DId we really need another DAX

Neo

Red Pixie Boot Wearer
Don't get me wrong--Nicole DeBoer is cute as a button. And she did a fine job as Ezri, a pleasant enough character.
But, Jadzia was too special, I think, to have her memory diminished, (not completely erased) by the awkward insertion of Ezri into the last season.

I mean, it was probably done as best as it could be.

Why did they do it AT ALL?

Jadzia was sweet, but intelligent, gentle, but a total major momma. I think her presence was too important to the group dynamic to have her replaced, almost without a beat.

Also, I don't think the writers did Ezri any favours by having her havea relationship with BOTH Worf and Bashir within a few episodes of each other.

Maybe they just liked showing her spots?

well Ezri turning up at Siskos was what prompted him to get up and back into action, so that was a good thing...

Jadzia was definetly special. And i hated to see her get replaced.
But Ezri was a lot of fun, ie she made me laugh A LOT!! I think i'm glad she was there. Any Dax is better than no Dax.

I do agree with the Worf/Julian thing though! Obviously she's a believer in the late 20th century philosophy: Men are like toothbrushes - use them well and change them often! :D

:star:

Hi. New to the list but I thought I'd jump in.

I actually thought Ezri just added to the character of Dax. I get so used to seeing the same old characters that we all know that I think it's nice to see a bit of new blood.

Story lines can get a bit stale after so many episodes with just the same characters. Just a shame they had to finish where they did. So much more they could have done with Ezri.

Gypsy

yeah i liked the way they could do that with the Dax character... it was nice to see bits of Curzon over the years as well.

I agree it would have been nice to see more of Ezri....

Originally posted by BC-Lord-Gypsy
I actually thought Ezri just added to the character of Dax. I get so used to seeing the same old characters that we all know that I think it's nice to see a bit of new blood.

Originally posted by markpud
I agree it would have been nice to see more of Ezri....

I agree with all that, she was cute, added to the 'DAX' character, and lead to interesting storylines, but:

Originally posted by Neo
the awkward insertion of Ezri into the last season.

Why did they do it AT ALL?

Just as the show was building up to a climax, they added a new character, and we then had to meet her relatives. It didn't make sense to me.

I agree. They could have maybe killed off Jadzia i little sooner and let us get to know Ezri more. But hey. They make make a few movies. Give us more of an insight into Ezri.

Gypsy

Glad to see so many views... do u thing they had to bring someon in?? or should they of left it as it was

Don't get me wrong. I did like the character of Ezri and she did add something to the Dax persona. However I personally feel that it would have been better over all if they hadn't brought her in.

My husband and I were talking about this very thing a while back when BBC2 started airing the 7th season...

Firstly, I thought it was kinda a poor move on Terry Farrell part to leave the show to begin with... it doesn't seem like one more season would have killed her and I was always surprised the studio didn't find a way to convince her to stay...

That aside, the producers had two choices before them - either introduce a new Dax or hope the fans forget that there probably is a new Dax someplace out there. IMO, it made sense to introduce a new Dax to the show because otherwise we, the fans, would have been screaming bloody murder about the fact that Dax had to be someplace and we didn't get to meet him/her.

So... now they have the choice of either having one or a few episodes around the new Dax or introduce the new Dax as a new main character... it makes sense to then reintroduce him/her... and especially to do it at the end of the season premiere.. what better way to bring us all back next week? And it adds a new dynamic to the final season.

Now, I'm sure it was hard to decide who to cast... and I actually think Nicole was a good choice. She's both similar and very different from Terry. She has the same sweetness and yet has the feel of a very different person.

Of course we aren't going to like it because we all loved Jadzia so it was hard to have Ezri replace her. My main problem was that all the stories that centered around Ezri seemed to come too early in the season when we didn't care enough about her yet and weren't very interesting. It was like they tried to build up her character too fast and didn't put enough thought into it at the same time.

Anyway, I always liked Ezri, but I would have rathered Jadzia had remained...

And it could have been a lot worst. Terry could have left the show, yet Jadzia could have remained, played by another actress... like some shows have done.

Cheers,

Thanxs Ewlyn.....

I have to agree.... they should not have brought the new dax in... Plus the old one should have stayed for the last season???? i mean what else has she been doing since them ???

The actress that played Ezri did a good job with the part and I mean to take nothing away from that. However I don't think they should have had another Dax and why Terry Farrell couldn't have stayed one more year?
Although I agree that it was better than bringing in another actor to play Jadzia.

