Alan Dean Foster

Nice site, looks like he lives an interesting life.;)
I actually have his Spellsinger series all together in one book called Season of the Spellsong. Completely enjoyable.:D

No!!:( What are those called? Are they any good? I didn't know anything about those.
I'm rereading the Spellsinger series right now.:D

I can't remember the title of the first one but the second I think is called Chorus Skating. According to the reviews at amazon.com, they aren't as well liked as the original series. Especially the first as it deals with hip hop and rap music and a great deal of the criticism deals with the fact that old man Foster knows diddly-squat about hip hop and rap music. That wouldn't faze me as I don't either! :)

I haven't read either one but I sure will as soon as I can either purchase or find an old copy somewhere. I'd like to get a set of the original series, but of course that will have to go on my list of future wants for when I actually have some spending money.

dwndrgn said:
I haven't read either one but I sure will as soon as I can either purchase or find an old copy somewhere. I'd like to get a set of the original series, but of course that will have to go on my list of future wants for when I actually have some spending money.
I know what you mean! Juggling bills is no fun.:mad:

I almost brought one of that series(at least I think it is called by that name) because it was hard cover and it was on sale:D (small purse). What was it about again? I forgot all of the things I read on that book's back........

Very basically it is about a guy in college who wakes up in a world where the animals are as intelligent as humans and can talk. He joins forces with some of the locals to prevent "the end of the world".:) It's somewhat old, I believe it originally came out in the '80s. But I thoroughly enjoyed it.:D Has a lot of humor in it.

The first book in this series is called Spellsinger. I have the first 6 books and remember enjoying the series very much. It was one of the first I ever read :)

i've been told to avoid the followup spellsingers like the plague. i've tried one of his others, more science fiction than fantasy, and wasn't very impressed, although i often find this when authors try to cross genre.

Princess Ivy - The entire Spellsinger series is rather lighthearted and yes, some of the later works aren't as well thought out as the first but they are still quite enjoyable.

The Catechist series is very good rune, I'd suggest you give it a try. One thing though, if you read the first you will have to read the last as there is a major plot twist revealed that really should be witnessed by the reader.

I liked his novel Splinter of the Minds Eye :cool:

I read a lot of Alan Dean Foster's work in the 80's. Mostly his movie Tie In books and some standalone novels like Catchalot. As a teenager, i'd look for his work often.

I have three first editions on my bookshelves. The Howling Stones and the first two of the Call to Arms Trilogy. (I must look on Ebay to get the third.)

I didn't realise that he was still going strong

Didn't he write the Alien novelization? And apparently his Pip & Flinx book are supposed to be good, just don't know the order.

Didn't he write the Alien novelization? And apparently his Pip & Flinx book are supposed to be good, just don't know the order.

He Alien and I think he did Aliens as well . :unsure: