is why did Picard not ask her why she didn't talk to Riker? (he may have, but i don't remember) --

Yeah, I think she probably would have been better as a captain or maybe even an admiral. Then no one would have questioned her. I mean look how many rules Picard, Sisko, Janeway, Kirk, Nechayev, etc., all broke throughout their careers. Tons of them. And folks thought they were correct to do so. Innovative, independent and so on.

I could also see Shelby doing covert operations, too. Who knows, maybe she could have worked for Section 31 or as a Federation spy?

She got on my nerves, but I liked her. Riker needed a little shaking up. He gets too complacent. It made me like Riker more to have him have a worthy adversary. Never was overly fond of Riker. (Sorry!)

:star::smile::star:

Yep I agree ...

I don't like Shelby either she just grated on me for some reason maybe it was just her plain rudeness.

Not good first officer material in my opinion

I think that plot was just a way of getting some sympathy for Riker. Up to that point I don't think the fans liked him, or felt any empathy with him. Afterwards he got better storylines and became well liked, it's a definite turning point.

The way she was written, no one could seriously like Shelby. At the time I thought it was a odd bit to stick in that very tension-building story (Best of Both Worlds), but having seen the episode many times now (one of my favourites) it very cleverly works to break the tension of the Borg attack, to make it last longer.

Agree with ya Dave....

She was not written to be liked... I agree I think she probably would have been better as a captain or maybe even an admiral. Then no one would have dared to question her.

Back