Non Bio
Staff member
------------------------------------
Creating topic, remember you
can only discuss this film
inside this topic. Reviews of
the film are encouraged
------------------------------------

okay - considering i just bought/watched this movie last night, figured i'd comment --

upon re-watching Generations, i found it wasn't as dreadfully horrid as i remembered it -- guess i was paying more attn to the story than the last time --

however, it is disappointing that more of the TOS crew couldn't make it to the movie -- having Spock, at least, would have been awesome - tho, being 1/2 Vulcan, he's probably not very nostalgic - but more of the movie makes sense -- and i watched it for the "Star Trek" of it -- i don't even really know WHY i hated it the first time --

i mean, the story's kinda bland, and the idea that Kirk was still alive is kinda corny, but it did what it was meant to do - merge into the 'new era' --

however - i'm still wondering where Brent Spiner got the idea that Data's part was small -- it was no smaller than his parts generally were (proportionally) on TNG -- same w/ Troi -- (i had heard these 2 almost didn't do the movie b/c their parts were so small) -- Data was rather significant --- oh - and i think i recall why i thought this movie was bad -- Data's emotional 'trainwreck' sequence -- just a bit overacted, i think -- a bit TOO much 'emotion' --

tho, it was really funny when he pushed Crusher off the ship into the water - :D

so - any other thoughts????

I think the scriptwriter(s) had too much 'baggage' to carry. I thought it was reasonable, but they had too much that they needed to 'fit' in. If they had only had to use the TNG characters it would have been a better film. The 'Kirk still alive' was corny, but the Picard-Kirk scenes worked well. The Nexus was a corny plot device, but worked in the way it was meant to. Tollian Soran didn't seem particularly evil, maybe they should have developed him more, as a man who knew that what he was doing was wrong, but could not help himself.

yeah - the 'Nexus' was weird - but, right, they needed some 'excuse' to have Kirk still be alive --

ya know what they could have done? kept the opening sequence and still had Kirk die in that explosion, but have whomever attacked be angry at the 'aliens' that the Enterprise was saving and still be angry when the 'new' Enterprise comes sniffing around --- and go after ole Sorran --

or something like that --- then the Ent-D could 'investigate' the stuff from the earlier experience --

that Nexus thing was just 'funky' --

What about the HMS. Enterprise scene? You have to like that. Especially the "Sorry" from Riker when he removes the plank "by mistake" and lets Worf fall in the water, instead of retracting it.

"Number one, it's *retract* plank, not remove plank."

that was hilarious -- and then Data pushed Crusher in - i thought that was really funny - even if Crusher and Geordi didn't -- why? b/c it was classic Data -

but - the 'overacting' of emotion started to grate on my nerves about 2 mins after he put that stupid chip in --- but, then there's the 'oh sh**' scene - which is priceless ----

yes -- there should have been more focus on the 'good stuff' -- but they seemed to be more focused on the 'crossing over' of the 2 generations -----

I just re-watched this one today and there is something that kinda bugs me. Where did Data get the emotion chip? I remember the episode with Lore and the Borg. Data's gets the chip out of Lore. But I thought it was ruined, fused with Lore because of Data shooting him with a faser. Am I missing something?
:blpaw:

No, you are correct, but I think Geordi mended it in some way. he must have been reading up on Android engineering! :D :rolleyes:

You can see this must be the case because in 'Brothers' it is a small metal sphere, in 'Descent Pt II' it has become a small circle with a wedge removed, and by 'Generations' Geordi has altered it to become a one inch square object, with cylinders embossed on it! :D :rolleyes:

Not only that, but he installs it by taking off the top of Data's head and fiddles with an access port, while the old chip went in a side panel under Lore's right ear. :D :rolleyes:

Clearly, this is a different chip entirely!

Ahhh, well that explains it, I think :rolleyes: Thanks Dave :D
:blpaw:

I personally myself really enjoyed this film as it brought together the two captains at the time of the Enterprise

Best Bits

I loved this film. It's true what you say. If you haven't watched it for a while then it makes you realise how good it is.

As usual, I loved the action sequences. Especially the demise of the Enterprise-D (Isn't it funny how whenever Picard leaves Riker in command of the Enterprise, he trashes it! Also, why when Riker tells Troi to take them out of orbit does she just turn the ship round 180 degrees so that it's orbitting the other way?). Still, it was a great action sequence. If only they'd been more agressive towards the Klingon ship instead of firing once and then legging it. After all, the Enterprise has been up against tougher foes and still done better!

It really is emotional seeing the aftermath of the crash. After 7 years of loving this ship, seeing it in ruins really breaks my heart! The same goes for the death of Kirk.

I know Data's emotional overload seems excessive, I thought it was absolutely hilarious. If only we'd actually heard the "Ferengi in a Gorilla suit" joke during the Farpoint mission.

Finally, I realise they wanted a more darker and moody look for the film. But did they have to make the Enterprise-D look so darker compared to the TV series. I find it hard to believe that an upgrade would make the lights dimmer. The bridge of the Enterprise-A was brighter than this in "Star Trek 5"!

I thought the life forms song that Data briefly sung wsa great & made me laugh

:blush:

Excellent film. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

The lifeform song was funny as was when Data came out with the "Oh sh**". Also many funny parts and some sad ones.

annette :)

Arguably the last great trek film. Although I enjoyed STVI much more. I watched this entry out of duty than anything, to see how Kirk dies.

Dave said:
I think the scriptwriter(s) had too much 'baggage' to carry. I thought it was reasonable, but they had too much that they needed to 'fit' in. If they had only had to use the TNG characters it would have been a better film. The 'Kirk still alive' was corny, but the Picard-Kirk scenes worked well. The Nexus was a corny plot device, but worked in the way it was meant to. Tollian Soran didn't seem particularly evil, maybe they should have developed him more, as a man who knew that what he was doing was wrong, but could not help himself.

Well, that's just it: according to Brannan Braga and Ron Moore, Soran was never intended to be a fearsome villain, he was merely misguided. He was just a man who lost his ethical values, and wanted to be with his family at all costs. Desperate men do desperate things.

Whitestar

Highlander II said:
"Number one, it's *retract* plank, not remove plank."

that was hilarious -- and then Data pushed Crusher in - i thought that was really funny - even if Crusher and Geordi didn't -- why? b/c it was classic Data -

but - the 'overacting' of emotion started to grate on my nerves about 2 mins after he put that stupid chip in --- but, then there's the 'oh sh**' scene - which is priceless ----

Amen! :cool: That scene where Data curses had the whole audience roar with laughter, myself included. :D

Whitestar

Acting was mostly acceptable, the standouts being Shatner, Stewart, Goldberg, and Burton.
Sadly Brent Spiner''s talents were wasted on a humor subplot that dragged, and Michael Dorn's role was practically non-existent!
Its just a shame that a better script could not have been developed to best faciliate the Next Gen's jump to the big screen.

Last edited:
My favorite Trek movie and always will be. The themes of death and striving for a legacy stand out as some of the best philosophy Trek has given us. Plus, we get Picard's great quote: "Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. But I rather believe that Time is a companion, that goes with us on the journey, and teaches us to cherish every moment, for it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived. After all, number one, we're only mortal."

Perfection.