jeri ryan's new tv role

little star

expert member
The following info about Jeri Ryan's next tv role comes from Startrek.com:
Ryan Contrasts "Ronnie" with "Seven"
The new teacher on Boston Public next season, "Ronnie," will be much more freely expressive than the character Jeri Ryan has played the last four years on Star Trek: Voyager.
"This is going to be my emotional challenge as an actor," Ryan told reporters yesterday during the Fox TCA (Television Critics Association) Summer Press Tour. "It's sort of one end of the spectrum to the other." But, she said, "This is why you become an actor, to play vastly different characters. And it's really exciting for me."
She compared her new role to her ex-Borg character on Voyager. "Seven of Nine had every human emotion, because she was human before she was — oh, no, now we're getting into that again — before she was 'assimilated into the Collective.' Oh, man..." Ryan laughed as she reverted back into Star Trek-ese. "So she had all of these emotions, she just wasn't comfortable expressing them, and didn't really know how to express them."
In contrast, "Ronnie, my character on Boston Public, is quite comfortable expressing them, and is fairly free with her expressions, I think. So it's going to be a lot of fun. It's going to be much more free, as far as the acting style."
Ryan starts shooting today on the Fox drama produced by David E. Kelley. She described her character as a wealthy corporate attorney who is an old friend of one of the teachers at Winslow High. "She sees him making a difference in these kids' lives and realizes how superficial the life that she's leading is," Ryan said. Ronnie is inspired to leave that lifestyle behind and become a teacher herself, but her background and unorthodox methods "get her into a little bit of hot water with the other teachers."
Ryan said she didn't hesitate very long before accepting Kelley's offer to be on the show. "I really came into this show sight unseen, as far as the character, because he hadn't written it. He wrote it for me, which is a huge, huge honor."
But she hasn't forgotten the role that made her so popular with the fans. "Seven of Nine was great fun to play. As an actress, she was a gift, she really was. She was a very rich character — subdued, but very rich. She was a great pleasure for four years."
Being on another one-hour drama means more long working hours, so her availability to appear at conventions and other Star Trek-related events will be limited. But she will honor the commitments she has already made for later this year. "That's a big part of my life. That's a big part of my career. And I'm not going to pooh-pooh it." She described Star Trek fans as "so loyal. They are remarkably passionate and supportive fans. And that's great. You've got to embrace that. God bless them!"
However, one advantage to no longer being a Star Trek character is, "There will be no rubber glued to my face. I have made sure. Hair and makeup and wardrobe like a normal human being. I'm very excited. I could do my interpretive dance to show what this means to me, if you'd like..."

little star :star:

Qwxy

The Star Trek Oracle
hi little star thanks for the Jeri Ryan interview bit.
I am over joyed that jeri will still be on tv even if i dont get to see it :< oh well at least i know somewhere she is doing a good job
thanks again for the info

little star

expert member
hi Qwxy!

You don't get 'Boston Public' where you are?

I haven't tuned in to the series yet, so I can't give a personal opinion on whether it's good or not, but I might check it out!

little star :star: