B-Movies And Awful Films

They gave him a Lifetime Achievement Oscar

Not a surprise , he is one the most successful and respected directors of all time and mentored quite a few directors of note. gave actors like Jack Nicloson their big break in showiness and revved quite few faded acting careers, John Carradine for example . Roger Corman has also done some acting too. He had a bit part in Apollo 13 as a US Senator which , is no coincidence because Ron Howard is one the directors that he mentored. :)

Wasn't George Clooney in one of the killer tomato films?

Yes, Return of the Killer Tomatoes 1988 and it was one of his most unmemorable performances.:D

Killer tomatoes was a one joke one note movie with no room for sequels , though there was animated tv series.:)

Last edited:
Not sure either would qualify as B movies but...
I love Alex Cox's Repo Man. Just Melon Farming terrific with a real sense of style and time. Even the credits are great.
And Jonathan King's Black Sheep. Killer mutant sheep. What's not to love?

Planet of the Vampires 1965 by Mario Brava. Two spaceships from earth pick up a mysterious signal on a seemingly dead planet and decide to land investigate and of course it turns out to be a bad mistake. One the two ships end up damaged and most end up killing one another for reasons unknown. They end up doing battle with an alien life force which has the power take over and reanimate the dead bodies their fellow shipmates They also encounter a derelict alien ship full with the gigantic skeletal remains of its crew who also made the fatal mistake landing on the planet. For 60s film, it is surprisingly gritty and atmospheric , a bit like the film the 1979 film Alien of which this movie was an inspiration for. This is a terrific science fiction film and a classic .:cool:(y)

Last edited:
The best B movies are those that set out to be serious but unintentionally end up as not. Plan 9 is one, probably my personal favourite is Night of the Lepus. How can anyone try to make a serious horror film about bunny rabbits? Has to be seen to be believed.

The best B movies are those that set out to be serious but unintentionally end up as not. Plan 9 is one, probably my personal favourite is Night of the Lepus. How can anyone try to make a serious horror film about bunny rabbits? Has to be seen to be believed.

Night of the Lepus is a film that ive seen on several occasions and each time, ive pondered one important question " Why was so worthy a film as this shut out on Oscar Night ?" :unsure:

Does anyone else have a soft spot for films that you love for all the wrong reasons?

In my opinion there is nothing better than sitting down with a few friends and ridiculing a terrible movie. Let me start with the travesty that was : -

Volcano - I loved that movie! Remember when they stopped the flow of lava with a combination of parked buses and water!?!!? Or who can forget the scene where our hero is hanging off a metal ladder with his bare hands, above a river of lava, and although the ladder is warping from the heat, still he hangs on! Also I loved the way that New York coveniently had storm drains just in the right place to divert the flow of lava - classic stuff.

Anyone ever seen an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000, that show is great. For anyone that doesn't know, each episode consists of a guy, with 2 robot puppets making sarcastic comments over such classic B-Movies as "Attack Of The Killer Shrews", "Deathstalker And The Warriors From Hell", "Terror From The Year 5000", and my own personal favorite "Santa Claus Conquers The Martians". It is all good.
Does anyone else have a soft spot for films that you love for all the wrong reasons?

In my opinion there is nothing better than sitting down with a few friends and ridiculing a terrible movie. Let me start with the travesty that was : -

Volcano - I loved that movie! Remember when they stopped the flow of lava with a combination of parked buses and water!?!!? Or who can forget the scene where our hero is hanging off a metal ladder with his bare hands, above a river of lava, and although the ladder is warping from the heat, still he hangs on! Also I loved the way that New York coveniently had storm drains just in the right place to divert the flow of lava - classic stuff.

Anyone ever seen an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000, that show is great. For anyone that doesn't know, each episode consists of a guy, with 2 robot puppets making sarcastic comments over such classic B-Movies as "Attack Of The Killer Shrews", "Deathstalker And The Warriors From Hell", "Terror From The Year 5000", and my own personal favorite "Santa Claus Conquers The Martians". It is all good.
I don't know if it's a B Movie or a cult classic and it's not exactly SF or Fantasy but no conversation about insane movies is complete without mention of John Waters masterpiece Pink Flamingos. Everyone should run out and get it right away. It is unbelievable.

I don't know if it's a B Movie or a cult classic and it's not exactly SF or Fantasy but no conversation about insane movies is complete without mention of John Waters masterpiece Pink Flamingos. Everyone should run out and get it right away. It is unbelievable.

Here one on the must list of movies. A Nyphoid Barbarian in Dinosaur Hell. Yes this film really exists. :eek:

I think that it would be fair to say that what Ed Wood's filmmaking style was unique.

The thing of it is that , had he been born 30 years later, he would have found success in the movie industry.

King Dinosaur 1955 . Filmed in 3 days , This is a really bad science fiction film. Seeing it only once is one time too many.

The Terrornauts 1967. A science fiction movie about a bunch of earth scientists who get kidnapped by a robot that looks like a bad mod lamp on wheels. Somebody actually thought that this would be a good idea for movie, it wasn't . This is a bad but lovable film. :D

Giant From the Unknown 1958 In this film a giant long dead Spanish Conquistador Giant get reanimated by a bolt of lightning and wreaks havoc .

The Thing that Couldn't Die 1958 A group of people living on dude ranch find a box containing that the think is a treasure but what its in rarity the undead head of en evil man named Gideon cursed to immortality who is trying to find and reunite with body so he spread his evil throughout the world.

Both did get the Mystery Science 3000 treatment , but overall they're are fun films to watch .:)

The Horror of Party. Beach 1964 Beach partiers and inept scientists vs cheesy looking and equally inept atomic monsters . This one got Immortalized courtesy of Mystery Science 3000 .:D

Are things such as Pacific Rim considered B movies? Similar themes, just well made.

It was okay on the first viewing, but I watched it again and I didn't think so much off it.

Don't get me wrong, it's well made but it does carry a lot of similar tropes to the B movies of old. I'm just wondering if modern movies can be considered B movies.

A ‘B‘ movie was originally a low budget feature that runs for around sixty minutes (and therefore can be a support to a main feature or ‘A’ movie). Most modern movies (including low budget) run for around ninety minutes or more.

I much prefer the view that watching a B movie should feel like you’re watching it at around three in the morning, no matter what time of day it is. :)

Back