5.17: Menace

Originally posted by Dave

Apart from that, I was disapointed: I saw no reason to introduce a 'Lego Queen'!

LOL it could have been worse...remember the nightmares about apophis coming back as the lego king???

i sorta think it's ironic that a child's (mentally anyway) toy has pretty much vanquished the asgard. i mean here is this great feared race...and they're 3 foot puppets that have been pushed to the brink of extinction by a run amuk toy

any thoughts

any thoughts on the fact that Reese was a machine, and most likely can be repaired from a blast to the gut. I bet the memory was stored at the same place basicly her brain should have been if human.

Brain Drain

Yes - it has also been mentioned elsewhere that Reece's brain was possibly in her head so she didn't actually "die" but deliberately shut herself off [I think she did]. Carter finds a power source in her head area but as far as we know it's not her "brain".

'Course, since she came from an alien planet, culture and technology, a brain could just as well have been situated in her big toe, nanites aside. [Who would know, after all Carter wasn't very reassuring when she told Hammond that the sleeping beauty "appears to be inactive".]

Or maybe there is no central brain but only a network of connections that operate in conjunction with one another. Bust one section and the whole system collapses. But then the nanites should be able to repair, in time, no? Hum...

Or perhaps there was a second or third or fourth critical power source in her belly or some sort of essential routing mechanism located there. Oh, heck, it's fluffy science anyway - just enough to get the flavor of what's going on, of reality. I'm easy, I went with it - liked this episode.

I noticed some fans did not like that the replicators are now linked to an adolescent android creator. That's a fair and reasonable stance to want a more sophisticated origin for our little lego spider meanies after all the havoc they've caused. However, since the history of Reece's people is rather sketchy, couldn't one introduce yet another facet to the replicator's origins? i.e., how did Reece get the idea for the legos in the first place? Programming? Daddy stole it from someone else?

About the only aspect of the story I found hard to swallow is that they took a chance and brought back another foreign object, not knowing whether it could obliterate them in a second or what.

This episode reminded me of Lore and Data's conflicts on Star Trek: TNG. I always enjoyed those episodes. Than nasty Lore. He was made wrong, too.

- Orange

"You're just a toy, an artifact. You don't have any meaning unless I give it to you." - Matthew O, *Artifact*

Because I have a teenager going through that somewhat more or less problematic time, I thought that Reece was just the right person to build the Legos that got out of control!... just as she is learning to translate thoughts to action and learn control and what to control... so are the replicators... she hasn't that learned the adult art totally yet ... control. It was obvious that Daniel saw her as a child struggling to become an adult and Jack saw her as an out of control being struggling to become an adult. I don't think Reese is dead either... I believe that the information stored within her is backed up... I am wondering when we get slightly chewed up Reece and her peices... Wonder if she learned anything.... HEY, well SG-1 does have a history of visiting and returning to... Apophis, Nurti, Hathor, Heruer, Harlan, Chaaka, Marchello, Marty (PoNR and WX) among others...

I totally agree that she shut herself down. It occurred to me afterwards that Jack shot her in the wrong place entirely. but then they had Jack in such gung ho mood, the chances are that he would have shot her exactly where he did. When you are being trained to kill someone or to fire, you're always told to fire at the largest point in the body, which is the torso. Mostly snipers aim for the head and they do so generally at great distances (these days with exceptional targetting equipment) and with great accuracy. But then they tend to lie in wait for their targets and usually have a reasonable amount of time to place the shot carefully.

Jsc has the right of it that Reese, as a 'hormonal' teenager was exactly the right person to create something as mindlessly destructive as a bunch of lego creatures. After all, most of the destruction and indeed much of what teenagers do in the normal run of life is fairly mindless. Or so it appears to adults anyway. Far from objecting to Reese being brought into the mix by the producers, I feel they did the right thing for me....because introducing her as the replicator creator was just the kind of irony that actually exists in real life. And it even made the replicators make sense to me!

I still don't like the replicators, but I can see now how something like that would come about. Not from a highly advanced species experimenting, but from the deluded rampant and damaged mind of a teenage robot.

Yes! Makes a lot of sense!

Orange

.... if you read this. You sent me an email ages ago and then I had problems with my mail server and I lost it. I do apologise to you for that. I wanted you to know I wasn't ignoring you. I have had a lot on my plate for the last four months or so! Apologies again!

:evil: ;)

I love to think about this show! Gives me a lot different to chew on while I live with another 5 years of obviously rampant male hormones.... (to say nothing of my two brothers..unobviously or controlled ~somewhat~ hormones) LOLLOL:D

Daniel's reaction to the "Replicator toy" that reece had created for him was so realistic I'm wondering if they didn't tell MS it was in when they shot that scene.

Even I sat up and said "ah oh !". Great way of delivering the threat .. these types of scenes are what I love about SG-1. It's all about action and reaction in my opinion.

As for the Daniel / Jack friction - that's been there in loads of episodes - it just seems more obvious because of the decision that he's made. I don't think it was put in especially - although we'll have to wait and see how he exits I suppose.

For me ... 7/10 :D

Originally posted by jsc
I don't think Reese is dead either... I believe that the information stored within her is backed up

Yeah that's probably right, so why was Daniel so cut up about the shot from Jack I wonder - "it's a robot for christsakes !"

I thought this was the best episode of Season 5 so far. Hopefully, TPTB will keep making episodes like this and drop the X-Gate nonsense for good.

