sc feminist (be warned, this post mentions the 'B' word)

Ice

In the early, early eps (season 1. ep 1,2,3,4) Sam carter, to me, seem to be a real feminist. Out in the military to prove some-thing.
'Burn thoughs bras!'.... Sorry.
N,e,way...she seems to have settled down a lot since then and now fits into the team quite nicely...along with her bra.
What do you guys/gals think?

~Ice~

LOL!!

Yes, you're right! In some of the Amanda Tapping interviews, she actually addresses this issue.

The actress is herself a feminist, and realized that many of the lines the (mostly male) writers were putting in Sam's mouth in the early episodes were not how a woman would speak or make her point about being capable and intelligent.

She said something along the lines that she likes the fact that as the show has progressed, Sam has been able to just get down to business and be part of the team, without having to always get up on the tired ol' soapbox.

I agree. It's great to see a woman getting her job done, without having to always strive to have her talents accepted.

:D

That's what feminism is to me: acceptance as an equal with men and women... and comfortable shoes!
-- Adele

One more thing, about that 'B word'

There are times and places to burn things. There are also times and places for society to produce comfortable and useful clothing, including undergarments, for both genders.

Frankly, I don't care what the team wears under their fatigues, as long as they've got some kind of kevlar layered in there to prevent weapons fire from doing too much damage!

I'm sure there have been plenty of boxers vs. briefs vs. thongs debates here about Jack, Daniel and Teal'c's preferences, though I'm not sifting through the other forums to find 'em!

Judging from the first-season Broca Divide ep, Sam sometimes wears a tank top rather than other options under there. Looks mighty fine, too.

I'm going to stop now before this degenerates further into the gutter; kids will probably have their eye on this thread! :)
-- Adele

Re: LOL!!

Originally posted by adele.s

I agree. It's great to see a woman getting her job done, without having to always strive to have her talents accepted.

Yeah I agree with that one!;)

yes season 1 sam was...well pretty annoying. i've worked in places where i'm the only girl among a dozen guys. and the way to be accepted (generally) is to do your job and prove that you can do it...without playing the 'i'm a woman treat me special' card.
treat them as equals and generally they'll treat you the same way.

i'm glad to see that sam has settled in...well mostly by the middle part of season 1. her anatomy may be different but she's 1/4 of sg-1 regardless of what she has to wear under her uniform.

Yeah, I think the writers in the first series did go a little over the top with "Im a woman and I can do anything you can" theme.

I'm sure they just wanted to show that Sam was a character and not just a girl that the guys could swoon over.

I think she's come along really nicely:D

I'm also glad to start seeing more women extras again. It seemed in Season 2 - 4 you hardly ever saw women techs and SFs, and we're starting to see them again.

I also like how they don't do the alien princess thing much anymore (after Broca Divide, Need, etc).

You may recall . . .

the first epy that Amanda Tapping was in. She appeared as a member of the team that our now beloved Jack did not get to approve. He acted like a jacka**, and was rude to her for a few epys.

It appears that each of the character's in-your-face attitude calmed down at about the same pace.

Been looking at this old thread a couple of times now. None of 'em who commentated has been on here for over a decade.
I wonder if it's worthwhile to revive or should it just fade away?