From what I could tell - from watching too much TV in the US at the time the 7th season started - Terry Ferrall left DS9 and immediatly popped up in a sitcom with Ted Danson which more or less got cancelled soon after it began. Or, if it didn' t get cancelled, it got moved to some horrid late night time slot and then got cancelled. I don't know if she left DS9 to do this sitcom, but if she did, it was a bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad move.

Anyway... Ezri would have been better had they not spent so much time on stories which sucked which were centered around her. From a creative viewpoint, I can see why they wanted the new Dax... but from a fans POV, I would have rathered Terry remain or we just never met the new Dax.

JMHO.

Originally posted by ewlyn

Anyway... Ezri would have been better had they not spent so much time on stories which sucked which were centered around her. From a creative viewpoint, I can see why they wanted the new Dax... but from a fans POV, I would have rathered Terry remain or we just never met the new Dax.

JMHO.

I quite agree.

I was at a disadvantage when it came to watching season 7 not having seen season 6. At the time I didn't have my satellite and only received 3 channels off the air. The channel that carried DS9 dropped it at the start of season 6 and the other channel didn't pick it up until season 7!!! Therefore here I go to watch season 7 and it was like what happened to Dax!!!!!!!!!!!!

Took me awhile to accept Ezri, never cared for her as much as Jadzia. Which wasn't the actress fault but the writing and the fact I think they should never have brought her on.

She would have made an excellent addition to the crew if it was goignt o go on onto a eight season or more... Just too late for her

I know this thread is kind of old, but I'm going to put in my 2 cents worth, anyway.

I totally agree that Terry Farrell should have stayed for one final season. Especially since she and Worf had just gotten married. I STILL haven't seen all of Season 6 or 7, so I'm still trying to fill in the blanks.

Terry went to the Ted Danson series "Becker" (which has an unfortunate but perhaps apt rhyme), which is still on the air and is pretty insipid from what I've seen. Terry's character is almost invisible, there mainly for the men to pick on, with no real development. I cannot imagine why she'd leave DS9 for this show! Okay, enough of that.

I liked Ezri from what I saw of her, but I have yet another one of my big, unanswered questions. In Rejoined, Dax is reunited with Linara (sp?) who is the host for her former mate. The show does a pretty credible job in addressing homophobia (could have been a lot better, but hey, we got a good kiss! That's another thread anyway.:laugh2:).

According to Trill customs, former symbiont mates are not supposed to have anything to do with each other or their previous lives. I understood this to possibly include non-symbiont mates as well. So how come Ezri is sent back to DS9 to be in daily contact with Worf? Doesn't this go against the whole Trill taboo?

And, since I'm on the subject, how does Jadzia/Curzon fit with Benjamin. They weren't lovers, but certainly spent a lot of time together? Would the taboo cover them as well?

Is this just another ST inconsistency? Anybody?

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

I think they wanteds Dax to have a mind of its own and a strong will. That way it could d what it wanted including break a few Trill rules. But i liked her from the start and i really liked the episode with her family.

Originally posted by Aing-Tii
According to Trill customs, former symbiont mates are not supposed to have anything to do with each other or their previous lives. I understood this to possibly include non-symbiont mates as well. So how come Ezri is sent back to DS9 to be in daily contact with Worf? Doesn't this go against the whole Trill taboo?

i think the Trill taboo (sounds like a cool drink!) only covered Trills and Trills. So Dax meeting the new host of her former lover is taboo, but meeting people that she knows from prev lifetimes is ok. Curzon and Sisko were good buddies and there was no prob with Jadzia working alongside him, they even went to the Trill homeworld together and no-one objected there...

:)

See, that's what I like about this site! Ask a question that's been bugging you for years and someone answers right away! :D

I guess it was a Trill/Trill thing, but it still seems a tad inconsistent. I mean Jadzia had just died and they send the symbiont Dax right back to her widower. Seems maybe a bit callous if anything. I mean, imagine how Ezri must have felt. Massive confusion!

And you're right, the Trill Taboo does sound like a drink. Something blue, I think. Or with spots? :laugh2:

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

I dont think Ezri would have chosen to go back to DS9, but i think they needed the Dax knowledge back on the front line... but yes it was insensitive...

blue, with spots eh... i'll have a double :D