5.05: Red Sky

skydiver

Trivia Goddess
/Red Sky One of the biggest episodes – in terms of cast and costume etc is called Red Sky. Written by new story editor Ron Wilkenson, SG-1 finds itself the catalyst in a set of events that could destroy an entire planet and hence play right into the hands of the Goa'uld. "The irony is these people don't want our help and even fight against us and it's left to Daniel to suggest that maybe there's more to their faith than we can conceive." Wright admits, "We had a fantastic time shooting this one because it's all done in period costume and looks spectacular."//

sounds a lot like the nox to me

i heard these folks were gonna be like the amish...sg-1's gonna try to help them, they don't want their help, gonna be a big 'jack we can't just leave them' 'daniel yes we can' (i'm assuming jack & danny here folks, dont' know for sure) arguement...and somehow either the alien's faith is gonna be proved right or there's gonna be a high body count.

it's also an asgard planet...though thor & his buddies are conspicously absent

the furlings???? you know the producers are just warped enough to have the amish be the furlings....and men in tights???? anyone else have mel brooks running through their mind????

i'd settle for shirtless and sweaty

Hope SG-1 get to wear really cool costumes :D

newangel.gif

Maybe we'll be lucky, and the Period Costumes will require the SG-1 guys to wear tights.

LOL! Makes me think of good old Will Shakespeare and all the other lovely British period costume dramas!

I can just picture SG1 strolling around a posh garden, drinking tea, and referring to each other as "My dear Mr. Teal'c" and "Lady Carter"

Ha!:D :D

originally posted by sky:

i'm there!:rolly2: :D

spoiler

I thought this ep was great!
Uh...
spoiler space, i guess--are we still even doing this? I mean it's season five, duh, right?

Anyhow, like i said, i really liked this ep. Of course Jack had some great lines. And for once i thought they covered everything within the time limit.
Great bit when Jack went off on that guy for killing two of his men and destroying the only chance those people had. He scared me, i'd a hated to be in the other guys boots.
Liked the way the writers covered the whole faith and belief thing. Boy, I'm eloquent. Would ya believe i'm an English major? I can spell, too!

*zombie chanting*
need more
need more information
need more information now

you get my drift

This was definetly a good episode.:rolly2:

Jack talking to the Asgard high council was classic Jack. "little gray butts" And the look on Daniel and Carters face was great.
Also enjoyed him attacking that guy after losing his men. His comment to Carter asking if she had come up with anything miraculous.

I think they did a really nice job on this episode and the reactions of the characters really made sense.

Red Sky

Well, I frankly was disappointed, I thought it was a very weak episode. And Daniel hardly spoke two words. His role as SG1's diplomat was totally ignored. Hey, he should have been the ones convincing those people of SG1's good intentions. Yet it was Jack and Jack who did all the talking. I know the part with the Asgards is Jack's domain but surely they should have used Daniel more in terms of diplomacy, hey, that's his sturf! I think this is a reaction to those episodes where Daniel is the one who does that stuff (Enkarans, etc.) and the writers/RDA wanted to show that Jack too does the speaking thing.

I don't know, the episode seem like a rehash of different episodes to me of previous episodes (Demons= the religion as fanaticism thing), (the Enkaran situation = a race/planet doomed), (the one where an SG team steal the weather controllling gizmo = Tauri responsibility for setting things right after they screwed things up). And the Asgard believe like in the Cimmerican episodes (Thor's Chariot, etc.) It's like they took all these episodes and combined them.

Nothing original or new was advanced. And the people look like Amish/Mennonites to me. :(

I think they were meant to be Amish like....... And I do agree. It seemed like a rehash of other episodes, but for once I was pleased that nobody was particuarly impressed with SG1 and their attempt to impose their sort of moral stance and belief system on a people who weren't having any of it. that to me was pretty much realistic. People who have had a belief system for a few centuries and had no reason to doubt it wouldn't just believe Jack. After all, the sun went strange just after SG1 stepped through their gate. What else were they supposed to think?

I thought it was quite illuminating that the other Asgard (less Thor) didn't seem as impressed with SG1 or Jack as Thor had been. Of course SG1 have probably caused a major shift in the balance of power in the galaxy by killing off various System Lords who probably held the balance just by being there. So they might not be impressed with SG1's accomplishments because it impacts severely on everyone else. As indeed Jacob Carter hinted at himself in conversations with Jack. After all, as General Hammond said very sensibly before, the humans know nothing about the politics and balance of power out there in the galaxy and there they are tramping around and obviously acting as a catalyst for other disastrous events. Which is, of course, what would happen in reality.

