Non Bio
Staff member
------------------------------------
Creating topic, remember you
can only discuss this film
inside this topic. Reviews of
the film are encouraged
------------------------------------

This has to be my second or third favourite ST film -- it's difficult, I like them all. I love all the Klingon stuff. I like Captain Sulu.

Great lines

Someone says if they don't find the murderers they will all be dead.

Spock: I've been dead before!

Nitpicking

It's full of little mistakes, but who cares!:cool:

I like this one, the only one I truly dislike and would have a difficult time watching again is Generations, and ST:V comes close 2nd to that one, then TMP --

but - anyway ----

I actually used this movie in my Poli Sci senior thesis in college -- my thesis was on political structures in motion pictures -- and ST:VI had the Klingon court - not to mention the greatest line ever (from a poli sci standpoint anyway):

"There's an old Vulcan proverb: Only Nixon could go to China." -- spoken, of course, by Mr. Spock!

i love this line (tho i forget exactly how i interpreted it - i know i gave 2 examples - just can't remember what they were) -- i think one was -- only Nixon would be stupid enough to do it -- and there was something else, and i can't remember - tho i should --

from a poli sci view - we see a trial and sentance and prison and escape -- (gotta go watch this again to get the rest) --

very interesting --- and a well-done 'pick me up' after ST:V -

This, IMO, was the best out of the original series movies, although I have only seen I, II, III, VI, and VII. It was just quite kewl how we got to see a glimpse of Klingon Government; not the whole warrior-race aspect, but their actual government, the workings of the Empire, and we get to see that there are intricies, deceit, betrayal, etc that we didn't expect in this apparently primitive culture.

I find it hard to say which is the best. This is one of them, but I like the humor in 'The Voyage Home'.

If ST:V 'The Final Frontier' is the only one you missed then you haven't missed much. It is almost certainly the worst episode, (although the campfire scene at the beginning is good.)

i did like the Klingon court scenes - but, i'm a sucker for back-story - i love it -- hate it when we don't have any --

as for ST:V - yes, worst ever, but has that great campfire scene at the beginning - which makes the rest of the movie such a 'let down' -- i love the 'Row, row, row your boat' sequence --

"Captain."
"Yes, Spock?"
"Life is NOT a dream."
"Go to sleep." (or something to that effect)

When Chancellor Gorkon dies, why don't all the Klingons do that death howl thing that they do in "Heart of Glory"TNG, and that Worf does when K'Ehleyr and Jadzia die?

In "Redemption"TNG Gowron says that women may not serve on the high council, so how does Azetbur get to take over?

I guess a lot of changes took place in the Klingon Empire after this disaster!

guess so -- tho the 'death howl' should have been present there - that's kinda weird - b/c the Klingons have a lot of tradition in their history and it appears to have been there for quite some time -

hey - when are the Kitomer accords supposed to have been signed? and is it prior to or after this Kirk on trial thing in ST:VI???

The Khitomer Accords were signed after the conference. That was the point of the conference, why it was so important.

But the film was made about the time "Unification" was being made, so no excuse for not using the death chant established already in "Heart of Glory".

okay - thnx --

i guess i need to go back and read over my ST Chronology book -

and i haven't gotten around to watching this one again --- need to go pick up some details ---

i like ST VI but is it be or is rene arbourjonis or whatever his name is in this? (Odo) as i have seen Tim Russ (Tuvok) in Generations and Micheal Dorn (Worf (DUH!)) in ST VI but i could swear that it is Odo guy in it aswell as a human (the klingon who is shot by Scotty at the end and has the mask taken off of him and you see Odo's face
i would check myself but it is taken from T.V. and i taped over the credits with the Generations so i really would like to know if im right thanks.

You're Right!

You're absolutely right, it is him. He plays Colonel West in the uncut version with the "Scooby Doo" ending ("And I would've got away with it if it wasn't for you blasted Klingons!"):D Sorry, couldn't resist that one!

What has always confused me about this movie was the pretense that the Klingon home world would be dead in 50 years (or something like that). Yet, in TNG (80 or so years later) they seemed to be alive and well. What gives?

jom

Welcome to AsciFi Jom! :wave:

Think there are three possible and viable reasons here, take your pick:-

1/ Now the Klingons are friends with the Federation, the Federations supplies all the technical hardware to allow the Klingon homeworld to survive.

2/ They find new power sources.

3/ They had a mass removal and literally abandoned Quonos in favour of Quonos II

I have to say, this is my favorite ST movie. Maybe it's because this was the first one I ever watched all the way through, or maybe it's because Spock and Bones are my fave. original series characters and they shone here.

I was watching this last night for the first time in almost a year, and loved it. It had so many great lines.

In the court scene, Kirk is defended by a Colonel Worf.

Would this be a relation to our Worf?

Originally posted by ray gower
In the court scene, Kirk is defended by a Colonel Worf.

Would this be a relation to our Worf?

IIRC it was meant to be Worf's great-grandfather. Only later on in TNG we found out that Worf was the son of Mogh, and in DS9 from the House of Mogh. So maybe a small continuity error arises (never! :D ). Shouldn't that have been the House of Worf?

Originally posted by Dave

IIRC it was meant to be Worf's great-grandfather. Only later on in TNG we found out that Worf was the son of Mogh, and in DS9 from the House of Mogh. So maybe a small continuity error arises (never! :D ). Shouldn't that have been the House of Worf?

I don't know if that's necessarily a goof though. Is there anything in canon that says who a Klingon house is named after? The house of Worf (senior) could have been renamed at some point to the house of Mogh, and may well be renamed back to the house of Worf in honour of Worf (junior).

Gowron abolished his House, so the problem no longer arises. He was adopted by the House of Martok.

Still, it does show that these Houses are a very fluid kind of thing, so maybe you are correct, and they frequently change names.

Yeah I forgot about the abolishment of the house of Worf/Mogh, whoops!! Perhaps Martok will allow Worf to have his own family back at some point, as a reward for loyal service, etc. Maybe now he won't be nipping off to join Picard for any more movies ;)

Back