The Malazan Books of the Fallen - Doorstop Fantasy at its finest?

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy

Knivesout no more
There's a lot of huge epic fantasy series flying about right now. Fantasy writers seem to have ditched the old trilogy concept for series that stretch out over 7 volumes and more. However, several readers, including myself, have tended to become skeptical about the real merit of many of these series. Part of the art of being a storyteller is knowing when to end a story, after all.

However, one series that has really impressed me is Steven Erikson's 'Malazan Books of the Fallen'. A vast, complex story, already in its 4th volume and with 6 more planned, it has a power and depth to it that I would venture to say is far beyond much of the fantasy genre (excluding authors who I am yet to read like Martin, Kay and Baker).

I've only read two volumes so far - Gardens of the Moon and Memories of Ice, but both have impressed me immensely, and definitely left me wanting more.

How many of you have read any of these books? What do you think?

Last edited:
Well, oddly, he's just beginning to be recognised (and available) in the US, so that is understandable. Although his works are quite popular in Canada, UK, other parts of Europe and evidently in Asia too, his publishers seem to have held off on releasing his work in the US, apparently fearing it might be 'too complex' for the market?!

Anywhow, his books are now available in the US, so do let me know what you think if you get hold of a copy - although it might be a bit darker than you prefer (a bit like Donaldson in that way, but different, too).

I couldn't find them on amazon.com so I'm sure that my library doesn't have them. However, my library has just given me a way to email them suggested books (are they in for it!!) so I'll send it on to them and see what they can dig up on it.

BTW - there are no smiley options here in this thread (or at least for this post of mine) and I'm not sure why. I'll inform the big cheese.

Fixed. (I left some settings awry here). :)

and glad to see the markets waking up to complex fantasy structuring - or should I say, fiction in general. I really wonder if the great success of WoT hasn't had something to do with it. Jordan has proved that so long as there's a sense of closure then the readers will buy into the concept. Of course, Jordan's promise of closure has been wearing a little thin of late...

But thanks for the tip! Hm...Malazan, books of the Fallen - that rings real bells, but I don't know why. :confused:

Iv'e read Gardnes of the Moon and Deadhouse Gate, I'm about 100 pages in Memories of Ice and I have to say I am extremely surprised and delighted with this series. It is amazingly complex and leaves you guessing where normally you would have assumed the ending already. It's got everything from the magic that Martin doesn't have to the politics that Martin exceeds in. I think it is one of the top series I've read and reccommend it to everyone.

I'd like to add that another strong aspect of Erikson's work is his depiction of military campaings, battles and wars. He factors in elements such as supply trains and his battle scenes are truly masterful. I'm not a great fan of battle scenes, but Erikson's battle scenes are truly convincing and gripping.

The magic in his books is quite brilliant too - it's a complex system of drawing on the 'warrens' of various gods. The pantheon itself is another amazing conception - even gods may die, and even mortals may ascend to godhood.

I suspect this may be a work after your tastes, Brian - the levels of imagination and realism are quite amazing, the plot is complex and intriguing in the best way and the characters very well etched. There's a dark tone to the work, but its one that is very human, reflecting feelings of loss, despair, transformation and individual choice.

I join Tonic in recommending this series to anyone who's looking out for a solid fantasy read.

Knivesout you started to read Deadhouse Gates yet? It has to do with completely different characters but it is just as great as the other stories.

So far Memories of Ice is amazing :)

Oddly I haven't been able to find Deadhouse Gates here. I'm told I have to read Deadhouse Gates before moving on to the 4th volume, House of Chains so I shall probably have to order it from elsewhere. House of CHains is available here though. Weird. :confused:

First post on the forums. Hello all. :)

Erikson is my favourite current author and I've loved every bit of the Malazan tales so far. Can't wait to get book no.5 "Midnight Tides" and it seems like his world is ever evolving. New races, new continents and you just know he's setting the stage for one hell of a final showdown by the time we get round to book ten.

Complex plot lines, memorable charectars and some wonderful dialogue right through the first 4 books.

Shameless fanboyism so please excuse.

The thing I worry about is that after reading various discussions with Erikson, I don't think he intends to carry all that many characters through to the end of the series (he certainly can't fit them all in as significant players in his finale) and I'm worried he's going to abandon some of my favorite characters, as many tend to be the types who don't really have the power to face up to the crippled god (assuming that he ends up being the main baddy). Relatively little fellas like reborn Toc the Younger, Tool, Onrack and Trull Sengar can hardly compete with Rake, who in turn probably can't compete with Icarium, who struggles with Karsa Orlong. Not to mention the heaps of unknown entities we've recently been introduced to. The guy who broke Karsa's ribs, Prince K'azz's apparently insanely powerful mercenaries, Caladan Brood and of course what appears to be Dassem Ultor are all likely to be more suitable to the task than most of the characters we've grown to love (personally I think Gruntle is my favorite, just for persisting under such a godawful name). Yes Erikson has ten books in which to sort everything out, perhaps give everyone some kind of definite resolution, but in his fifth book he's just moved to a completely new set of empires with fresh characters, giving himself even more to work into the overarching plot.

