Star Trek Games.

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
Anyone got any good Star Trek games they could recommend?

I'll tell you what I have first:

I have the CD-ROM games for the PC:
Star Trek: Hidden Evil -- this is an excellent action/adventure game based on 'Insurrection'. You engage alien forces using a phaser or the Vulcan nerve pinch, and solve puzzles using your tricorder and communicator to gather facts.
Star Trek: Armada -- this is a fleet tactics game in which you play four different races in turn. I don't like it as much, but it is completely different.
I was bought some customisable cards, but I've never used them.
I also have the Video Interactive Game called Star Trek: The Next Generation:

Even my non-treker friends enjoy playing this one. It's played with a board and a video, against a time limit (it's very like 'Atmosfear' if you've played that.)
I also noticed a number of on-line Role-Playing-Games. I would like to join one, but the ones I looked at said "Sorry but due to overwhelming demand we cannot take new members at present.

Does anyone play these? Any good? Could we start one here somehow?

What do you have?

What is Star Trek: Elite Force like?

The only one I have is Star Trek: Starfleet Academy. "It has over 25 missions to test your ingenuity, leadership and courage and determine if you've got what it takes to graduate first in your class." It had a good introductory speech by Kirk and the 'getting to meet the rest of your crew' part was fun....but after that i got bored quite quickly and haven't played it in ages.

About 2 yrs ago, i took part in one of the RPGs. It was kinda cool, but our ship didn't seem to be doing too well. No one but the Captain really seemed to be taking part (expect me of course LOL) Anyway we were decommisioned! YUCK! don't want to do that again!

:star:

Originally posted by Maria8475
About 2 yrs ago, i took part in one of the RPGs. It was kinda cool, but our ship didn't seem to be doing too well. No one but the Captain really seemed to be taking part (expect me of course LOL) Anyway we were decommisioned! YUCK! don't want to do that again!

That would be a terrible thing to happen!:evil:

yes it was!! but i'm not trying to put you off, if you want to try one of them for yourself, go ahead.

Originally posted by Dave
What is Star Trek: Elite Force like?
Well Elite Force is a great game but the single player caimpaign is way too short. And it is much better in multiplayer anyway. The best parts are the graphics and sound, although none of the characters look right ;) .

And the only other star trek game I still play is Star Trek: Birth of the Federation. Its an old game but a good one. You take control of either the Federation, Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians or Ferengi and create an empire by colonising, fighting or diplomacy. It has a lot of minor races to interact with (like destroy, subjugate or ally with). Although it has a lot of bugs it is still fun.

And for an online role-playing I suggest you go to
star-fleet if you haven't been there before.

Maria

Sorry to hear you were decomissioned! :( Sounds like something that would happen to me! lol :D

little star :star:

lol little star! but it was a long time ago, let's not get all upset over it now :D

I'm really taking to www.star-fleet.com you might see less of me here :eek: :eek: :eek:

The idea is simple though, and something that we could start here easily. We just all take a character and post away. We would need a GamesMaster though. And I would want to play, so it can't be me! :evil:

A GM is like a Dungeon Master (DM). In a role-playing game you need someone to be the campaign referee. They create the scenarios and construct the plot. They control the play as they are the only ones who know what is going to happen. A Moderator in other words, the ultimate authority.

This 'starfleet' site has GMs listed, so I guess that's what they're doing, only nothing much has really happened yet on the ship I'm on. There are a few things going on, but they seem totally unrelated. That's the only problem with it, it's very slow. If you were notified of any new posts it might help.

I used to play 'Dungeons and Dragons' and 'Traveller', but this on-line role-playing is new to me.

Thanks for telling me about 'Star Fleet' Shaun. I'm really enjoying it. I've been on an Academy Ship for two weeks now. I'm a half Klingon science officer called M'Bok.

My only criticism is that it is so slow. An alien artifact has been brought onto the ship which is causing crew to hallucinate, whilst systems are down and we were drifting in Ferengi space, and a Ferengi Diamon wants to claim us as salvage. But, we seem to have been in exactly the same postion all the time. You need to wait for someone to reply to your post to continue, so it can never be realtime.

If anyone else is interested follow Shaun's link, it only took a few days. What ship are you on, Shaun?

Well I'm not on a ship anymore, I had to quit due to not having much free time with exams and working after school :( . Also with it being so slow, once you graduate from the academy ship you can get assigned to a faster posting ship to suit your speed.

Hello all

heres my 2 pence on the subject ;)

Star Trek: Klingon Academy is a great game - and their are lot of add-ons for it, TNG, DS9, VOY, an even non-trek stuff.

The single player campaign is based before Star Trek VI and leads nicely into the film....

Klingonacademy.com

the above is the site you'll find anything you want to know on Klingon Academy.

concerning performance - I wouldn't think you would need an overly large system to run it - I am currently running the game maxed out on:

P3 650 Mhz
320 mb RAM
ATi Rage Pro Xpert 128 32mb

and it runs perfectly

BTW - The graphics are fantastic! and you can find quite cheap now. The single player is not lacking, I am yet to try the campaign, but to give you some idea, the game is 6 CDs in total :eek:

Another game I have heard is quite good it Star Trek Armada 1 & 2.

I don't own either of this game yet (waiting till Xmas, FS2002 as left me penny-less :rolleyes: )

Armada 2 Armada 1

There are also a few other games out there which seem quite good, Starfleet Academy, Starfleet Command 1 & 2 and Orion Pirates.

You can get a good idea of all the Star Trek games here:
Star Trek Gaming

And last but not least, a game I am really looking forward to:

Star Trek: Bridge Commander

BC places you in an accurate 3D environment of a Galaxy Class or Sovereign Class Star Ship, as the Captain, on the bridge.

Bridge Commander.com

I hope some of that was of some use to you :)

BTW - A quick note on Elite Force - I have foun it to be a multiplayer game, offline it is OK, but not really thrilling - inline it is far better, and you can always find it being played on game spy arcade

Thanks, with Christmas approaching people may need ideas.

I have Armada (it must be Armada I) and it is good, but it is ship and fleet tactics, and building supplies like 'Age of Empires', whereas I prefer the 'Hidden Evil' type of game.

I've never played Hidden Evil - I take it that its like a first person shooter?

The only Trek games I have played as an FPS game is ST: Generations (lol) was it just me or was that one hard game? :eek: ;)
and Elite Force. - IMO EF is one of the best Trek games out there, and I have heard rumours that an Elite Force 2 is on the boards (however not by Raven, another Company - not sure who)

If you like Flight Sims or anything like that, then Klingon Academy is right up your street (I control it with my Joystick)

Anyone here played Dominion Wars? If your thinking of buying it, my advice is wait until the price lowers, I payed £30 for my copy and it is bug ridden, a half hearted attempt at a patch from Gizmo games, and we have been waiting for custom missions for at least 5 month :eek:

Anyone who wants ideas on game I would recommend going to the games' sites and posted on their message boards, that way you can get opinions from players (not just the bumf the company put on the back off box ;) )

Originally posted by Wingless Flyer
I've never played Hidden Evil - I take it that its like a first person shooter?

That's right! You have a phaser and Vulcan neck pinch as weapons, a tricorder to gather facts, and you can communicate with Picard and Data about your progress. It's set straight after 'Insurrection'.

Elite force is newer, so is probably better though.

i have birth of the federation and i enjoy it although i would like to play online. a good site is the msn zone but it is often either near full or near empty but other games including (star wars alert) X-wing Vs Tie Fighter is brilliant to play on.
which reminds me i need to report to my wing leader later you guy's

Back