5.20: 48 Hours

Yeah, I enjoyed this one as well - loved the Sam quip 'go suck a lemon' tee hee. Jeez what a pratt that bloke was - he deserved a lot more than a one liner for the 'I've always had a thing for dumb blondes' line. She should have kicked his ass across the commissary - she could do it too !

Wonder how Simmonds will get out of this one - it was good to see him on the receiving end.

And, oops, sorry we broke your DHD. Still they had to find a way to take the Russion DHD out of the equasion somehow, it was giving them an edge that the US certainly didn't want them to have.

Of course, great to Harry again !

I liked it - I have liked all the stories where the Russians have got involved - lets see more of them.

:cool:

A shame the DHD was destroyed. I think the next world they go to where they tell the inhabitants to 'bury their stargate' they should first get the Tok'ra to take the DHD to Earth in a ship. Actually, that probably won't work as the home symbol would be wrong for starters.

Nice to see Maybourne again too. I would be happy though to see the last of Simmonds. Fat chance I think.

Wonder what happened to the Gou'auld ?

Jaxie...the guy was a scientist that was brought in with Col Simmons to help solve the fact that Teal'c had got traped in the wormhole after the gate had closed!

I liked this one....

I very much doubt that Tanith is dead, it can't be that easy but I could be wrong.
I love to see Maybourne back and Jack chasing him around the truck was very funny!
Glad to see Simmons get whats coming to him...and Hammonds line of "Airman arest him and if he resists shoot him" made me laugh for a while.

Would like to see what come of the gou'ald as he was just left in his cage...would he have got out if there was no one to guard him.

I thought the parts with Danny, Major Davis and the Russion General were good...bless Danny for pleading for the loan of the DHD ;)

Overall a real good episode...only things missing was again not much of Teal'c, not much of them working together as a team of being off world...I really miss those things in SG1....:(

Thanks for the review Anni :)

I haven't seen this ep so I have a question. Did Davis have an interesting/important role? I know him and Danny went to Russia together so they must have had a pretty important job.

Although I agree that the exclusion of Teal'c for the majority of the episode seemed strange on a re-think I did really enjoy this one.

The favourite parts for me was seeing Sam mad :evil:

It's unusual for her character to be mentally challenged and although the "expert guy" was rather blunt I enjoyed watching Sam's reactions to his insulting comments.

"Go suck a Lemon !" is going to stick in my mind for some weeks to come and I'll have great pleasure in using that quote knowing it's true meaning in the Stargate Realm.

Although he was a little annoying I did like the introduction of the character - afterall to be based on real-life scenerio's you are gonna meet people like him who "know it all" and aren't prepared to go on gut instinct.

I was hoping she was going to get a line like "I told you so !" but it never happened.

Without those Sam moments this episode would not have worked as well for me.

I also agree it was good to see Maybourne back. It seemed like Daniel was sent to Russia because he was a spare part in this one. I can understand why MS is leaving if that's the type of role his character has to portray thesedays. Hardly something Daniel Jackson would be doing imo.

i just got to see it...can i tell everyone how much i love my new job? the one with all the toys that lets me do this stuff!

anyway, yeah it might not have been perfect but it's the first stargate i've seen since sept so i'm less than critical.

on a purely superficial note, sarcastic daniel and sam were in rare form, along with a stalwart hammond who would resign if it'd save teal'c.
and jack going after maybourne in the beginning.....i laughed so hard.

anyway, i'm on a new episode endorphin rush.

on the note of the goauld(who i'd really wish they'd give a name to by the way)...it's likely that they didnt' kill him because he is a valuable source of intelligence. and why not leave him in teh nid's capable <snark> hands...let them take care of him rather than the sgc...it also preserves a bit of the anonimity of how harry and jack found out where he is...

simmons....yeah so he's arrested. so was harry and see what happend to him.

did love the 'your host was going to kill a friend of mine' comment....something for the shippers to project about.

i did think it was convenient that the dhd got fried but we will still get a russian team soon.

it may not have been perfect but it was an emminantly enjoyable eps with fine moments for everyone

Hi,
I don't know if anyone else pointed this out somewhere else, but why couldn't they use the DHD found with the arctic gate (now in use)?

ST:rain:RM

Where's the 2nd DHD ???

