Data's past (another brother??)

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
I've heard a rumour, in several places now, the latest being Sky Text, that we see Data's brother in Star Trek:X. They don't seem to mean Lore, but another different brother.

I know, it's only rumour, but John Logan (scriptwriter) said in an interview that we would learn more about Data's past, so I am tempted to believe this one.

The only problem is that although Dr. Noonian Soong did make four other androids before Data, Lore was the fourth one, we were told that they were unsuccessful. Lore was the first android to become functional, but he malfunctioned, exhibited dangerous behaviour, and was disasembled. Data was the fifth android, and Juliana, a superior android in the image of his wife, came later.

So is this one of the three androids that didn't work, or is it a later more superior model, and if so where has it been hiding?

Interesting

Oh what an interesting rumor ...could it be possible that perhaps his wife Juliana used her late husband Noonien's work to construct another Android after Data?

Just speculation!!!

Cheers
Stripe

maybe we discover that its someone data has met before, but did not know was an android at the time...

Spoilers.

WARNING SPOILERS

w
a
r
n
i
n
g

I found this concerning B-9. I can't vouch for the validity of it, but is interesting.

Ritterson Keys- Episode Guides

B-9 is a prototype brother of Soong's androids, looking exactly like Data and Lore. However, his neural pathways are not as advanced as his successors, so his mentality is that of a slow child. He is also one of the pawns in Shinzon's game of intrigue. He learned of B-9's existence through a Cardassian cybernetics historian, and then had archeological teams search "every millimeter of Omicron Theta" to look for him.

Once found, B-9 was modified with an extra memory port, disassembled and placed in six pieces on a planet on the Federation side of the Neutral Zone. Shinzon hoped that the Enterprise would detect B-9's positronic signature and transport him to their ship. Once there, B-9 would be able to access the ship's computers and look for "basic stellar cartography: star charts; some uplinks from colony tracking stations and [Earth's] Orbital [Defense] Grid."

B-9 is indeed found by the Enterprise, and they attempt to find out more about him. Remember in The Next Generation's infancy, how the crew reacted to Data whenever he would spout off details? This leads to an amusing time-lapse scene on the Enterprise where B-9 tells Riker, Data, Crusher, and La Forge where he's been since he was initially built and what alien species he's since encountered. Crusher and Riker get bored rather thoroughly and walk out with separate excuses, but La Forge eventually even falls asleep. Meanwhile Data remains completely engrossed with B-9's details.

In an attempt to help B-9 become less like a child and more like himself, Data asks La Forge to help him place his own memory engrams into B-9's neural net. Unfortunately, the attempt appears to be unsuccessful, and La Forge suggests that it could take a while for B-9's positronic matrix to adapt.

If that link is true there is a sad ending though.

I don't think it is likely that the android will be called B-9, since that was the name of the 'Lost in Space' robot (unless that is an intentional joke.)

I've found a great A to Z of Robots site.

Hee Hee.

I actually, think that Data and Lore are excellent names for androids. Could they not come up with something equally as good, rather than a number?