Is Boba Fett really that cool?

Am I correct in saying he didnt actually die in that pitt? I think i remember reading novels post-ROTJ that mentioned his escape and on going adventures... Been a long while since I read them though

If we take Expanded Universe into account, then yes, he survives and comes back.

As for the topic question, he has never really been one of my favourites, but I have come to accept him. He is not Darth Vader (suited) cool, but he works. There is not a lot of complexity there, but there is a sort of coolness in simplicity and few words there, much like Darth Maul.

Episodes 4 & 5 being the only real movies, (silence, heathens and doubters! the others were clearly the result of the Lucas from an alternate universe) he comes off great in his limited time. Don't even apply extended universe/prequels to his awesomeness, as those came on after his popularity, which was a result of Empire alone.

Fett didn't bow down for anybody, including Vader and Jabba. Considering the limited screen time he had in TESB, he made a sizable impact on the plot.

I think his appeal stems from the fact, that if you really think about it, he is pretty much the only person in the entire series that doesn't seem afraid of Vader. ... Fett, however, stares Vader down when the sith lord is wagging his finger in his face, has a similarly ominous and unreadable mask, and even outright calls Vader out on screwing him if Han doesn't survive the freezing... and he sounds menacing enough in doing so that you know he's got the stones to fight back (as opposed to folding like Lando did). So between that and the cool tricks on his suit, he kind of radiates being a bad ass.

In a nutshell, Vader's implied endorsement/respect; anyone who can treat Vader like an equal and get away with it despite being an apparent nobody is guaranteed to make viewers wonder who he really is, how powerful he really is... He's so cool:)

In a nutshell, Vader's implied endorsement/respect; anyone who can treat Vader like an equal and get away with it despite being an apparent nobody is guaranteed to make viewers wonder who he really is, how powerful he really is... He's so cool:)

But of course, there is bliss in ignorance. I wish I could return to wondering so Boba could reclaim his mojo;) Now he's the man with the most recognizable face in the galaxy.

I think his appeal stems from the fact, that if you really think about it, he is pretty much the only person in the entire series that doesn't seem afraid of Vader. Vader is one of the coolest, baddest, meanest villains in the galaxy and it's made quite clear that pretty much everyone around is terrified of him, including Luke (in the cave/ their duel).
That is not, strictly speaking, entirely true. Aside from the emperor, of course, Tarkin did not seem all that afraid of Vader, either, and actually seemed to have a great deal of (Imperial) authority over Vader. Neither did Admiral Motti, when he told Vader to not try to frighten them (the Imperial officers) with his sorcerers ways. Granted, he got choked by Vader as a result of his impudence, so he did come off as more fearless due to lack of sense than Boba's fearlessness because he is a is badass. Still, what he said is a pretty far cry from being afraid of Vader, in my book.

Fett, however, stares Vader down when the sith lord is wagging his finger in his face, has a similarly ominous and unreadable mask, and even outright calls Vader out on screwing him if Han doesn't survive the freezing... and he sounds menacing enough in doing so that you know he's got the stones to fight back (as opposed to folding like Lando did). So between that and the cool tricks on his suit, he kind of radiates being a bad ass.
True, that. Of course, I still highly doubt Boba would come out on top in any kind of direct confrontation with Vader. It is more likely that Vader found Boba's skills as a bounty hunter (tracking down people) too useful to piss him off. It is not wise to screw a professional that you might want to hire later. With Imperial resources at your disposal, I'd say it actually would be easy enough to compensate Boba if Han died, and a much better offer than losing future access to Fett's considerable tracking services (I go by onscreen evidence of tracking the Falcon).
But Boba certainly has guts, I will agree with that.

That said, for a minor character, his enduring popularity is kind of surprising.
In a way, he is like a non-Force using Vader. That is, the helmet hides his face. It gives him that mysterious and intimidating air.

I've never understood the worship of Boba Fett, either. He gets, what? Maybe ten minutes of screen time (give or take) in the original trilogy? Granted, the armor looks awesome, and a great look always helps when you're talking about villians, but he never actually did anything on screen that translates to me as, "This guy is awesome!"

I didn't even notice the character when I first saw the original trilogy. If I was asked back then what my opinion about Boba Fett was, I would probably have no answer. He was just one of the many goons that were working for Jabba and Darth Vader. Not to mention that he was defeated within a few seconds.

It's probably the expanded universe that made him so popular. And I must admit that he appears a lot more skilled and dangerous in the games that he appears in. He has become a legendary character, even for me. He is now one of my most favorite characters from the original trilogy.

Ironic, for I hardly noticed his existence when he first appeared.

In a way, he is like a non-Force using Vader. That is, the helmet hides his face. It gives him that mysterious and intimidating air.

Yes, it makes them both very mysterious and intimidating. Despite the fact that we now know what's beneath their helmets. I really love masked characters. Even the Joker, who is actually not wearing a mask at all, is more interesting because of the paint that is hiding is face.

Maybe it's because of his jet pack.

People love jet packs...

I think it's the allure of the title 'best bounty hunter in the galaxy'. i mean from what we see in the films he is the only one to be able to track Han and Chewy. I guess in the ST books there must be more about how he operates. But going from the films people probly assumed that he was meant to be bad ass.

Looking at his performance in the original trilogy Fett comes off as kind of rubbish. For one thing, he seems to be a bit of coward. He hid behind Vader and his troops while they did all the dirty work of actually capturing Han. In fact the only times in Empire where he’s willing to stand and fight are in the carbon freezing chamber where he’s cowering behind Vader (who yanks his gun down like he’s a an over excited kid) or when he took a shot at Luke in the corridor, missed and ran away as soon as he was discovered.

His fighting prowess is also dubious, as his battle in Jedi boils down to him getting his gun trashed before he can fire a single shot, falling over, missing Luke by 20 feet and getting killed by a blind guy, and considering his aforementioned cowardice his death scream was perfectly in character. Even tracking the Falcon wasn’t a great achievement since it’s hyperdrive was goosed.

In fact, Boba has a lot of parallels with another Star Wars character. The only relevance they have to the plot is getting the characters from one location to another, they both scrape by though dumb luck despite their cowardice, clumsiness and general incompetence and they both have a prominent role early on only to be demoted to a silent cameo in the final instalment of the series.

Yes, Boba is the Jar Jar Binks of the original trilogy.

I've always felt indifferent towards Boba Fett; never thought he was 'cool' and his armour made him - along with Dengar - look like the charity shop dressed him. So much so that when he died - even in the SE releases - I didn't blink at the ignoble death he got handed, until a fan explained to me how hurtful it was to their sensibilities.

Same goes for Aurra Sing...

However, I love the design of Slave 1 (and I B-wings!)

pH

Read the comic and different novels written about him and his adventures.

You would fall in love with the guy.

I've heard that Boba Fett was the name Spielberg danced under just after graduating from college

I believe that I read somewhere that Boba has survived the Sarlacc pit and will feature in the new movies.

I thought Boba was pretty cool, so I'm pleased about this.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately... everyone is so darn Boba Fett obsessed. Every other SW fan I ask seems to select him as their favorite character. He's not really in the movies that much and when he is, IMO, he comes off as kinda a wuss... so who can convince me otherwise? Anyone?

I'm open... give me what you've got. :evil:

When I first heard the name Boba Fett I thought, "Who?"

Yeah, I agree with you. It is just a kind of Star Wars group think to me. But who cares what Star Wars fans think?

psik

Boba Fett is definitely cool and should get his own film. There's alot they could do with this character.:)

Back