Novelizations of movies

Vodstok

Gloomy.....
Anyone ever read any book "adaptions" of movies that were any good? Usually, they are wildly divergent from the actual movie, usually being written before the movie is even finished filming so that the book sales can coincide with the movie release, and are based on pre-filming versions of the screenplay. Sometimes, they add some extra insight (the terminator 2 novelisation explained a ton of background, but in the end wasnt all that fantastic)

The best i have read was the adaption of the Abyss. The author wrote it based on the screenplay, but sat through the filming of the movie, and discussed every thing with James Cameron. Jim actually gave it his seal of approval, going so far as to say that it contained insight and backstory that wasnt originally intended for the movie, but he wished he could have included it.

2001 A Space Odyssey. I actually much prefered the book - but they were written to work in tandem, rather than as "stand alone" works.

First ever book I read that I'd seen first as a movie was "Jaws" by Peter Benchley.
Quite different in parts - not least regarding Dreyfuss's character - but overall the main feel of the story was preserved.

The Dark Crystal novelisation was excellent, and faithful. Do not, repeat, do not go within five meters of a copy of the novelisation of Goldeneye. It is a vile manuscript to be condemned to the pits of firey hell.

I rarely read these, I don't know why. Perhaps it is just that since I've already seen the movie, I can't use my own personal imagination while reading the book, I've got to fit the story with what is already stuck in my head. Usually it is the other way around, I read a book before the movie based on it comes out. The only movie I saw before reading the book was Jurassic Park but that was a movie adaptation of the book (and quite inaccurate on some key points but otherwise pretty good).

I know that Alan Dean Foster has done a great deal of them but I couldn't tell you if they are any good or not. However, he has also written screenplays and such so should be a good person to do this accurately and fairly. Still, that is just a supposition, not having read any of them.

I lied. Just now thinking of Alan Dean Foster reminded me of 'The Last Starfighter'. I did read that one, but I read it before the movie - since I didn't see the movie until long after it was released in the theater. I don't remember being upset by any inconsistencies or inaccuracies (and these usually tick me off) so it was probably a fairly good adaptation. Actually, he may have written the screenplay for that one as well...not sure.

I tend not to go anywhere near novelisations of films, these days... Did read Robocop and Terminator 2, but was not in the least bit impressed...

I stick to original books... And leave it as that...

I consider that books are books and films are films - and never the twain shall meet!!!

I enjoyed Blade Runner and I enjoyed Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep, but no way could they be considered the same... Just like Starship Troopers!!! Book and film totally different.

I have read both Starship Troopers and Bladerunner, plus have seen the movies. I liked Starship troopers the book better than the movie (and i saw the movie first). I didnt like bladerunner the book at all. Not sure why, just didnt care for it. i loved the movie, however.

I liked the book of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull by James Rollins :cool:

I've been meaning to read Jurassic Park, having seen the movie twice. I know the book was written first so it's not really a novelization of an existing movie. Any comments about the quality of the book?

That's appropriate considering this thread is ancient. ;)

I haven't read too many film novelizations, but Alan Dean Foster wrote Alien and The Thing both of which I enjoyed.

Ive read both of those and they were good.

But in the novelization of Alien, The creature was quite different from the one in the film. :unsure:

I read a few film novelisations as a teenager. Mostly in the 80's, it was a good time for SF then and quick way to get into the genre for me. But I have to be honest, I always felt that the movie novelisation and by extension, many tie in books were a quick cash in by the studio. Even when the movie was based on an original book, the covers are changed to reflect the movie and I often felt that the book is somewhat cheapened by the movie until it's over and the original covers are back on the bookshelves.

Criticism aside, I have read and enjoyed many Star Trek and the Warhammer 40K novels.

My best achievement was being pushed into reading Frank Herbert's Dune before watching the movie, by my RE teacher. (I wish I could go back and thank him.)

Last edited:
Criticism aside, I have read and enjoyed many Star Trek and the Warhammer 40K novels.
Agreed. I'd forgotten the Star Trek books. Some were very good and others not so much, but I enjoyed them quite a bit. The W40K novels are a different thing altogether, but some of those were good as well. I'm pretty far behind on W40K.

Agreed. I'd forgotten the Star Trek books. Some were very good and others not so much, but I enjoyed them quite a bit. The W40K novels are a different thing altogether, but some of those were good as well. I'm pretty far behind on W40K.
I gave up with the Horus W30K books after 15. The God Emperor alone knows how many there are now.

A well-meaning relative bought me three Assassins Creed books (based on the enlightenment and Ottoman periods in the Ezio Auditore da Firenze Assassin).

My eyes still bleed from time to time ...

Appalling.

pH
:eek: Oh, the horror!

I was tempted to pick one of those books up. Good to know I made the right decision not to do so.:)

I've been meaning to read Jurassic Park, having seen the movie twice. I know the book was written first so it's not really a novelization of an existing movie. Any comments about the quality of the book?
It's maybe my all-time favorite novel, and I love it.

Believe it or not, the Revenge of the Sith novelization is excellent. Beautifully written, with some New Wave-y literary experimentation. Parts of it read like prose poems.

Back