Peter Straub

Morning Star

Science fiction fantasy
Anyone ever read any of his work? He is apparantly on good terms with King (they have written a book together.) He was also behind the old horror film Ghost Story which managed to scare the hell out of me.

I have read only one of his novels: Shadowlands, very good, very moving. I plan to read Ghost Story when I finally muster up the courage, or when the sun stops setting.

Hi Morning Star, and welcome to the chronicles-network. :)

Not read Peter Straub myself, but I know people who swear by him. Hopefully will get one of them to make a reply. :)

I said:
Hi Morning Star, and welcome to the chronicles-network. :)

Not read Peter Straub myself, but I know people who swear by him. Hopefully will get one of them to make a reply. :)
Thank you for the welcome. Here's to hopin'!

I've read Ghost Story, and found it surprisingly gripping. It's not all that scary to be honest, but for a few references to a seriously mucked up pair of brothers. The book does have a strange ethereal feel to it that adds to a general creepy atmosphere, but most of the devices meant to scare are pretty tame, and the Lovecraftian explanation for the strange events of the story left me pretty unscared (which is a bad thing). Good waste of a couple of afternoons though:)

Well, I was 11 when I watched the film so that might explain it...Shadowlands is very different though...it's the name of a mansion where a magician lives, who invites his nephew and nephews best friend to come stay the summer with him. This mansion is an odd place...seems to be a nexus of time travel, hauntings and dimensional cross-overs. Had definite shades of The Shining in it.

I've seen the movie and read the book, but many years apart. I saw the movie first, when I was a child. Scared the total crap out of me. I read the book a few years ago and I liked it from what I can remember :eek: . Seems like it explained a lot of stuff that I didn't quite understand from watching it when I was a kid.

That Shadowlands book almost sounds familiar. I think I might have read it, but I'm not sure.:)

I've read "The Talisman", which is the first book Straub wrote with Stephen King. Not bad, as I recall.

I also read "Floating Dragon", which I recall very little of, which may not be a good sign. On the other hand, it's been years since I read it. There was something about toxic waste, I think, and I can't remember what else all. I did finish it, which I don't usually do unless I like a book, so that's a mark in the plus column.

I started to read "Ghost Story" once, but put it down for reasons I can't remember right now.

I've read Shadowlands. It was a fair read, it had some good elements, some interesting characters and an usual feel that I quite enjoyed. Just found it a little slow at times though. And can I ask - is it aimed at YA's because the style did seem a bit explanatory at times.

I thought Ghost Story and The Talisman (with King) were great reads. I've always wanted to read more by him, but I don't know much about his other books.

King and Straub have also cowritten a book called 'Black House', I haven't read it myself, but my friend tells me its very good.

Ghost Story was the first of his books that I read and that was very good. Creepy and a fairly compelling read.

Went on to read Shadowlands, Hellfire Club and Koko. I liked Shadowlands the best.

Recently read both Talisman and Black House that he did with Stephen King. Both are huge, detailed tomes and well worth the read. They write well together.

I liked Ghost Story very much, but couldn't get through Shadowland *shrugs*

I've got quite a few of his to read, but don't read them often.

I really enjoyed the Talisman. I have Black House, which is the sequel in my pile of books "to Read."

Straub is "the bomb".

I have just re-read The Throat recently and it's a great mystery story. There are a few sections that describe a character's experiences in the Vietnam war that are fantastically vivid.
Top writer!

I've read Ghost Story and it was pretty gripping through most of its considerable length. A trusted friend of mine says The Talisman's an entertaining read but he's dismissive of The Black House.

I've read Shadowlands, Floating Dragon, The Talisman, and Blackhouse so far and Floating Dragon was my Favorite but all are great reads.

I've only read The Hellfire Club but it was amazing... more suspense than horror but still one of the better books I've read in the last 10 years or so.

Shadowlands, Floating Dragon and The Talisman are excellent books of his that I've read. I saw the movie Ghost Story and it was a very good movie, so I'd bet the book is better.
He does have a strange penchant for the Red, Red Robin song though. Would love to ask him about it some day.

Just wanted to add that Straub's newest novel, "A Dark Matter" is an excellent read, probably his best work yet or at least of his works that I have read.