Non Bio
Staff member
------------------------------------
Creating topic, remember you
can only discuss this film
inside this topic. Reviews of
the film are encouraged
------------------------------------

okay - just watched this one too (still under the weather - i skipped 2 days of work, so i watched ST movies)

This is the best of the 'odd' numbered ST films -- (ya'll know the whole thing about the even numbered ones being good and the odd numbered ones being crap, right?)

Robin Curtis takes over from Kirstie Alley as Saavik (sp?) (btw - trivia -- Robin Curtis was a photojournalist on a first season ep of MacGyver) -- and does fairly well -- (she had her eyebrows pointed!)

oh - and Christopher Lloyd makes one hell of a Klingon!!

and i kind of liked the storyline about Spock 'regenerating' - and going through all the Vulcan 'childhood' and 'puberty' things - gives some insight into the Vulcan race (i like backstory!)

didn't really catch anything in the way of plotholes (under an OTC drug-induced haze it's hard to catch those things) but i'll watch more closely the next time i sit down to veiw ST:III

Originally posted by Dave
You didn't find it convenient that Spock stops regenerating at an age exactly the same as when he died. :D

that is rather convenient -- however, like i said - i was under the groggy influence of my cold medication, so i missed a lot that wasn't straight plot stuff ---

that is kinda weird tho ---- like the planet KNEW how old he was?

how long do Vulcans generally live, anyway? Average life span?

I don't know the average age, but Sarek was 203 when he died in "Unification, part I".

that's quite a long time ----

how old is Spock supposed to be at the end of ST:II??

Yes, and the point is that by ST:X, that would make him only about 150. Some people have suggested he should appear since it involves Romulus, but Leonard Nimoy would look much too old to play a 150 year old Vulcan.

Yes, and the point is that by ST:X, that would make him only about 150. Some people have suggested he should appear since it involves Romulus, but Leonard Nimoy would look much too old to play a 150 year old Vulcan.

Too bad, I would love to see him in one more movie.

it would be nice to see him but very un likely....

Originally posted by Lonewolf89
Who knows, he is half human.

I NEVER considered that, I don't know why, but it is the perfect excuse for his early aging.

(Neo is referring to real life reasons though, and he's probably correct.)

So much for Vulcan logic.

At the end of the movie, Sarek waxes lyrically about the great cost that was incurred bringing Spock home to Vulcan. He specifically mentions the death of Kirk's son, David Marcus, as one of these costs.

David didn't die because Kirk wanted to bring Spock back to Vulcan. The Klingons wanted the Genesis device so badly, that he probably would have died at their hands whether the Enterprise had gone to the Genesis planet or not.

Saw this movie again at the weekend, after not having seen it for a long time..... Definetely the best "odd" trek movie in the TOS section. Some powerful scenes, including Kirk's infamous "Klingon b*stards killed my son", and the first destruction of the Enterprise!

The change in actress for Saavik is pretty seamless, and perhaps even an improvement on Kirsty Alley..

The lead Klingon, Lord thingybob was The Doc from Back to the Future if I'm not mistaken, I either didn't know or had forgotten that! But he was quite good, reasonably consistent with the movie Klingon's to that point, and not too far off the TNG/DS9 Klingons. Frying his soldier for blowing up the Grissom was a bit harsh, but Klingons dont really tend to hold power by being soft on suboordinates!! The 2nd gunner made sure his shooting was much better!!

Thumbs up from an old fan! Well not that old, but anyway......

Dave said:
You didn't find it convenient that Spock stops regenerating at an age exactly the same as when he died. :D

Well, I was under the impression that since both the planet Genesis and Spock were linked age-wised, they were both dying, hence, the aging process began to slow down, which was imperative to get Spock off the planet as quickly as possible.

Whitestar

I am inclined to think that this movie is a lot more moving to those who actually have children.