1.05: Summer of Love

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
Summer of Love 1:5

Summer of love

This is a very funny episode, cleverly written, with the series beginning to get its stride at this point. If they could have kept making episodes like this....

They actually visit three different realities:

The first Earth is infested by giant spider-wasps about which Remmy has a phobia. For the first time he really blames Quinn for their predicament, and Wade defends Quinn. I think this is the point at which they say - we are all in this together - like family - that is one of the good elements of the show that was then lost when the main characters left. They get split up on the next Earth, and really miss each other.

In the second Earth, the USA had lost the battle of the Coral Sea during the Second World War and Northern Australia had been captured by the Japanese. When the war in Europe was won by the Allies, Japan was not defeated, and Australia remained divided. There was now an anti-communist war taking place in the outback between North and South Australia, along the lines of the Viet-Nam conflict, with America drawn in. At the same time they are experiencing a hippy 'Summer of Love' and peace in America, sort of twenty years late. When some commune members see Wade and Remmy arrive, they think that they are divine beings. The funniest part is Remmy attending his own funeral, and coming back from the 'dead'.

They then slide to a world where a giant Tsunami threatens to swamp them.

Been quite a while since I saw this episode. I agree that if they could have kept making these type episodes would have added more to the show.

I remember best the parts of the show where Remmy and WAde and the hippys. This is where they really started to pull together as a family, while still having those family squabbles.
:cool:

The major Pic i have with this ep. is that Remmy when he is by his family comes across as Super Stupid. I know that sub plot was for laughs. I just don't see Remmy as that dumd.

ZachWZ

Back