Still, he's a clever and talented guy, I love his work so far, and have faith that he'll sort something out, somehow:)

(I just thought, what the hell is going to happen when he brings out the Seguleh First? I think he just needs to put everyone in a pit and the last one alive can be the hero).

Definitley going to purchase this series (so far) for my holiday reading. I had bought A Song of Ice and Fire for that purpose but could not wait. I've never read any Erikson, although I am aware of his status in the fantasy world. You know who the best (most popular) fantasy writers are because Waterstones gives them more shelf space. Raymond E. Feist was another author I ignored for a long time, until I read Talon of the Silver Hawk and King of Foxes, which were both very good. I haven't read any of Feist's earlier work though.

Why does America get the special treatment? And when I say 'special', I mean 'special school'. Who in America decides that 'our audience is too dumb to understand that'. It is embarrassing that such sensorship exists in the FREE world. The Americans can always import books, though they should not have to. I assumed that all big selling books in Europe would naturally be sold in America too.

Last edited:
tonic said:
Knivesout you started to read Deadhouse Gates yet? It has to do with completely different characters but it is just as great as the other stories.
Started on it a couple of weeks back. It is so dark and mysterious - simply brilliant. Some of the scenes have already seared themselves into my mind's eye and I'm only about 300 pages in. :)

BTW, I may have been a bit wrong in my asessment of the lag in US publishing dates - an alternate explanation I've heard is that US publishers simply waited until the series was a proven commodity, which is of course a canny strategy. Gardens of the Moon is out in the US now.

Well I have read every book except Midnight Tides because I'm too cheap to buy it but I think that this series is one of the best I have ever read. My top three favourite fantasy series are Malazan Empire, A Song of Ice and Fire and Harry Potter. The Harry Potter may seem an odd choice to put there but I just love how it gives me a break from all the political intrigue and brings me back to a book that I can simply enjoy without thinking too much. I extremely reccomend Steven Erikson his world, his concepts and his writing are just unblelievable.

Interesting. Except for a few, I haven't noticed anything that complex in America. I'll be looking for Erikson's work, then. I love complex plots and magical systems and really would like to see more of it.

I've some plans for related trilogies, myself, but I'm not sure I want to write a single story that's ten books long (not at all opposed to reading them)! A lot of the work I've seen is done that way, with related trilogies, such as Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series. Her plots may not be quite as complex, but I think her character work and use of effect is brilliant.

Is anyone prepared to make a comparison of Martin and Erikson? Personally I think Erikson's writing is generally superior, yet the often-cited flaw in Martin's writing-that of his divergence into plots that hold no interest, is yet more profound with Erikson- I forget the name of Tattersail's daughter (Silverfox?-A guess), but the sub-plot involving her was goddamn *tiresome*. Martin has similar flaws ( c.f. Sansa), but I don't think his prose (being in my opinion inferior to that of Erikson) suffers so much from the messy characterisation of Sansa (a thusfar negligible character) et al, simply because the contrast between general excellence and intermidiate ineptitude is less noticable in Martin's writing.

I have not yet read Martin's Song of Ice and Fire books, so I cannot really judge. I have read a few of Martin's SF short stories, though, and I must say that as far as actual writerly skill goes, Martin is easily Erikson's equal, and has a similarly dense, vivid style.

Well, I have finished Deadhouse Gates, and it probably stands as my favourite so far. The whole Chain of Dogs was the most gripping military action I have read of in a while and its ending just shattered me. The parallel plots involving Felisin, Kalam, and Icarium were all incredibly well concieved and well told as well. A solid installment in the series.

I've now started on House of Chains. I found the section on Karsa Orlong absolutely brilliant as a story, although I do wonder if it achieves much more than establishing the Toblakai's backstory. Actually, it probably does, and I'll only know another book down the line!

As usual, Erikson continues to write some of the finest prologues in the genre - short, breathtaking and satisfyingly mystifying. :)

Ok, you guys managed to convince me that this series is a must read. Now I've got to figure out how and when to get my hands on these books... Hmmm, they might make a nice couple of presents to my boyfriend. Luckily, he's got the same taste in books as me...;)

You've convinced me also.:D Luckily the first book has just come out in my book club. It'll probably be a month or so before I can get to it though.