5.21: Meridian

Originally posted by Jobeth
After all, we wouldn't have wanted to cut his important 'boasting about his reading abilities' moment

And 'speed reading' is so special because...?

It's not exactly difficult, now is it? I'm thinking that most students can do it, and it's an easy enough skill to learn, F.C.O.L.! :rolleyes:

Best wishes,
Hatshepsut The Unimpressed :wave:
--

Hat.....I don't think that Jobeth was saying that speedreading was anything to write home about. In fact I think she agrees with you about Jonas, although I might be wrong of course! ;)

I know that Jonas is not Daniel, and like another poster said previously, if they had treated Daniel's departure in the same tactful and tasteful way the MASH people did Henry Blake's then I believe that it would have at least mollified some of the more passionate among the MS/Daniel fans to some small degree. I still truly believe that it was the 'in your face' treatment meted out to the difficult subject of MS leaving which caused many of the fans to feel insulted at the cavalier and seemingly uncaring methods that Brad Wright and Co did this. This maturally led on to them feeling as though their favourite character and therefore in turn, their favourite actor in the show, had been insulted too.

And who knows? Perhaps MS *did* feel marginalised and upset by the way they treated his departure. I personally wouldn't have blamed him.

All in all I thought that Meridian was a tactless, empty and sterile episode, it's only mitigating factor was Amanda's and Chris's obvious distress. In fact their acting in that was the only thing which made it watchable as far as I was concerned.

:cool:

Originally posted by Anni
Hat.....I don't think that Jobeth was saying that speedreading was anything to write home about.

:lol: I'm absolutely certain she wasn't :D

In fact I think she agrees with you about Jonas, although I might be wrong of course! ;)

Oh, you're not wrong there, Anni! I think we're both on the same page. :evil: :upto: :naughty:

In fact, a forthcoming episode of my current fic., 'Timeo Danaos', contains a special little tribute to Jobeth, with grateful thanks. She'll know what I mean... ;)

Best wishes,
Hatshepsut :wave: - still chuckling...
--

Hat, don't you realize that Jonas' ability to read really fast qualifies him for a spot on a crack military team? Naturally that scene where he informs everyone of his 'unique' ability to read a whole book overnight was far more important to the show and viewers than any emotional interaction between long term characters.

As for Anni's point about the 'in your face' attitude of TPTB, here's an excerpt from a posting Joseph Mallozzi made to this yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1list/message/1700

Joseph Mallozzi A: . . . Of course, there are occasions when a show loses a much-loved character (that little monkey from Friends or the Ali McGraw character from Dynasty for example). It is unfortunate, but it does happen.

Gee, he compares Daniel's departure to the loss of the monkey on 'Friends'. I think that shows his attitude towards both the character and the fans. Is it any wonder a lot of people are angry?

Also, I remember Ali McGraw on 'Dynasty'. The show had been on for several years when TPTB tried to jam a has-been actor down our throats. They made a big deal about her joining the show, boasting about how 'improved' it would be. Then tried to elevate the character to a top position at the expense of the rest of the cast, she couldn't act, and was generally hated by the fans. H'm I DO see a similarity here.

Again.....without wanting to fan any flames into a heated roar here.....it just emphasises and reinforces my opinion that the wrong people were in charge of making this show.

I have heard fans criticise Joss Whedon for allowing certain characters from Buffy to be killed off....but of a certainty, he did it with a damnsight more forethought and consideration than Brad Wright, RDA and those writers did.

After five, nearly six years of a show, and fans telling me both online and at these conventions just how much Brad & co care for the fans' opinions and how much they love doing the show, all the departure of Daniel did with their treatment of it merely reaffirms that to most of them it's just a vehicle, because if they'd really given a damn they would have sat and thought about what they were doing.

I personally understand where they are coming from.....it's just a TV show blah blah.....and they're right, it is. However what annoys me is that they show this face to the rampant fandom which is completely opposite to their actions. I would have had more respect for them if they'd just come right out and said. "Look fans, this is just a damn TV show. We're just making it because it makes us money, good reputations and another entry on our resumes, so we don't care what anyone thinks. We're just gonna go ahead and do what we want and to hell with the rest of it." Instead we get all of this warbling from them about how they love making the show yadda yadda yadda.....

I have very little respect for the Producers of Stargate SG1. I have even less respect for two of their writers. I do however feel that poor old Jonas is suffering, not because he's an asshole, but because he has the colossal nerve to be Daniel Jackson's replacement in the team. But it's done....and it really doesn't matter how many SDJ website are up there or how many letters get written.

At the end of the day.....the worst thing about Meridan for me was Oma Desala in her corporate, anally retentive blue suit, that neat little hairdo and those neat little pursed lips. Not to mention the neat little earrings!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

I think i'll go over and have a grumble about the finale now!

xxx:aliengray
"The Mental Caffeine One"

Originally posted by Annette
Only thing 'wrong' with the episode I could see it felt rushed. An idea I feel TPTB could have done is spread it over 2 episodes.
annette :(
Quite frankly, I don't think I could have looked at DJ for two epys slowly bleeding to death in great pain . . . :dead:

It should have been quick and pointless.

In 'The Light' they could have had Jack come into Danny's house, walk up to him on the Balcony, and give him a good push!

lol push daniel, too funny :D

you know dave, you are actually on to something. they should have had o'neill possessed by something and kill daniel. now that would have been a suprise twist

but then we would have to look at the stereotypical anguished Jack for all of Season 6 . . .

I hadn't thought of that, Dave . . . quick and pointless would have made its own statement . . .

I do like the way they wrote the epy in that you knew from the first moment that he was going to die.

Originally posted by Texane
but then we would have to look at the stereotypical anguished Jack for all of Season 6 . . .

He hasn't always been as morose, bad-tempered and generally obnoxious as he was for much of Series 5, though. Sky is now re-showing Series 3 ('Legacy' tonight - great! :D )

The difference is quite staggering. Yes, Jack gets pissy from time to time - who doesn't?! - but humorously so. He also SMILES and can occasionally be quite charming. :)

I hadn't thought of that, Dave . . . quick and pointless would have made its own statement . . .

Yeah, kind of a metaphor for Shanks's leaving... :rolleyes:

Best wishes,
Hatshepsut :wave:
--

Originally posted by Texane

I dont know about you but any type of Jack is good enough for me!

xxx:rolleyes:
"The Sarcastic One"

Did I mention . . .

that Mallozzi is a self-centered, pompous, arrogant, low life, cretin? :eek: Just didn't want to forget that part. ;)

I have to agree with you Texane. I think the man is arrogant and his asscoation with the online fandom, dropping hints here and there and pontificating as he does has only increased his arrogance. The fans treat him virtually as some sort of god, even to the extent where some of the lists where he is purported to be a member will not even allow you to disagree with anything he says or his episodes.

It's all wrong when someone associated directly with a TV show gets that much power.

:(

Actually, the words 'enough' and 'rope' come to mind here.

Margaret Thatcher sacked everyone who disagreed with her and surrounded herself with 'yes men', and it proved to be her undoing.

If all you ever hear is what you want to hear, then you start to lose touch with reality. Until it creeps up behind you and bites you on the rear. :evil: :D

Best wishes,
Hatshepsut :wave:
--