Star Trek does it why not Stargate SG-1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiz

Paramount does a Star Trek series for several years, then it ends and a new one starts up. Why does MGM have to end the Stargate series? Kept the best show ever written going. Form a new team and let them have a turn at the Goa'uld. What does everyone think ?

Productions

Back when 'Star Trek' first came out, the studio was 'Desilu-Paramount' and they were used to doing both TV and movie productions... actually had quite a few things on TV. Paramount has kept that TV/Movie attitude and seem to have no problems with ongoing series.

MGM is not nor has even been a bit TV producer and, IMHO, they aren't sure just what they have on their hands in the way of working a TV concept as a very long term project.

It's like apples and oranges. tTey're both fruit, but the are seen by the world differently.:blush:

ya, an' besides, the characters r one of da reasons ppl like stargate, so the show will probs be less popular if u bring in new characters that no 1 knows. minds u, if da current actors don't wanna do stargate n e more, then maybe continuing gate like they do wiv trek may be a gud idea!:D

ST vrs SG-1

Got a point there, Serena. SG-1 is very 4 person team oriented. I'm not saying ST in it's various forms was not, but they had the entire 'United Federation of Planet's and all of Star Fleet to play with, not just one stargate.

IMHO, I think the transition would be very hard to make.:(

ya, it would, but i s'pose it'd be ok if they did a spin-off, an' kept sg-1 goin' at the same time........that way, we'd still have da sg-1 we know an' luv, as well as another part of da whole stargate programme......i fink that might work, but not replacing sg-1.......

I love SG1 in its current form, and would like it to continue forever. However at some point in time, this year next year who knows, the current cast will want to stop. I know it would be a hard transition. But I would like them to try another "team" before ending the series totally.

Why exactly are they pulling the plug on the series?

I think most fans agree they like the series better than the film (tell me if I'm wrong, but that's the impression I get) Whether a different series with different actors would work, I'm not sure, I think part of the appeal is the current cast.

Also, the cast don't want it to end, or do they?

But, I've heard that Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin HATE the TV series and I've read things where they have criticised it. There are plans for a new film, probably starting from the old film and not SG-1. Is this not what it is really all about?

Stuff.

They current 'discussion' [non-comfirmed] is that RDA is considering calling it quits at the end of S6. We'll see once the set comes back from summer hiatus.

The movie already budgeted by MGM. Brad Write is one of the co-writers and it's set in the current SG-1 universe, not the movie version. Some SG-1 actors have alrady been approached. It was to have been filmed after season 5 if we didn't get 6. With 6, it's tentitavely slated to film right after the last episode goes in the can.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. So the end of the series is nothing to do with 'outside interference', or with the film (because the X-Files managed to stick a film in between two seasons)?

Re: ST vrs SG-1

Originally posted by Rowan
Got a point there, Serena. SG-1 is very 4 person team oriented. I'm not saying ST in it's various forms was not, but they had the entire 'United Federation of Planet's and all of Star Fleet to play with, not just one stargate.

IMHO, I think the transition would be very hard to make.:(

And you think replacing James T Kirk and the gang :star: wasn't tough to replace/not team oriented? Are you nuts?

And they've chosen three captains since then, and built/killed off team members.

I agree with this theory - I think it could be done, and done well. I do think it would be best to wait until season 24 of SG-1 is competed, and the RDA crew has gone on to movies. :flash:

replacing teams

A point I'd like to make about the ST spin off's vrs. an SG-1 spin off.

Yes, they did replace the entire team.... quite a few years after the original show was over. They moved it years in the future on a totally new ship.. And there were Trek fans that it took a while to make that adjustment. Try to so that with the SG-1 premise and it's a totally different script concept.

So... yes, it might work, if you either waited until several years had passed after SG-1 wraps up and tehn got back to the original premise, wipe out just about all of the known staff at the SGC and replace them all. I can't see the SGC remianing a secret program for more than a couple years from this date in time - now - maybe 5 max. So... to run a new show, if you can get some of the 'support staff' to stay, like Sgt. Siler, for example, you'll have to have had some disaster that either totally wiped out SG-1 and they were replaced or figure out how just about everyone we currently know on the show was wiped out or transfered and start over.

The ST 'universe' is huge spanning 100's of years. The SG-1 universe is small, spanning 5-6 years at this time and probably 10-15 years total.

Sorry, I just can't see the transition. It'd be like recasting 'The Sentinel'. In SG-1 and TS, it's not the plot, it's the characters who drive it.

JMO...
:star:

I see more options than that.

We will eventually colonize a number of worlds. Good premise for good/numerous players and aliens, some of which do not have to be scifi oriented, and could gain more viewers that way.

And another of our many teams could be brought on board slowly, becoming the Alpha team over time . . . say with the understanding that SG-1 was about to take over a mission/undertaking that would take over all of their time, leaving little for exploration (more weapons should be needed).

Perhaps Daniel/Sam could remain with the new team - the scientist(s) to stay with the explorers. A new member could be added to SG-1 who either more military oriented, or another scientist.

And a series should always be looking for avenues to expand, gain new viewers, grow larger (if that is the execs goal). This is a good way. This series is unusual (in our view) in that the primary (Showtime) was about to put the stake in a series during high popularity, as opposed to when the viewers were getting bored.

I still think that the rumors were going around that the actors wanted out, and Showtime decided to obtain a firm statement/ something from the actors/producers that there was strong interest in going forward with supportive executive producers committed to writing and producing solid episodes. And they got it.

And I was wrong - Trek has four new captains, not just three: Scott Bakula (I know, hard to envision :rolleyes:) is the new captain of "Enterprise" (the early years, basically).

I've managed to write an epistle here. Sorry. :D

Just one little point.

A reason why I like Stargate SG-1 is that it is set here and now, in the present day (They have some alien technology, but it's still very 'alien' to them and restricted to the base.) All the other weapons, equipment, terminology, all the viewpoints of the human characters, everything is what we have currently today (No Technobabble -- well not much!). If a new series were set in the future, this wouldn't be the same, and I don't know if I would like it as much.

Have more faith than that! Good fans give incentive to good writers for the next round. :)

That is the way I feel. Once RDA and the others leave the show, I feel strongly that Stargate could continue. Sure, everone would miss their regular characters, but given a chance the series could continue. The show does not need to jump into the future. Stargate can keep on going from where it is now. Given a chance we would like a new team because the show is excellent and there are thousands of stories that have not been told. I want SG1 to stay in its current form, but we only have 1 or 2 seasons left with RDA. Please don't let the show go away, dring on another team.
:)

Please remember that this thread is from 2001 and talking specifically about threat of cancellation during S5. We did get a continuation with new cast members. We actually got two new spin-off series and TV movies!! And RDA left the regular cast but did still reappear. There is still talk of a continuation of the original film. So, the OP question was fully answered by events. Time to close the thread rather than cause confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.