Non Bio
Staff member
------------------------------------
Creating topic, remember you
can only discuss this film
inside this topic. Reviews of
the film are encouraged
------------------------------------

watched the first 20 or so minutes of this one last night (yeah, did a whole big ST thing yesterday) --- anyway --

i love the camping scene -- Spock toasting marshmallows!! hehe - and the 'row row row your boat'! funny! (esp since neither McCoy nor Kirk can sing on key if they had to - McCoy has the better voice of the two IMO, tho) and this is about as far as i got last night - JAG came on - had to watch DJE!!

i'll finish it tho -- might take me several days -- but i'll finish it --

after this -- TMP --- (aye - V'GR -- eek)

Interesting trivia: Harve Bennett (cowriter of ST:II, writer and producer of ST:III, cowriter and producer of ST:IV and of this film ST:V, as well as the Six Million Dollar Man and other shows) plays the part of a Starfleet Commander in this movie. It doesn't make it any better though!

yeah - i noticed that when i finally got to the credits -- oh - and this one is STILL as bad as i remember it, unlike Generations which was a bit better the 2nd time --

this movie had NO point - what were they doing? oh, yeah - looking for God - uh - okay -- and what did God turn out to be? some big bad alien who wanted to take over the ship -- gee - we've never seen THAT before ---- then Sybok 'feels his pain' and becomes the alien?? or something -- not really sure how that works -- weird -- bad story -- could have been a LOT better! oh - so much could have been done w/ this idea --- ie: they could have had problems on shore leave -- instead of being an entirely 'space - based' movie --- (tho IV was 'earth' based b/c they were looking for those whales, but that was 20th Cent Earth) --- i dunno - i'm just trying to figure out how this movie even got produced --- did anyone even READ the script??

Definatally my least favorite, I have it and it's still in the plastic. :eek: One of these day's I'll unwrap it and watch it and remember just how bad it was.
:blpaw:

I watched it again today- Thanks BBC!- It even made Battlestar Galactica (shown a little earlier) look good.

The film is high camp directed for the laughs and it showed. I haven't watched rock climbing like Kirk on the rock face since Batman. Still it idled away a few idle hours!

With Shatner as co-writer and producer. I think his first time out as either, it would be too much to expect much.

Originally posted by ray gower
I haven't watched rock climbing like Kirk on the rock face since Batman.
:D

LOL

As Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Sybok fly the shuttle to Nimbus III to investigate the planet, "God" takes control and lands the vessel for them. He parks the shuttle quite a long walk away from the meeting. Couldn't "God" have landed it any closer?

Trek V To Be Reworked?
SCIFI WIRE -- The TrekWeb site reported a rumor that Paramount may be considering issuing a reworked version of the maligned fifth Star Trek movie, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, which was directed by star William Shatner. Citing anonymous sources, the site reported that the studio,encouraged by the success of recent director's editions of the first and second Trek films,may be in talks with Shatner about retooling the movie for a future DVD release.

A decision may be imminent, the site reported. Fans have expressed a desire to use modern visual-effects technology to restore original storyboarded sequences for the film, including a sequence toward the end involving rock creatures.

The question is: Can it ever be raised from it's position as the most unpopular trek film?

An ok entry but nowhere as good as it could-and should-have been. Because of this, now everyone thinks Bill Shatner cant write or direct worth a darn.
Best parts: heavy empahsis on friendship between Kirk, Spock and Bones.

Bad parts: scenes where crew join Sybok over Kirk, not enough of Planet Hell. Oh and the 3 dilplomats were horribly realised and left by the wayside once Enterpise got to Nimbus III.

This is my second favourite Trek behind Wrath of Khan. Mainly because it's like an extended version of the original tv series than a standalone movie.

Ok , there are some bits that don't make a great deal of sense, and others where characters are introduced but nit used properly, but overall I find it a really interesting film. The interactions between Kirk, Spock and Bones at the beginning of the film really are heartwarming and one of the most emotional, feel-good bits of Trek out of anything Trek-related shown on the big or small screen before or since.

In many ways the film reminds me of my favourite Trek episodes 'The Menagerie' with the Enterprise being hijacked and taken to a far away world with the best intentions in mind. I agree that there are plotholes and many missed opportunities, but if you accept what you are given rather than questioning then it's a great ride.

Yes I agree that a director's cut (hopefully with some previously unseen cut footage) could have the potential to massively improve the movie, and make it make a bit more sense.

It's certainly an awful lot better than Insurrection and Nemesis.

It had lots of good elements that just didn't come together.

Come on Paramount. Let Billie finish the thing properly before he really does fall off a cliff!

Back