Jim Butcher's Dresden Files on TV

dwndrgn

Fierce Vowelless One
The SciFi Channel has plans to create a series based on Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files series. The first of these books, Storm Front, was reviewed by me here: Storm Front.

I think that this would make for an interesting show. Something I'd probably watch at the very least. Anything is better than their dreadful 'Mad House' show.

If a series is started I hope it comes to Free View channels too :)

When you say 'free view' do you mean not on cable at all or not on a premium channel? SciFi isn't a premium so if you have basic cable you can get it as long as the cable company provides it. Otherwise, I don't know that Scifi has ever sold any of their stuff to the networks for syndication, but it is possible. Of course probably not for a few years after the original release. Of course, one of your obliging friends here may be willing to record it for you if possible too. You never know.

The free view channels are digital but not Sky. I gave up Sky recently because it was just rubbish and even the SciFi channel had gone down hill.

Quite often though some of the stuff that are on Sky ends up on the other channels that you dont have to pay extra for :D

This thread seems to be the only one open that even mentions the Dresden Files series.

I am surprised because I feel this is very good series.

Storm Front
Fool Moon
Grave Peril
Summer Knight
Death Masks

THere is another book out later this year too :)

Whoelse has read these books or any of them?

littlemissattitude said:
Having just finished reading "Storm Front", I'd say that this is a really good idea. I can see all kinds of potential for Harry on film.
I am looking forward to the this book being discussed in the book club this month, however so far the discussion thread hasnt started :confused:

rune said:
I am looking forward to the this book being discussed in the book club this month, however so far the discussion thread hasnt started :confused:
I'm ready to discuss, too. I've been waiting for the go-ahead from dwndrgn. She usually starts things off over there.

I rarely watch tv so I never know when good or interesting shows will come on but I'd love to see Storm Front on the screen. Thanks for the heads up dwndrgn.

I've just finished reading the recent book in this series Blood Rites. Not as dramatic (I thought) that the other books in the series, but plenty of dry humour :)

I've only gotten through the first two so far, not for lack of trying but because I can't find them anywhere other than the regular bookstores. Of course, anticipation is a good thing too!

So you think the latest is less dramatic than the others? Do you think that the series is getting tired, or that the author is running out of situations to put poor Harry through? Or is it just that the storyline he chose to write about was not as action-packed as it has been? Blood Rites is the sixth, isn't it?

dwndrgn said:
I've only gotten through the first two so far, not for lack of trying but because I can't find them anywhere other than the regular bookstores. Of course, anticipation is a good thing too!

So you think the latest is less dramatic than the others? Do you think that the series is getting tired, or that the author is running out of situations to put poor Harry through? Or is it just that the storyline he chose to write about was not as action-packed as it has been? Blood Rites is the sixth, isn't it?
Blood Rites is the 6th book, and I can honestly say up until this book the action was sharp and the storylines thrilling :) As well as funny etc..

It could just be my own personal view and I bet there will be plenty who read the 6th book and love it.
I just felt it was the subject matter that didn't quite hit the mark for me. Perhaps Butcher tried to combine person matters (Harry's that is) with bad situations too closely in this book and it didn't quite feel so sharp or as exciting.
Saying that though I still enjoyed a lot of book 6, the humour is still very funny. I really enjoyed the scenes against the Black Court Vamps and the laal dog is so cute :)

As for the series getting tired! Well I think there is plenty of trouble that Harry Dresden can still get into :) , but I think it depends on how the storylines are approached. Perhaps Butcher will conjure up a completely different enemy for Harry to deal with, something or someone that really tests his strengths :D

For those Dresden File fans :D Jim Butchers website mentioned the next book for this series - Dead Beat to be released in the UK May 2005 :D :D :D

I just finished book four, Summer Knight. What I'm really liking about this series is the fact that all the extraneous characters seem to have unique personalities. And while the plotlines are quite fantastic, they just seem as if they could have happened...just good storytelling I'd guess. I've got book five as well and should be able to start it quite soon. But first I've got to finish some other stuff, including Briar King.

Well next month I'm hoping to get the two new books from Jim Butcher's new series - Codex Alera

Furies of Calderon
Adadem's Fury

Anyone read these books yet?

Theyre a nice little series, got a lot of dry humour and I like Butcher's writing style. I've only read the first four books mind (keep forgetting to amazon the 5th). When i finish my new books I'll have a look out for the new ones :D

dwndrgn said:
rune - I haven't read any of his new series yet. Have you started it? If so, keep us informed!

I've not bought the first book yet. But I am considering getting it soon and just wondered if anyone else had tried it. I'm considering getting it on the strengh of the Dresden File series as it's probably one of my favourites at the moment :D

There is a thread for Furies of Calderon

And a couple for the Dresden novels: One Here and One Here.

My stint as yahoo!maps done for the moment --

the TV series is slated to begin in January 2007 on the SciFi channel!

As far as the international viewers - I have no idea what the plans on that are. And I don't think Robert Wolfe does either (he posts on Jim's board from time to time).

I'm looking forward to the TV series and can't wait to see what they do with the characters! I want to know if they'll keep with Jim's pattern of 'no minor characters'. ;)

ETA: I dont know if they've put up a better quality version of the 'trailer' / 'advert' for the show, but it's on the right-hand side HERE.

no minor characters? (confused) There are minor characters in the books.

Back