Not every culture will welcome SG1 and their particular brand of morality or belief system.

I have a feeling that people will be a little irritated with this episode because it had a negative feel to it and left SG1 with a bit of egg on their face.

As far as Jack pinning that guy to the ground, well, yes two of his men had just been killed, but Jack was brassed off because no one would see it from his point of view. As a CO he would feel extreme anger at the senseless deaths of his people, but as a good disciplined CO he would also control himself and not fling himself on the person he feels is the perpetrator, especially since the presence of him and his team was only actually being tolerated on this planet. Whether they were trying to help or not. SG1 were still responsible for the problem in the first place.

Did I or did I not hear Sam say that they had had to override certain dialling procedures in order to get a lock. Perhaps it needs to occur to the SGC that perhaps sometimes they are not meant to visit a planet.

Of course, the Asgard could have given them a list of addresses for places that they would prefer SG1 not to go, but I have no reason to believe that the humans wouldn't be arrogant enough to ignore that.

all in all i'd put this one in fth place of season 5.

it starts out with the guys getting tossed through the wormhole, nice camera effect there. then they're greeted by...ok call me silly but they looked like munchins. i mean really. the clothes, the silly hats the women wore and how they're shot at the very beginning looks like they're short.

anyway, they're greeted and given gifts since they're a friend of thor. of course there is one dissenter who doesn't like them(just has to be one of course)
while they're visiting the village ( i heard it was recreated on a soundstage so they could do the sky thing, and it shows) the sky shifts red.
eventually sam speculates that their wornhole passed through the sun, and it had picked up something, she speculated plutonium, along the way and it made the sun shift. (whatever, the science goes over my head)
anyway the short story is the planet will eventaully die.
sam and tealc' go back to the gate to contact the sgc and check the malp's sensors(does d-man have even ONE line?)
while jack and danny go to church with the munchkins.
they get zapped and see freir's message to the people(ok so it's a recording like in the tunnels on cimmeria)
basically sg-1 gets blamed. some of the locals aren't crazy about it, others say its freir's will...and don't get hot under the collar
for a few minutes i actually had hope that sam wouldn't be able to fix it...but of course she comes up with a theory..it involves a rocket and shoot a heavy element into the sun to reverse the damage(no comment on science stuff)
hit the fast forward and it's 3 weeks later, the rocket is pretty much assembled and ready to be laoded with the mcclarium(anyone get the joke here please clue me in cause i didn't)
of course the dissenter started a nice fire by the rocket and it blew up, killing two g'tau and two members of sg-6.
this sets jack off(rightly so, just went a little too far in my book, he pulled a gun on the guy FCOL)
he's ready to say screw it and leave. the rest of sg-1 refuse.
they come up with another solution (of course they do)
in the end the sun ends up fixed but we don't know who fixes it. did sam's plan work or did the asgard step in? we'll never know

btw, sg-1 does talk to the asgard high council and they refuse to help the g'tau, it would violate the protected planets treaty.

this had so manyholes in it even ignoring hte science stuff.

1) sam did over ride safety protocols to establish the gate...why? there are hundreds, thousands of addys available...why work hard for one?

2) ok, so i can buy the asgard not coming on their ships to relocat the people...why the heck didn't they pop in and tell the g'tau to go with sg-1 to a new world? or would that have been just too low tech for them

3) the asgard are just like the goauld...they impersonate gods and limit the development of races...

all in all it isn't the worst thing i've ever seen and it did have some moments but...it could have just been so much better if they had relocated the g'tau, some woldnt leave of course, then they go back weeks later and see the whole planet is dead.
why does it have to always be a happy ending? yeah i know this is tv and it's fictions but....it just could have been better.

thanx

i've watched the first 11 minutes of the the show. and i like it so far, yes there are sum holes but hey, this is television there is always gonna be holes.

and for what it's worth i liked daniels lines in the cave thingee with the other three.

"end of the world"

"that..that is a recording"

it's not like he didn't say anything.
so thats my bit, try not to take apart the entire eppie - THERE WERE GOOD BITS.

can't wait till next week
ciao
jaxie

Back