Who here wants to be an Amazon?

Hey Death Maiden,
I just joined your group and I look forward to getting to know all the Amazons of your Tribe :)

Thanks,

msvestal

speaking of Amazons....I'm an archaeology buff and I think read somewhere that the Amazons were real.
some scholars still think that they just symbolizes the eastern foreingers that the ancient Greeks fought
but,the cutting off breast was a false myth.
Personally, I think they were real....may just have emerged with some other male tribe and became a city state or something like that.

Keph.

Actual amazons, from what I know, were from the North of the Black Sea which were pastoral. They moved SW into Bulgaria and N. Greece. They're in my Penguin History of Ancient Greece, I believe. And I had heard they did cut off their breasts so they could use a bow and arrow without clevage getting in the way. ;)

ouch!

well, the geographical posistion and the migration are true. , but really doubt on that breast cutting act!....believe me cuz I took archery and it'sNOT a problem at all. maybe someone thought since many of them were hunters and perceive them as more masculine...down the oral tradition stories, anything can go terribly wrong....or wonderful!
ciao,
Keph.

Classic comic commentary from Joe Bob Briggs, who hosted the TNT debut of "Hercules and the Amazon Women" -

The Amazons DO go back to the Greeks. Homer
mentions em. Their original home was in the forests of the
Thermodon valley in Pontus in Asia Minor. Then
when the ancient Greeks started exploring the Thermodon
region and didn't find any Amazons there, they figured Hercules
had driven em away. So in legends that come
after that, the Amazons get further and further away, they're
always JUST out of reach. Talk about a gullible audience.
"There's no Amazons in Thermadon? Oh, they
moved to Ephesus. They're not there either? Oh, you know
what? They found a little village outside Naucratis--I can't
believe I forgot about that. Nevada! They're in
Nevada! Above the Arctic Circle! Antarctica--with the penguins.
That's where they live now."