The Point of DS9

Neo

Red Pixie Boot Wearer
a lot of people have complained that the end of ds9 was not good because teh main focus: getting the bajor into the ufp was not accomplished.
i think that that was just the mcguffin or red herring. that was sisko's mission but it was not really what ds9 was after. ds9 was after getting to the heart and soul (sometimes going to ugly places) of trek. no other incarnation gave depth to the races of trek like ds9. ultimately it was this exploration that rendered the bajoran entry into the ufp moot. they are reapplying in the relaunch.

the spiritual journey of sisko and the struggle against the dominion (dominiaton by outside forces) was the real meat of the show.

i will say that the father/ son ball was totally dropped and that theme should have plaid heavily but nobody is perfect even ira s behr.

I guess they could have thrown in Bajor being accepted into the federation at the end, but it wasn't necessary. I don't see this as any kind of failure of the show, like you say Sisko's journey and the interactions of the races were more important to the show. Odo's initial rejection of the founders, being cast out by them, and returning to save them is a good example of the good plot-lines the characters had.
I'm the first to admit it was slow and weak in the beginning, but it picked up into a good series, pretty much when Worf joined...

I am sooo glad it got better.... towards the third season

I think it got better just at the end of the 1st season actually, when Julian started to grow up, Dax stopped being a babe and started being a science officer, the station stopped breaking down and they inroduced all the political stuff with Bajor. It is only the first half of that season I dislike. It did get better and better, with the Defiant and Founders, then Worf and Klingons, leading to the War Arc and the crazy Gul Dukat.

It doesn't matter about the UFP membership, I don't remember Picard saying to Sisko "Your mission, should you accept it, is to get Bajor into the Federation."

And the Prophets business was left vague enough to make it all seem to be planned that way in the end.

I agree Julian did grow up alot... and dax was good as a babe and a science officer..

But i loved all the political stuff with BAjor

Yeah DS9 was my fave of all the series. It showed a side to the characters the other series couldn't go into with as much depth. With the genetically enhanced doctor and the bigotry that he and that faced him and Bajoran and Cardassians and the 1950's ep and the idea that the entire thing could just be a story from a guy in an institution.

LOL.... was a nice twist....

I think DS9 did alot more twists and arcs than anywere else

I love DS9 I watch it every week were I am its on at 3 and 4 A,.M. Mondays

Dru, what station in your area runs DS9??

no one's run it here (in VA) since ABC (coughhawkspit) sent it on it's way once the series run was finished ---

(i'll explain the ABC thing if anyone wants me to)

don't think my FOX affiliate is airing it -- but i can check, i guess --

thanx!

So, to the people who are not satisfied with the ending of DS9, if there was a DS9 film what would you want to see resolved, apart from Bajor joining the UFP?

what else should be resolved?? dunno - i actually thought the show ended quite nicely -- (course it's been a LONG time since i watched the final ep) --

honestly, the fact that Bajor didn't make it into the UFP was not an issue for me -- i didn't care one way or the other -- i didn't really think it was that important to the storyline -- but, i didn't see it from the beginning - i came in about season 3 (i think) -- so that might have had an affect ---

I thought it was cool and original that Bajor did not join the Federation. Especially as they decided that based on the warning of the Prophets through Sisko. It makes the ST universe a little more diverse. (Hey a little rhyme:smile: )

I missed a lot of S6 and 7 and still need to catch up. But I think I mostly know how it ended and I think they did a good job. It wouldn't be what I would have chosen, it wasn't typical or "happy ending-ish." I think that's why I like it.

I do hope to see all of the final season some day.

:star::smile::star:

I thought it was one of the best endings around..... Not like Voyager... It actually meant something and tied up a few loose ends... With the opening for more movies etc....

A movie would be good. If they did it though a lot of the characters may not be in it. Odo O Brien etc... I hope Garak would be though. He was one of my faves and his past is so dark and muddled. A little sense might not go amiss. but then again that might ruin his character. Does anyone else think the housekeeper was his mother?