Novelizations of movies

It's interesting to see the differences between the two. The Phantom Menace was written by Terry Brooks while the movie was being filmed I think but there are many differences in the story and scenes, I can't remember them but they are there. I read Terminator:2 by Randall Frakes and that was quite good and also the novelisation of the original live action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I was a kid.

The Abyss - Orson Scott Card. Explains far more than even the extended cut of the movie could.

Joe Millard's novelization of The Good, The Bad And The Ugly not worth the effort. Truly an unpleasant experience.

Joe Millard's novelization of The Good, The Bad And The Ugly not worth the effort. Truly an unpleasant experience.

I had no idea that film had been novelized :confused:

I had no idea that film had been novelized :confused:
gbubook.jpg

High hopes, big letdown.

It is a great film that relies very heavily on on style and pacing. The plot comes out of a dime novel.

I read a comment somewhere that it was bad that Tolkien was trying to cash in on the LotR film success by writing the Hobbit as a prequel...:rolleyes:
Neither Jurassic Park or Dune are novelisations of films, though - I think it's important to know what came first. I've only read a couple of the Star Trek ones, but quite honestly they came over to me as inferior fan fiction.

I read a comment somewhere that it was bad that Tolkien was trying to cash in on the LotR film success by writing the Hobbit as a prequel...:rolleyes:
That will teach you to stay off reddit.

Neither Jurassic Park or Dune are novelisations of films, though - I think it's important to know what came first.
It is important, but there's no telling some people.

That will teach you to stay off reddit.

It is important, but there's no telling some people.

There are people out there who think Tolkien invented epic fantasy.

Believe it or not, the Revenge of the Sith novelization is excellent. Beautifully written, with some New Wave-y literary experimentation. Parts of it read like prose poems.

It was surprisingly good, and much better than the movie to my mind. It really gets you thinking about what could have been done with the character of Anakin had the movies had better writers and a stronger actor.

I have a bunch of novelizations but most I just collected for the picture inserts.
I recall the novel for Return of the Jedi had details on how Darth Vader was created after fighting with Kenobi and falling into a lava pit.
Princess Leia gets "raped" by Jabba the Hutt.

Alien the novel used the screenplay basis of the alien creating new eggs from its victims (which I like a lot more than James Cameron's ant colony approach).
I had the novelization of Carpenter's THE THING but seem to have misplaced it--Alan Dean Foster again I think-there was an extra character and more thing action.

I want to read the novel of JAWS 2-I keep hearing it is much better than the first.

I read The Godfather recently and it was so bad. I cannot believe how bad it was given the reputation of the film. Although it is said to have been written first--Puzo was talking with Paramount as he was writing it so I think he must have been hired by them--since they had made a mafia film THE BROTHERHOOD in 1968 which had a similar plot--a brother returns from military duty and is sucked back into the "family." There's no way Puzo was not aware of it. "Corleone" is also a name cited in the film.

I'd like to read the novelization of The Pit and the Pendulum from the Matheson screenplay but its so old it is hard to find.

I have a bunch of novelizations but most I just collected for the picture inserts.
I recall the novel for Return of the Jedi had details on how Darth Vader was created after fighting with Kenobi and falling into a lava pit.
Princess Leia gets "raped" by Jabba the Hutt.

Alien the novel used the screenplay basis of the alien creating new eggs from its victims (which I like a lot more than James Cameron's ant colony approach).
I had the novelization of Carpenter's THE THING but seem to have misplaced it--Alan Dean Foster again I think-there was an extra character and more thing action.

I want to read the novel of JAWS 2-I keep hearing it is much better than the first.

I read The Godfather recently and it was so bad. I cannot believe how bad it was given the reputation of the film. Although it is said to have been written first--Puzo was talking with Paramount as he was writing it so I think he must have been hired by them--since they had made a mafia film THE BROTHERHOOD in 1968 which had a similar plot--a brother returns from military duty and is sucked back into the "family." There's no way Puzo was not aware of it. "Corleone" is also a name cited in the film.

I'd like to read the novelization of The Pit and the Pendulum from the Matheson screenplay but its so old it is hard to find.

Wow, I was aware that her was a novelization of Mathesen's Pit and Pendulum screen play. :cool:

Someone even has the book autographed by Vincent Price.
I naively assumed novels based on movie screenplays started in the 1970s but they go back much further. Edgar Wallace's novelization of King Kong is an early example--which I have, but it never occurred to me that it was written around 1930.

Someone even has the book autographed by Vincent Price.
I naively assumed novels based on movie screenplays started in the 1970s but they go back much further. Edgar Wallace's novelization of King Kong is an early example--which I have, but it never occurred to me that it was written around 1930.

I think ive seen two different editions of the original King Kong novelization.:unsure:

I remember seeing the 1970s hardcover on a book rack and there were other monster books but I can't remember what they were. I bought the Kong one.

Back