Hi,

The only major flaw of this episode I found was that the SGC already had a DHD device in their possession (held at Area 51 ?)
ie., the DHD from the gate found at Antartica (Solitudes), which we later saw used by NID guys to escape (Touchstone). At the end of 'Touchstone' the 2nd stargate and DHD were being put into storage again.

In the season three cliffhangar (Nemesis) the 2nd stargate is ordered out of storage so that it can be used at the SGC, however the DHD is still in storage........

Arthur

Originally posted by storm
Hi,
I don't know if anyone else pointed this out somewhere else, but why couldn't they use the DHD found with the arctic gate (now in use)?

ST:rain:RM

umm.....a) it was a trick to destroy the russians' dhd so the sgc would have the only one (then again i still don't quite see how they managed to fit two flights to russis, there adn back, plus all that negotiating in 48 hours)

b) the guys that wrote 48 hours never saw solitudes and touchstone and noone told them we already had one so we really didn't need the one from russia

Trick to Get Russian DHD ?

Hi,

It was Daniel Jackson's idea to bargain for the DHD device from the Russians (ie., buy it, borrow it etc). He was doing this to resolve the crisis happening at the time ie., Teal'c stuck in gate buffer.

There is no way Daniel was there to trick the Russians, either overtly or covertly. If you believe this then you would also assume that the SGC had a hand in blowing up the DHD after using it.

It's just the way the episode ended, now that the Russian DHD device was ruined the Russians can not carry out threats to operate their gate (unless of course they built a computer system to operate the stargate).

Arthur

P.S. If you notice that my previous post, about the artic gate, has a timestamp of 1 minute after the previous post, where another person also mentioned about the artic gate. considering the time taken to write up a post, review it, edit it and then post it, it is conceivable that both posts were written at the same time. I alos quoted episodes as evidence whereas the previous post was not very long to begin with.

in this episode the tokra say that if the earth stargate had a dhd connected then if would have give the gate enough energy to put tealc back together.Then how come in the episode red sky when carter sent the maclearium through gate and cut the power so that the maclearium would end up in the sun, wouldn't the dhd on the other side provide the other gate with enough energy to put the maclearium back together on the other side.

It was fun to see a male guest star NOT fall for Sam for a change. (It's probably why he's still alive.)

I also enjoyed her reaction when he pointed out she had made a few miscalculations with the gate and caused major problems in the past (Red Sky). Naturally she turned out to be right in the end (she is 'Super Sam' after all), but it was still a refreshing change from the usual 'all men must love Sam' plotline. At least someone out there doesn't think Sam is so perfect.

Daniel and Major Davis had some good scenes with the Russians, this is the first time since 'Beast of Burden' that Daniel has had a real role. Instead of having him turn into a ball of light, they should have him join the Russian gate program (he speaks the language - 1969). It would make a lot more sense, and leave open a plausible way for him to return periodically.

Teal'c's behavior on the other hand wasn't so great. When is the SGC going to wake up and realize the driving force in his life is revenge, not loyalty to earth?

Teal'c is loyal to removing the Goa'uld from the throat of his people the Jaffa and in keeping the Tauri free he keeps the hope for Jaffa aliance with others fighting the Goa'uld alive... Revenge is a thing that is culturally (from the Goa'uld) taught and something that is very hard for him to rid himself of.... just think of American and the 9/11 situation or any of the places where ethnic violence and hatred is intense and there is revenge...
Teal'c does not have a justice system to get payment for Sho'noc's death... he has to do it himself. Really... who was going to try Tanith for killing Sho'noc? The World Court of the Tok'Ra? The Asgard? The Jaffa?

Hello jsc, nice to see you post again! I was concerned that you hadn't replied to my last two emails.....which is your perogative of course.....but that doesn't stop me being concerned about you. I hope everything is well with you and yours.

but getting back to Teal'c. Everything both of you say is true. However, I think that Jack is waking up to it.....and I also think that Daniel has been aware of it for some time. What strikes me is that there is very little they can do about it..... or would want to. As long as it's the 'bad guys' that Teal'c is exacting revenge from that is.

However, it is also true that you can't run with the hare and hunt with the hounds. Teal'c loyalties are divided by his own sense of overwhelming helplessness because his people are in slavery to another species. Very much the way racial feelings run high on earth today all of the time. Racial hatred is never far below the surface and is partly fuelled by a desire of the victims to be free of it. And indeed who can blame them?

