So Elwyn - let's hear it!!!

august

Nymphet Connoisseur
Let's hear what you thought of "Double," and for that matter, the series thus far!

Sorry it took me so long to get over here to do this. Bit of a small family crisis this past weekend.

Ok... I saw Double which I really liked. The thing which had me the most intrigued by it was how much I realized that I haven't really gotten to know the characters yet and hence was totally confused. But this was, IMO, the best episode thus far of Cleo.

The high point of it, for me, was feeling like I'd entered in the middle of something big and equally having it tie back to previous events and leading into future happening on the show. This was the first episode which seemed to do this, to take the show as a whole into thought.

Did that make sense? And the two Cleo's were too funny. Ah man, their discussion about going out bowling and stuff had me totally cracked up. And everyone else's reactions to them.

Another thing is that I felt like Double finally began to pull all the info we've been given about the show together to create a clearer picture, something I didn't feel was happening up to now and was bothering me. I can tell a huge mythology was set up before they even began working on scripts and you know there is a lot to the world they inhabit that we don't fully understand - or that isn't explained to this point. And in a way, I wish it had all been clearly spread out before me, the viewer, in the first episode because I still find myself a bit confused at times. Not every detail, but a cleared picture of the basic plot line. I think of other SciFi things - like Bladerunner comes up as an example - which pretty much gives you an overview right off the bat so you feel you can logically figure out each new plot twist as it happens and place it into the bigger picture... and I feel like Cleo lacks this a bit. But maybe that's just me.

Overall, I do like the show. It's not up there as my favorite program on TV, but I do like it a lot and have only missed one episode which was beyond my control.

But you're right August, this is a really good episode.

~Ewlyn

You are so correct - the first few weeks of the show were interesting, but somewhat disjointed. With this one (and many of the ensuing eps) the writers began pulling things together, and developing ongoing themes and plots. But they never ran into the mistake of making things incomprehensible to the random new iewer. Plus Cleo really began developing as a character. And they continued exploring the whole sadness aspect of her being all alone.

By the time they get to the hour-long eps - really only 5, I think, you'll be going "WOOOOOOOOWWWW!"

Cleo had such potential, and it's such a shame it's gone. :(

So which one are you up to now?

I'm up to the first part of "Hel and High Water" but that was, like, 3 weeks ago now or something and they keep not showing the 2nd part to show other stupid shows. (Sorry, getting a little cross after it being cancelled for the 3rd time... and I move back to the US in 3 weeks and it's not on this Friday so at this point I may never see the 2nd half. :eek: )

Sorry, little rant.

Hopefully they'll reair at some point in the US so I'll get to catch and tape them all. :)

Moving back to the US? So you were only over in the UK for a while? Was this for school? And how long were you there?

I've been here for two years while my husband has been working towards his Ph.D. But I was born and raised in Boston, Massachusetts and we're moving back there in three weeks. My husband is coming back next summer to finish his field experiment and to defend, but I'll be back in Boston for good.

:)