really don't understand chevrons 8&9

Tabitha

Save Angel!
so, I get that chevron 8 is supposed to allow the wormhole to stretch further, but there is something I still don'tunderstand at all...

On mgm's tech pages they say that there are 9 chevrons, but the sgc only use 7, fair enough, but erm where are these extra chevrons exactly?

I remember when i first saw the fifth race and the "chevron" guy looks confused and says "chevron eight encoded"...well where is it???? I have only ever seen the seven that are usually used, are the others hiding somewhere under the ramp or summat?

And oh yeh, another kind of related question... how cum when they use the dhd the stargate doesn't seem to do all the spinning it does on earth, and starts the gate up really fast? I have never quite understood that either....
:erm: :erm: :erm:

I think I can help you with the DHD question: The gate was designed by the Ancients to work with the DHD, and therefore no spinning. But if the DHD was broken, or lost, the stargate could be operated manually, or in the SGC's case, with a supercomputer or two connected to the gate.
Hope that helps,
Raptor

I have noticed the gate spin for an incoming wormhole - or is this only if it coming from earth? If so, this is serious tactical advantage to Goa'uld...

Originally posted by Tabitha
so, I get that chevron 8 is supposed to allow the wormhole to stretch further, but there is something I still don'tunderstand at all...

On mgm's tech pages they say that there are 9 chevrons, but the sgc only use 7, fair enough, but erm where are these extra chevrons exactly?

I remember when i first saw the fifth race and the "chevron" guy looks confused and says "chevron eight encoded"...well where is it???? I have only ever seen the seven that are usually used, are the others hiding somewhere under the ramp or summat?

And oh yeh, another kind of related question... how cum when they use the dhd the stargate doesn't seem to do all the spinning it does on earth, and starts the gate up really fast? I have never quite understood that either....
:erm: :erm: :erm:

if you look at the gate - (the offworld ones are easier to see than the Earth one) -- and count the little triangle 'chevrons' - there are 9 --- i think i counted 8 on the earth gate, but it's been a while since i've paid that much attn (bad me, i know, stop hitting me and scowling)

if i get a chance, and i'm thinking about it - i'll look again -- but, on the Earth stargate - the other 2 may be hidden beneath the ramp --

later!!
highlander II

Just checked my SG1 JPG collection and all the off-world gates I can see only have 7 chevrons - and to make matters worse, whilst the earth gate is free held in clamps, the off-world ones are all embedded in stone bases.

Just to contradict myself :eek7::

Despite there being no 8th and 9th chevrons visible on any shot of the gate, on earth or anywhere else that I could see, the dialling computer DOES have them marked...

"Virtual" chevrons which the Ancients could program in from their devices, but which would keep inhabitants of this galaxy from going to other galaxies until they were advanced enough to know the technology to do the same. A way to keep less advanced civilizations from spilling into other galaxies. Theoretically an advanced warlike civilization wouldn't really be advanced enough to gain that technology, whereas a peaceful advanced civiliztion might because of their mindset maybe? It would be analogous to UFOs visiting Earth and not letting us develop tech to travel to other stars until we "grew up."

Then again it could just be that when they initially set up the series they hadn't thought they'd have an episode that would travel to another galaxy until they wrote the script. Still, not having a visible 8th or 9th chevron works as a good control feature. If the 9th chevron represents time then the goa'uld could easily travel back and take out their rivals, etc. Make a bit mess out of things. If parallel universes another big mess. If different dimensions, who knows? Same "laws" of physics apply? Enough possibilities to run the series another 5 years without problems if they wanted to. Could also have a series based on the Ancients and the 4 Races.

For the start of the next season, how do they get home? Do they find some Ancients? Do they go to Ida? If the goa'uld couldn't get to Ida then the Asgard are just exploring this universe, but the goa'uld only present a threat to them and others here. Result is they defend some here out of benevolence?

SPOILER WARNING

Actually, the first episode of S5 involves the Replicators in some way, so I dare say SG-1, The Tok'ra and co will use the Replicators' "assimilated" technology to get home.
Raptor

Originally posted by P'Teppic
Just to contradict myself :eek7::

Despite there being no 8th and 9th chevrons visible on any shot of the gate, on earth or anywhere else that I could see, the dialling computer DOES have them marked...

okay - can clear this up w/ one episode -- Exodus --

spoiler space coming (in case you haven't seen it)

when Sam gets ready to toss the Stargate out of the cargo hold - if you look really closely at the bottom of the gate (ya gotta REALLY look) there are 2 more 'chevrons' on the bottom - for a total of 9 --- (they're not lit up which makes them hard to see, but they are there) and this was supposed to be the gate they had on Vorash - so - i suppose the other gates have these chevrons as well -- just not visible b/c of the stone platform -- still don't know why the gate sits in a stone platform and why it's still able to turn - unless it really sits in a 'crevice' in the platform --

H2

thanks peeps

well I guess that makes sense - but it seems that it would have made sense to give us a bit more explanation in the show...

:cool:

I have a feeling if you REALLY look in the dig scenes in the movie, that 9 chevrons are visible as the gate is lifted vertical....

there are 9 chevrons, yes, the other two are usually buried or underneath the ramp. it's not that they can't be used, it's just that they often aren't. not many people travel to other galaxies, even with the stargate. and i don't think a dhd is properly equipped to provide enough power to extend a wormhole to another galaxy: remember, O'Neill had to build a special machine to draw more energy to the gate in Season 2:The Fifth Race. to go to another galaxy the eighth chevron was used, the ninth has yet 2 b activated.

~Shu Hunter
:upto: stargate fan{atic}