One minor quibble, when Sam asked to bring the robot back, I thought "haven't these people seen Alien? You don't bring the alien object back to your base!". You'd think that after all their experiences they would have been a bit more careful.

Rambo Hammond was a nice touch.

I could be wrong here, but I think that Daniel was not so much upset just with Jack shooting the robot, but with the fact that he was so willing to just do it, without asking Daniel what the situation was and then justifying it with typical military arrogance.

I personally believe that someone like Daniel would have real issues with Jack and his gung ho, shoot first and ask questions later, jingoistic attitude. Just as Jack as a dyed in the wool military guy would be too inflexible to see the other side of any argument as Daniel tries to. To Jack, there's one side, the right side and his side is the right side, even if he's blatantly wrong. And he has a big gun to back him up.

THIS is, in my opinion, what Daniel's anger was all about and a dawning realisation that Jack will never ever change. He knows one maxim and one only.....

Might is right.....

:cool:

You make some good points Anni.

Personally, I think they need a non-military person around to remind them that there are other ways to look at a situation.

I think it would be a lot more realistic and interesting if TPTB were to write Daniel out by having him realize he just can't work with the military anymore and leave of his own volition, instead of the planned exit.

i too loved rambo hammond. it may be my imaginaion, but he and sam were good together.

i know i can sympathize with danny's pov...maybe reese was shutting down (i'm on squinty vision so i don't know for sure) and maybe it was 'bad' of jack to shoot her...but i can also see jack's pov..reese was a clear and present danger. she was controlling critters that have practically got the asgard to the point of extinction...they're nothing to mess around with.

now maybe if they had been on the planet and only sg-1's lives had been at risk, his decision would have been different...but jack was acting to protect the base and the planet. with the information he had at the time...replicators in control of the base, and potentially escaping reese's control, he made the only decision he could.
it was the same rationale he used when he zatted carter twice. he had to save the base at all costs...and the same rationale hammy used in setting the auto destruct as far back as COTG.

as to danny's departure....if i were writing it...he'd be on a year long mission to another planet or off with nick and the 'giant aliens'...something nice and normal, no near deification no ascending to a higher plane of existance...just gone. personally i think it'd be a nice change for someone to leave under nice ordinary circumstances.

but that's only my opinion...which usually isn't worth the virtual paper it's written on

Exit Stage via Alien

Spoiler for Meridian...

w
a
t
c
h
o
u
t
i
f
y
o
u
d
o
n
t
w
a
n
t.....to know.

Originally posted by Jobeth

I think it would be a lot more realistic and interesting if TPTB were to write Daniel out by having him realize he just can't work with the military anymore and leave of his own volition, instead of the planned exit. [/B]

I'm with you, Jobeth. Too bad it's too late. I was disappointed they took this route but I guess a death will pull in the highest number of viewers.

As for the ascension - to me, the "saved by the superior aliens" has been used one too many times.
I would have preferred a crisis of conscience for DJ or a life transitional phase, i.e. "I'm getting older maybe I should think about settling down" or even post traumatic stress.

Just sounds too ordinary though, I reckon. Bring on the almighty alien.

- O

Ordinary People

Originally posted by skydiver

as to danny's departure....[snip] personally i think it'd be a nice change for someone to leave under nice ordinary circumstances.

but that's only my opinion...which usually isn't worth the virtual paper it's written on

A toast to Skydiver and the thought of Danny having left under ordinary circumstances.

Our opinions matter. I like to get these things off my brain.

- Orange

"cum tacent, clamant"
[When they are silent, they are crying out.]

I was calling him "One Shot" Hammond with that big gun...he only needed one shot.... (it wasn't a p-90 was it?...as I two am on squint and glare)

I don't know why they couldn't have Daniel reassigned or leave on his own.... So I have to agree with Orange and all who have said.... Death or transition to godhood draws in more viewers!

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but here goes: TPTB said in an interview that they thought the actress that played Reese (can't remember her name) was great, and we may see her again. Just something to look forward to.
Raptor

that would be cool. and she is a robot...little repair job and she's all better.

i heard a rumor, and i can't recall if i already said it, that lexa doig was up for the part of reese, offered the part. and obviously didn't get it.

assuming she would have played it similar to how she plays roma and andromeda...i sorta like the idea of reese played more child like and less sexy, which is how i see lexa doig playing stuff

Does the SGC still have Reese though, because I would have thought it would be better to hand her over to the Asgard, so they could work on her - don't they (rather than the SGC) have more chance of getting her working again? Or is she in storage, or with the NID, or what? Would they even want to ressurect her?

The episode was interesting, we see some more story about the replicators. So Reese created them and she controlled the ones she create to protect her. She couldn't controlled the ones that destroy all her world and in one part she says that she teach them to protect themselves. So I think will she be able to stop the replicators in space, obviously that kind of replicators are acting alone and have make their own prerrogative and conclusions for existence. So with all probability Reese will have no upper hand against them, only the knowledge of their basic origin and function, since now they probably have replicated more advanced.

I really enjoy Daniel's reaction at the end with Jack, he for the first time was very vocal about how he felt. He always have show his differences of Jack point of view but I don't remember him been so desperate vocal like in this episode. It was good to see him show his feelings. I think Jack was took by surprise with this, like he wasn't expecting that reaction. It was a very good scene. As for Reese I supposed the Asgard with their advanced society probably could take something out of her anyway or maybe as someone mention make her work in some level again. :p

Krystal :laugh2: