Operation Flashpoint

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Anyone here ever get into Operation Flashpoint, the first-person combat simulator?

I did, and like all things I like, I became somewhat additcted. :)

Even ended up getting heavily involved with the modding community - instructing people how to make cinematic sequences and use custom music and speech.

Great game - incredibly versatile - and creating your own missions became superbly easy. IMO it is the completely non-linear nature of the game missions that really made this game so successful.

So - anyone else played it? And did you ever go to OFPEC? :D

I have the entire Operation: Flashpoint franchise sitting about on my shelf, in fact. Played through most of the campaigns, I believe, thought it has been a while since I last ran the game.

Speaking of modding - I was actually quite involved in the Half-Life mod community in my earlier days. Ran a site for Planet Half-Life on level design, along with some mod work I did.

I fell in love with the possibilies you had with that game. Might even get back into level design if Half-Life 2 lives up to its expectations.

Hypes, which site did you run? i used to live a planethalflife, and spent a lot of time tinkering with modding myself. I probably spent some time on yours.

Whatever happened to the follow up based in East Timor? I sure it was supposed to be due for release April of this year, but I didn't notice anything happen. There were some decent screenshots out - whatever happened there??

And, darn it - since the SP2 patches, my OFP keeps crashing. Sound keep cutting out, too. Not impressed.

Never did play resistance - I bought it, and although the island is great, the changes to the coding meant that a lot of missions built to OFP 1.46 wouldn't play properly in the 1.91+ versions. As a mission building, it annoyed the heck out of me, so now I just install up to 1.46 and the addons that work with it (including Satchel's sound pack) and enjoy the game at its peak, IMO.