Elim Garak

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
Nothing is certain about Garak. The back-story we have been given could all be a pack of lies, because we are never sure if he is telling the truth or not. Garak has admitted that some of what he told Bashir was lies, and other times he recounts events in the third-person which quite possibly could be about himself. This is what I have gathered together, but feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong!

We are almost certain that Garak was once a member of Cardassia's elite Obsidian Order intelligence agency, serving under Enabran Tain. Tain practically admitted on his death-bed that he was Garak's father, and that is the most proof we will ever get. If not Tain's son, then Garak was his protege; and he lived at Tain's house for some considerable time. Tain's housekeeper, if not Garak's real mother, was just like a mother to him.

While part of the Obsidian Order, Garak was apparently responsible for the downfall and execution of Gul Dukat's father. His hobbies included growing Orchids. He once served as a gardener in the Cardassian embassy on Romulus, where he may have played a part in the assassination of several prominant Romulan officials. And even though he IS a spy, he really IS a very good tailor.

Garak was apparently forced out of the Obsidian Order in 2368. Tain beleived that Garak had betrayed him in some way, although Garak always refutes this. Tain had him exiled to station Terok Nor, which later became known as DS9. Tain also tried to have Garak assassinated, but Garak still remained loyal to him.

Hey!! I'm just starting a Elim Garak, this is your life type Fanfic, so this was useful!!

You forgot the most obvious thing. His claustrophobia. Might have started on Sankath. Where he was trapped alone somewhere, probably a cave, with collapsing walls and very little air.

He had managed to get in under control. But once he started helping Starfleet and betraying Cardassia it started up again. Worse than before. His own shop was too small for him. Ezri thought it was a guilt thing and helped him control it, for a second time.

Maria :star:

I want to start threads on every character, eventually, so you can help me.

I also forgot to mention about 'the Wire' he had fitted into the pleasure centre of his brain. This was to help him survive interrogations, but he found exile on the station so uncomfortable that he left it permanently switched on. He ultimately became addicted to it and Julian had to remove it.

i liked the tale of the Roumlan (COnsul??) who died whilst Garak was working as a gardener at the Cardassian Embassy on Romulus!

yer he told that to odo when he was seriously ill on board the defiant....

That was a good episode

I have always liked the relationship between garak and Bashir... i reckon bashir was actually impressed by garak

I think the Bashir-Garak character interactions are the best in Star Trek. I really mean that-- better than Kirk-Spock-Bones. And they are the best quotes-- go and see the Favourite DS9 quotes thread.

Bashir was the only person to befriend Garak. He distrusted him at first, but respected his insights and I think he came to admire him.

yup, I think it was also because of Bashirs aspirations to be a "secret agent" that he was so fasiniated by Garak, who really was one...

he was justa big kid at heart was our julian...

but he did mature are the series went on...

Garak kept getting better as we found out more about him as well...

I do think he matured as the seasons went on..... he certainky matured into his character

oh yeah Julian just gets better and better (with a little help from EVERYONE!) :D

Garak just loved to wind him up about the order... and julian just came back for more and more

Wow

wow you sure do know a lot about garak and bashir. i have to admit they are my favourite as well as Quark and moogie. but in tng it has to be Barclay, voyager would be the doctor but the king of the crop has to be Q. the irreverent master of fun.AKA Loki or sisyphus. who could nbe better. and now there's a little q. it's great. ok gtg. bye
:D :rolly2: :D

Thanxs for that... I love Moogie as well... she just knew how to handle quark....

Q is the man... he has such a great sense of humour... whenever there is an episode about Q i clear my diary and watch it ....

Have u seen Q2... great episode... but doesn't Q look older

Tain practically admitted on his death-bed that he was Garak's father, and that is the most proof we will ever get. If not Tain's son, then Garak was his protege; and he lived at Tain's house for some considerable time. Tain's housekeeper, if not Garak's real mother, was just like a mother to him.

He was his father . Garak told Kira and Damar when they were hiding out in the basement of the house he grew up in!!!
But that means his own father exiled him. Thats just so sad.:(

yeah and to think the spoon heads put such high value on families as well... having many children is expected, if not required, and an illegitimate child can ruin a promising career...

Originally posted by dmalfoy
He was his father. Garak told Kira and Damar when they were hiding out in the basement of the house he grew up in!!!

If he actually said that directly to them, sorry I forgot. But then Garak said lots of things. He told Bashir he was only Enabran's protege. IIRC he mentioned someone called Ilya as Enabran's son. He also frequently intimated that many of his stories were lies. Who knows, Ilya might be his second name, it certainly sounded like he was talking about himself. My point is you can never be sure about anything that Garak said, but if Enabran said it when he was on his death bed, then that is unlikely to be a lie.

No nO i got it wrong. Not about Tain being his father but about who said it. Garak said that he grew up in that house. To which Damar replied that he thought itwas Tain's house. Meelak the housekeeper then reveals quickly that Tain was Garaks father. To which Garak has to reply to a stunned Damar and Nerys that he was his father but with Tain being the head of the Obsidean order Tain could never publically acknowledge Garak as his son.
I only saw this ep recently i dont know everything in this much detail. In fact i know very little in this much detail had i not watched it 2 days ago i would have hardly remember it!!!

and an illegitimate child can ruin a promising career...

But i thought illigitimate children are welcomed as well aren't they

Wasn't Dukat's disgrace due to the fact that Ziyal was half Bajoran, rather than that she was illegitimate?

Don't worry about not remembering everything, I have lots of books, my memory isn't that good. And the writers and producers even forget, that's how they manage to make so many mistakes.

u memory is not that good..... Dave u a star

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Stargate General Discussions 49