I realise the reasoning behind the Stargte writers placing Teal'c in the position they have (i.e. part of an earth team, based among people who he is completely alien to) is a plot ploy, to give the struggling humans a fighting chance.....and in my view he is also the token 'black man' on the show. This latter point merely serves to emphasise that racial discrimination is alive and well and practised regularly especially in the TV and movie industry. They just utilise 'positive discrimination, but it's discrimination nonetheless.

Teal'c can't get over his conditioning....and realistically, someone like him would not be content to remain among the humans and fight their battles with them anyway. Considering the passion he feels about his people's slavery, I feel he would be with someone like Bra'tac and trying to cause dissention and insurrection among the Jaffa.....and considering the humans to be allies instead.... rather than be part of the human team. But the plot calls for him to be part of SG1 and in doing so all of these anomalies about his character raise their heads and won't be put down. And the further the writers explore his character the worse it would get, because finally they wouldn't be ABLE to justify him being part of the earth team. And this would destroy part of the premise of the script. I often feel that this is the reason why they haven't gone into his character too much. He is too much of an activist to fit comfortably into the pat and twee nature of the SG1 team as a whole.

Jean....if you do read this, please let me know that you are well. I have been worried and concerned that I may have upset you somehow (although I don't know how I would!)

:cool:

Hi Anni!
Has been allergy time over here! Been in and out of bed (to take brother in law to hospital... He finally had to have two inches of his bowel taken out... so that has been finishing me off from everything for the last week... Brother has been on the computer and son is trying to download LOTR everytime he has gotten on so nothing has been going out from me. Didn't even know you had sent emails... will go look when I catch up! When I had the energy to get up I had to drive, cook or sit with so brother and son have been doing their thing.... I just cough and hack and blow inbetween driving and sleeping....

I Know that T-Man is the token Black on the team... it is a theme that Coffeecup and I and now you are getting into. Whitemen have problems writing for an empowered Black man... and then put the alien thing in there and the fact that he has no channel for addressing wrongs except revenge... and his only allies are military.... And it is useful to have T-Man as an ally.... When he learns that there is another way perhaps he will be able to really lead his people...if they want to follow... but I don't see him overly exposed to that other way.... So he will keep holding to revenge..... just perhaps he will learn from Daniel.... but I don't know... the writers have really gotten this revenge thing going...
But since the revenge thing has been against individuals and not whole groups.... I think of it as one of the more difficult character flaws... something T Man has to wrestle with more. Keeping the Black man on the team has kept the writers from realistically putting him with Bra'tac where I think he would like to go.... Perhaps we will learn more when "The Warrior" airs... but with all this barrel scrapping........probably not!

Thanks for answering Jean.... I am silly to be concerned I know, but at present I am very sensitive as to whether the people I care about are okay. Daft really. It's almost as if my own trials illuminate the welfare of everyone around me!

:D :D

Thanks Anni,
I am glad someone worries about me! I feel like a convenience for the family..You know chauffeur and errand running and nurse.. when I just want to sleep and get better! I worry about you and your family also... so I guess we can be silly together! Anyway, it is more fun than being silly alone! I just pray that the wind will stop blowing from the east and my allergies will stop infecting me so I can start to get over this mess! Want Asgard back in the thick of things also as he has this muck, but he has been home in bed...(on the computer downloading and doing Baluder's Gate and homework)

Poor T-Man. I keep thinking about the interview I say CJ do about him... the Rebel With a Cause One... I wonder if he is altogether happy with the way Season 5 is going... but he will be back for 6.... if there is one.

If Mallozi does his the only think the Goa'uld's are good for are to eat their offspring one more time... you and I have to go and correct him! Am I in the mood!

Hey, I liked Daniel's part in 48 hours....As he is thereally reasonable one what will happen to the dynamicsof the team when he leaves.... More blood and guts? Less through the Stargate with reason?

I enjoy this episode, specially seeing Sam and the expert guy arguments. I think Sam manage him very well, I would have been much less polite is I was in her shoes. :lol: He was so annoying and irritating. The whole situation about the russians and their demands was very cool, and also the Teal'c dilemma. Love to see Maybourne again pairing with Jack, and Simmons getting arrested. Also love Hammond face to face with Simmons. It was a very good episode with a lot of great moments. As for Tanith, I will have love to see more of him specially is that was his death. :mad:

Krystal :D