4.15: This Year's Girl

markpud

Former Ascifi.com mod
4.15 : This Year's Girl

So you think the Initiative is the greatest threat to Buffy? Have a little Faith. (OB)

nice pun --

and can i say that Faith started to get on my nerves about 14 episodes ago?

she's a nicely developed character - but terribly over-used (did i just say that?) --

why couldn't they do something similar w/ Spike? or even Angelus? (evil Angel didn't get as much airtime) or Dru? what gives? vampire prejudice? ;)

anyway -- i know this leads into the next ep, which is pretty good, but still - too much Faith -----

Anyone notice, before Faith wakes up and either she or Buffy is dreaming, don't remember which, where they're making the bed?

Faith-in-dream says something along the lines of "Yeah, little sister's coming."

Now, I didn't even notice that the first time I watched this (before S5), but now that I've seen the beginning of s5, I picked up on that little line right away.

Anyone else think foreshadowing?

you know -- i had the EXACT same thought!

i heard that and thought - "HUH?" they're already planning for....

(i'll just leave that) ----

[Analise: Faith-in-dream says something along the lines of "Yeah, little sister's coming."]

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the little sister referred to is Faith.

Based on these lines from right before the battle that put Faith in the coma.

Faith: Come to get me? You gonna feed me to Angel? You know you're not going to take me alive.

Buffy: Not a problem.

Faith: Well, look at you. All dressed up in big sister's clothes.

-----

Buffy is the big sister and Faith is the little sister - sisters in Slaying.

okay - yeah - i can see that too ---

i didn't pay all that much attention to a lot of the Faith stuff - b/c i'm not real fond of her ---- so, i might have missed that --

It stuck in my mind because it's a great example of what I'm always trying to tell my friends about - the writing, the writing, the writing.

I haven't done this before, but let's look in-depth at one clever line. What is Faith saying?

- You're going to be all Ms. Responsibility on me? Make me do the right thing, eh.

- You think you're better than me, bigger, older, all that. I'll always be the Junior Slayer to you.

- This is a new look for you. You're changing your style in order to deal with me.

- You're here to scold and punish me. Play the surrogate parent.

- And yet, we're family, we're as closely bonded as sisters.

And she didn't just say, "So you've decided to take charge." Instead she refers to Buffy as wearing big sister clothes. A great visual metaphor which conveys so much and yet is right on point.

That's what I have a hard time explaining to skeptics about Buffy. That the writing is so exceptionally insightful and entertaining.

You know when I heard that line about being dressed up in big sister's clothes, I was thinking that it was Buffy dressing up like Faith ... Faith being the big sister, not Buffy.

Cheers,

yeah - explaining Buffy can be tough --

and i LOVE the writing ---

one of my favorite things is that Spike is always telling Buffy things and she completely ingnores just about everything he tells her, then a little later she gets the same information from a different source, but never acknowledges the fact that Spike told her the same thing --

best example (or the only one i can think of) is from season 5 (yeah, i'll include the spoiler thing)

In "Fool For Love," Spike tells Buffy that death is her art; that she wants it, something like that; then in "Intervention," she goes on her vision quest and is told that death is her gift by the 1st slayer spirit (or whatever she was) - sounds very very similar to me -- Spike told her that - and she thought he was crazy, then the guide tells her the same thing, and she's confused, but believes the guide --- just one of those things

The big sister has to be Faith because previously before the discussion you quoted before Buffy was going to kill Faith to feed her blood to Angel, they had a discussion where this was said:

Faith: Yeah, you know exactly what I'm about because you have it in you too.

Buffy: No Faith, you're sick.

Faith: I've seen it B, you've got the lust. And I'm not just talking about screwing vampires.

Buffy: Don't you dare bring him into this.

Faith: It was good, wasn't it? The sex, the danger. I bet a part of you even dug him when he went psycho.

Buffy: No.

Faith: See, you need me to rely on because you're afraid you'll go over it, aren't you B? You can't handle watching me live it my own way, having a blast because it tempts you. You know it could be you. There's my girl.

First of all Faith is way more matured then Buffy...more let loose..she says that buffy wants to be like her..so she's the big girl..and i'm gonna quote the fight scene...

Buffy: There's a cure.

Faith: Damn. What is it?

Buffy: Your blood. As justice goes, it's not unpoetic, don't you think?

Faith: Come to get me? You gonna feed me to Angel? You know you're not gonna take me alive.

Buffy: Not a problem.

Buffy: You told me I was just like you- that I was holding it in.

Faith: Ready to cut loose?

Buffy: Try me.

Faith: Okay then. Give us a kiss.

Look at the bold portion...it is Faith specifiacally talking to Buffy saying to her that she's finally a big girl.

Faith overused? Oh come on now, there is no such thing.:D If anything the last 2 seasons have made me miss her more and more.