5.03: Ascension

Hey Anni, come back! No need get off your soap box. These forums are for people to experss their opinions and then to hear those of others. We happen to disagree this time. Right from the beginning in Children of the Gods when Jack invited Daniel back to his place for a beer we established characters who were softer than those in the movie and not realistically military. This continued in The Enemy Within with the Jack/Kowalski scenes, then in The First Commandment when Sam said no to Jack's direct order to return to the SGC, and so on. If you keep the characters on the same level of famiarity they had in the pilot episode, I think people would quickly become tired of the lack of depth. Enemies was a great episode (IMO, the best so far of season 5) because the action was so excellent, but I like episodes like Forever in a Day, Tangent and Entity for character interaction/angst. I can appreciate them all. Please, let us know what you think and don't get too disgusted with this group of obsessed fans.

yeah anni, please don't go. you are just as entitled to your opinion as anyone. and i have to agree with you in a way. jack & george don't necessarily owe sam an apology, on a professional level. on a personal level theymight feel like they do.
but it's going to be somethign the fic writers come up wtih. the show left it right where it needed to be left. and i think for a good reason. it's much too soon to tell but i have a funny feeling ascension is going to come back to haunt them sooner or later.

Anni, don't go!!!
Just because I don't necessisarily agree with your opinion dosn't mean I am criticising or personally attacking you. Everyone has a right to their view. I appreciate your opinions on this discussion and I think that it's great that you express them with such a passion. But just because everyone dosn't feel the same, dosn't mean you should leave or stop the discussion, it's always good to have different views, everyone can always learn something from them. An it's fun to debate them. :)

Originally posted by SamInChicago
If you keep the characters on the same level of famiarity they had in the pilot episode, I think people would quickly become tired of the lack of depth. Enemies was a great episode (IMO, the best so far of season 5) because the action was so excellent, but I like episodes like Forever in a Day, Tangent and Entity for character interaction/angst. I can appreciate them all.
SamInChicago, I agree with that 100%, well said.

Yeah, I agree that there was no need for Jack or Hammond to say a big old sorry sorry for doubting you speach to Sam.
Part the reason I like Stargate is that akthough it is fiction, it still has realistic boundaries.

One of my other reasons is for the character development. Stargate has a group of well written characters who are marvellously acted by amazing actors.
I enjoy to see how the characters bounce off and interact with each other, pushing their characters too their full potential.

That's me spent!
Nicola :D

that is one of THE funniest missing scenes i've ever read.

anyone who wants a giggle head on over. it is well, well worth the read

Oh my god, my stomach hurts from laughing so much! That wa hilarious.

Hey sky, what a good why to get rid of that god awful beanie of Jack's! :D

i am developing a serious problem with that hat...if he's gonna wear a beanine at least let it be a rainbow colored one with a propeller on top...teal'c can stand by him and blow on it...:rolly2:

this ep was alright. some good lines (star wars and jello) and we finally got to see a little about sams life but i think that it could have gonbe a lot deeper. yes the writers only have 43 mins to do a story I still think that sams life etc and even the military side (jack and hammy) could have been investigated a lot deeper.
But the mini gate was cool and we did get to learn a bit about oma's and orlin's kind. i think this would be in sixth place of all the season five eps.

Its good fun reading everyone's opinion and everyone is entitled to one.

I just finished watching this ep again on Showtime...and I'm still astounded by the getup Teal'c chose for his foray to Sam's house........I know, it's already been mentioned here, but what's up with that, anyway????? How extremely weird!!! Do you think Jack picked the outfit for him as a joke?? I wouldn't put it past him! I can just imagine how he stood out at the jello matches! WOW!

5. 3: Ascension.

This was a very funny episode, full of little gems:

(Jack's big honkin' weapon)
Teal'c: It is a weapon of great power.
Jack: Big and honkin'.

(Jack outside the toilet with Sam)
Jack: I'm gonna pee.
Sam: Yes, Sir.

(What do we do next?)
Teal'c: I have read of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello.
Jack: Call Daniel!

(Orlan on making an Emerald): That reminds me you're going to need a new microwave.

(Orlan on making a Stargate): Oh! And you're going to need a new toaster.

They should be very careful. I recognised the man from the Pentagon. He's a very dangerous person :D

We finally got to see Sam's house -- that must have upset some people -- there were no motorcycles or leathers, no electronic repair kits, no DIY hardware... but also there was no knitting, no flower arranging... she really does need some hobbies!

And Teal'c has seen Star Wars nine times -- well we already know that he doesn't get out much.

That guy from the pentagon.. wouldn't it be easier for him to snap his fingers to get the weapon? strange.... seriously though, is there a sci-fi show he has not been on i wonder, or one where he played a good guy either!

I actually really liked this episode. It finally gave Sam a bit of a life, or exposed perhaps her lack of one but also showed her non work side we she puts on a lot. A really good episode and one that has been needed me thinks. I think perhaps the romance should have got one stage further before it ended but then i guess the ending would not have been quite so powerful, ie he did that despite her pretty much rejecting him.. although she followed him through the stargate.. ok it is complicated.

but yeah, at least 8/10 maybe 9.

not a bad episode....

Q :eek: He turns up from no-where with the power to go over Hammond's head (clicked his fingers - hehe)

(What do we do next?)
Teal'c: I have read of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello.
Jack: Call Daniel!
I liked this one so much I put it in my sig :D :D

Nice to see Sams home life, I expected her place to be more of a tecchies paradise though... (like mine ;))

I wonder if re-establishing contact with the swirly light aliens will have any ramifications with the harcesis child situation??

And that fella ordered how much stuff on Sams credit card? How would he be able to get authorisation for so much stuff to a civilian address, I doubt Sam has clearance for that... or that she can afford to pay the bill, plus get a new toaster and microwave ;)

Yep I really liked this one...great to see some of Sam's life and her house :D

Some of the quotes had me in stiches (big honkin' weapon;) )

Liked the story but like Padders thought they could have taken the 'romance' a little further plus Orlan was quite cute:kisses:

Mark- like you description of Orlan (swirly light aliens :D) and yeah I had not thught it might have something to do with the harcesis child.

I will give this one 9/10 :cool:

What a great eppy. I am so glad I taped it - I'm gonna be watching that scene on Sam's front porch with Teal'c in the hat, red bandana and oooh those gorgeous tight black jeans.

It was good to see Sam (and the others) outside the SCG in civvies (sorry, I'm going back to those jeans again !!!)

Fantastic one liners - the big honkin weapon, the ring of jello, and Danny's wonderful sarcasm to 'Q' in reply to his question 'need I remind you of the dangers...etc etc : Danny: yes, and please and could you go slow !!

Loved it all

what a great eppy....

'yeah i've solved all that meaning of life stuff...'

:D SOOOOOOOOOOOO groovy! yeah, decided i do love season five!!!!:D:D:D

we've had sam, we've had teal'c.... will we get daniel and jack episodes PLLLLLEEEEEASE!:D

'have pizza!'

OMG when you see Jack trying to peek hehehe.....

This was a wonderful episode....and its about time Sam had some romance in her life:kisses: :kisses: Orlan was gorgeous (not as sexy as Jack) I liked the part where Jack is trying to peek in her house to see who is there (was he jealous?) and what on earth was Teal'c wearing! call the fashion police! :D :D That Q bloke is annoying in whatever show he's been in. (he's probably nice in person) At the end I had tears in my eyes...:crying: (I'm a romantic at heart):cool: