ST: X - Nemesis

Tom Hardy for Shinzon role.

British actor Tom Hardy was rumoured today to be in negotiations for the main villain role in the upcoming tenth Star Trek film, 'Nemesis.'

According to a report on TrekWeb, Paramount Pictures has cast Hardy in the role of Shinzon, the clone of Picard who leads an uprising on the Romulan word of Reman. Hardy's official biography describes the actor as being 5'11" with blue green eyes and brown hair, which would put him at 3 inches above Patrick Stewart (Picard), but with sufficient makeup it should still be possible to turn Hardy into a believable younger clone of Picard..

While Hardy is apparently the primary choice for Paramount Pictures, the studio was reportedly still negotiating a final deal. However, some of the scenes of the film have already started shooting, so completing the deal should be done sooner rather than later.

Previously, Paramount had been rumoured to be considering fellow British actor Jude Law for the Shinzon role, but this was never officially confirmed.

As a rather young actor, Hardy has only been active in the world of film and television for a few years. He was most recently seen in the acclaimed HBO series Band of Brothers playing the role of Private Janovec, and will be appearing later this year in another military role in Ridley Scott's 'Black Hawk Down.' Prior to his film work, he appeared on the British stage with the London Drama Centre.

Tom Hardy Confirmed As Picard's New 'Nemesis' and more info

Aside from the crew of the Enterprise, the most important role in the next Trek film will belong to the villain - the titular 'Nemesis,' Shinzon. A great deal of speculation was put to rest today when actor Tom Hardy was confirmed as cast in the role in the tenth Trek feature film.

Reports appeared on Tuesday that claimed Paramount Pictures had cast the British born actor in the role. Earlier this evening, a news item at the press release confirmed that the role belonged to Hardy.

Shinzon has previously been described as "a dynamic young man in his twenties... very handsome with pale, almost white skin and shining, golden hair."

Another actor who was recently revealed to at least have auditioned for a role in the film is Michael Shanks, best known for his role as Daniel Jackson in Stargate: SG1.

In a new interview with Dreamwatch magazine (Via StarGuide), Shanks remarked that he was leaving for an audition for the movie shortly after the interview was completed. He joked that he was having trouble getting away from anything with the word 'Star' in its title.

It is not known what role the actor auditioned for in the movie, or if he has in fact been hired. Shanks recently left Stargate after its fifth season, and will not be returning to the show when it resumes filming early next year.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher), already confirmed to appear in 'Nemesis,' yesterday revealed what it was like going for his first costume fitting.

"The fitting today at Star Trek wardrobe was AWESOME," the actor wrote on his web site yesterday. "I got to put on the dress uniform, and see Marina [Sirtis] (Deanna Troi), and the costume designer, Bob Blackman, who I haven't seen in YEARS."

"Bob told me that he'd been fitting all the other cast members, and they all told him, independently of each other, that they were excited that I was going to be in the movie. The ones who had seen me all commented to him that I was all grown up, and funny, and doing very well, and all that, he told me."

Wheaton had also received his script, but did not elaborate on its contents. "I also got my script. It's sitting right here, with the word 'CLASSIFIED' stamped on it in big red letters on every page. Cool!"

The original report from Wheaton, including more behind the scenes details of his appearance on The Weakest Link can be found at WilWheaton.net.

SPOILERS

Following in the footsteps of Trek movie villains such as Khan and the Borg Queen was never going to be easy, but Tom Hardy is diving head-first into the role of Shinzon in the upcoming 'Nemesis.'

During a press conference for his recently completed film, 'Black Hawk Down,' Hardy provided some insights into his character's motivations. "He's bitter - very bitter," he told Empire Online, referring to Shinzon's resentment of his upbringing in the Reman mines.

Although unable to give away detailed spoilers, the actor talked about Shinzon's involvement in the film's storyline. "He's like a clone," Hardy said. "It's kind of 'The Prince and the Pauper'. It's what happens when you put the same person through a different course of life."

Shinzon will even come complete with evil henchmen. "I've got some very tall vampires to look after - that's all I'm saying," said the actor.

Asked about his relationship with Star Trek, Hardy confessed that he wasn't a fan. "Not at all - of course I will be afterwards."

According to previously posted spoilers, Shinzon is a human clone of Picard, created 25 years ago by the Romulan government. He is described as "a dynamic young man in his twenties...very handsome with pale, almost white skin and shining, golden hair."

The original article can be found here at Empire Online. Thanks to 'Floyder' for this!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Production on 'Nemesis' is currently well under way, with the cast and crew already filming in a variety of locations.

At the end of November Patrick Stewart (Jean-Luc Picard), Brent Spiner (Data) and Michael Dorn (Worf) filmed desert planet scenes around Palmdale and Lancaster north of Los Angeles, according to a report at StarTrek.com.

Following the location filming, the cast and crew returned to the Paramount lot to shoot scenes in sickbay, engineering, the crew lounge and the weapons locker. The bulk of the scenes filmed in December will take place on the bridge.

The site also reported that one of the sets has a large green-screen, over which an Alaskan landscape will be digitally inserted. This is the most likely location for one of the film's opening scenes, which depicts the wedding reception of Will Riker and Deanna Troi

With shooting on 'Star Trek: Nemesis' now well underway, Paramount Pictures this week released official plot details for the film.

The synopsis confirmed many rumoured story elements, including the marriage of Will Riker and Deanna Troi, and Captain Picard's "personal nemesis."

"On their way to celebrate the wedding of First Officer Will Riker and Counselor Deanna Troi, Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the Enterprise crew are suddenly diverted for an unexpected diplomatic mission to the planet Romulus," said a Paramount press release (via Cinescape).

"Longtime enemies of the Federation, the Romulans have expressed their desire to initiate negotiations that will hopefully lead to a long-awaited unity in the galaxy. But upon their arrival on Romulus, the Enterprise crew is faced with a threat that could lead to the destruction of the planet Earth, and Picard comes face to face with a man who may prove to be his most dangerous adversary yet - and a surprisingly personal nemesis."

This last comment is no doubt a reference to Shinzon, the film's main villain. Played by British actor Tom Hardy, Shinzon is rumoured to be a clone of Picard, created 25 years ago by a Romulan general to replace the captain. Apparently, one of Shinzon's dreams is to reunify the twin planets of Romulus and Remus, take back the Neutral Zone and to go to war with the Federation.

Hardy recently provided his own take on Shinzon's character. "He's like a clone," the actor said. "It's kind of 'The Prince and the Pauper'. It's what happens when you put the same person through a different course of life."

Principal photography commenced in November under the guidance of director Stuart Baird, with filming expected to be completed in March 2002. The movie is currently scheduled for release late next year.

'Nemesis' was written by Gladiator scribe John Logan from a story by Logan, Rick Berman and Brent Spiner (Data).

So, er, what were Nemesis' strong points?

Which bits did you actually enjoy?

Rather than attempting to deflect the negative statements about this film, I thought it might be interesting to look at what the 10th Trek Film actually got right.

This was not an altogether successful approach. I liked the character of Shinzon and the whole nature vs nurture bit, even if I couldn't quite figure him out altogether - possibly due to cut scenes?
I thought Picard's character got a lot of nice development, and some understated humour (when discussed the plans for the naked Betazed wedding, Picard announces that he will spend the journey in the gym!).
Some of the EFX scenes were nice - in particular the biological agent used to kill the Romulan Senate. I liked that scene, if you ignore the death it was actually quite pretty ;)

But, that's kind of where I run out of praise.
The other characters were pretty much demoted to bit parts, the storylines didn't all gel well together, and the ending was far from climactic.
*shrugs*

please someone point out other bits that I might have liked but forgotten... :(

The opening Romulan Senate scene with the 'biological agent' was good, but unfortunately they had to invoke yet another kind of radiation to do it. How many kinds of radiation are there in the ST universe? :(

The crash scene between the 'Enterprise' and the 'Scimitar' Warbird was excellent. It was done with a combination of models and cgi and all the decks inside the damaged 'Enterprise' are exactly as previously shown on cutaway posters of the ship. There was a lot of detail put into those shots.

The new views of Romulus, and the story of Remus and the Remans, never seen before in Trek.

I would have to say it was the look inside the Romulan Empire. It is no surprise to anyone who seen TOS Balence of Terror that they would have a roman senate goverment. The fact that their re two separate castes in the empire makesit unquite.

Factoid: According to mythlogy, Romas and his brother Reimus founded the Roman empire.

I loved the scene with Picard driving the buggie around... you could actua;;y see he was enjoying it

Think there are two scenes that stand out. Picards toast at the start and his reaction to the realisation that Data has gone.

I think the rest can safely be filed in the watched that, can't be bothered again file

My Views

Well, I have been constantly trying to stand up for Nemesis on another board (even to the point of people insulting me!) and so I will do the same here.

I LOVE NEMESIS!:D To me it is THE BEST STAR TREK MOVIE EVER!
Let's run through the film, I'll try to comment on the best bits.

Opening: I love the new "modern" style of music Jerry Goldsmith worked into the normal orchestral music for this film, especially the synth/electronic beat that runs in the back of most of the tracks (you know the one that goes "dum dum dum dum dum dum daka daka dum dum dum"):D As for the actual opening sequence, it may have been short but I loved the way that the camera zoomed past Remus and then pretty much landed on the Romulan Senate (I especially liked the little detail of the people walking around the city too!). The assasination scene was very horrific and hopefully gets the audience's attention.

Wedding scene: Really emotional in both good and bad ways. Lots of humour, especially Data's singing. It really brought a tear to my eye when Picard toasted Will and Deanna, I have always loved all of these characters and so I really felt like I was about to say goodbye to them. Also, it may have been brief but it was great to see Guinan and Wesley again. It was good the way that they put in a line about Guinan having been married 23 times!:rolly2:

First Enterprise Appearance: I have just got to mention the first appearance of the Enterprise, no matter how many times I see that ship, it still becomes more beautiful and cool-looking everytime.

Desert Scene: Nice bit of action with an homage to The Mummy with B-4's hand suddenly shooting out of the ground to grab Worf's leg. Like people have said, Picard's Jeep driving really was a lot of fun and quite exhilarating.

Admiral Janeway: Another great little cameo there. For some reason, I've always wanted to see what the Voyager crew would look like in the First Contact uniforms and so I sort of got my wish this time.

Scimitar Appearance: Oh man, did that make a great first impression! I loved the new cloaking effect which spreads across the ship rather than covering it in one go. Both the music and the tense feelings in this scene helped to make it great. I felt the same as everyone on the Enterprise when Worf announced the Scimitar's Tactical Specs. She really WAS a predator!

Shinzon: Great entrance, right up there with the entrance of the Borg Queen as greatest entrance. Special mention goes to the Scimitar Sets which really were impressive. Oh, and the Viceroy was very scary too, Ron Perlman's voice really added to the creepiness of the character. Later scenes showed that Shinzon wasn't completely bad, he was actually interested in what Picard had to tell him about himself. I especially liked the scene in the Senate where they both talk about looking up at the stars when they were little.

Troi's Rape: Very disturbing, especially when Shinzon morphs into the Viceroy. This is a nice homage to the TNG episode "Violations" where the same Mental Rape happened.

Spot: Sorry, just had to mention the cameo of everyone's favourite ginger ***** cat.

Picard's abduction: Very sudden and unexpected, plus it showed off the great new Reman transporter effect.

Data as B-4: Nice turnaround when we find out that Data is pretending to be B-4 in order to rescue Picard and stop Shinzon from gaining any Starfleet info. I especially liked the little Vulcan Neck Pinch that he does.

Corridor battle: Very exciting, action-packed and even with a little bit of humour as Data tries to crack the code for the Shuttle Bay (I just love that smug smile he gives when he finally cracks it!).

Scorpion: Great escape in a great fighter. That certainly has never been done before, escaping by flying through the INSIDE of the ship. I've also got to mention that I thought it was cool the way the Enterprise pretty much rolls right over before jumping into warp.

Battle Stations: I've just got to mention that little montage as the crew get the ship ready for battle. The music and the direction of it all was very stirring and moving for me. I love the new Weapons Lockers we see in this movie as well as the new force-field effect we see going up the Warp Core.

Astrometrics: Great little room that, it looked more realistic with an actual huge viewscreen there rather than the usual blue/green screen work. Did anyone else notice the redressed Son'a Situation Table from Insurrection, here serving as the main Astrometrics console?

The Great Battle: Oh WOW man! That was REALLY cool! I loved that bit where the Scimitar drops out of warp, whirls round and cloaks before resuming firing on the Enterprise (I actually rolled with it, much to the embarrassment of me when I realised my parents were standing in the room!:D ). Next came the great phaser and torpedo spread as they tried to hit the Scimitar, really excellent. The surprising arrival of the Romulans in their new Valdore Warbirds to help the Enterprise was an added bonus and it added to the exhilaration of the action. Seeing four big ships swooping around, firing was brilliant! It was also a good tactic from Shinzon by luring in Donatra's Warbird so he could disable it. The same goes for Troi turning the Viceroy's mental link to her into a weapon. Next came the boarding party, another great scene, once again showing off Worf's great combat tactics. It was also good to see Riker back into his action role he had in the TV series. Then it was the even more EXCELLENT decompression sequence, very shocking and you really wonder if any of the main characters are going to get blown out too. I love the Enterprise-E bridge and so I was saddened to see it wrecked in this scene. Then of course came the INFAMOUS ramming sequence, a great bit of action with great music that really gets the blood pumping. It was also a great homage to Insurrection (if you recall, we thought Riker was going to ram the Son'a in that film!). Lots of great effects, especially as we see the inside of the Scorpion Bay getting torn up. What's even more exciting is that the action doesn't stop there, it continues with Shinzon trying to prise the two ships apart. Then, after Picard's beamed over to the Scimitar, Data does a death-defying leap from the Enterprise to the Scimitar which I thought was excellent. The Scimitar spreading it's wings to fire the Thaloran weapon was a nice, cool touch, making the ship seem even more threatening. After the usual fisticuffs, Picard stabs Shinzon in a scene which really made me cringe (not because it was bad, but because it looked like it REALLY hurt!). It was even more horrific when Shinzon starts to climb up the spear that had pierced him in order to be closer to Picard so he could strangle him before dying. Next came the ultimate sacrifice which was very shocking, not to mention surprising for anyone who didn't know it was coming. I really had to stop myself from crying after Data got blown up, I REALLY loved his character!

The aftermath: The scene on the wrecked bridge of everyone's stunned reactions was really heart-breaking, especially Geordi's reaction (Geordi was the closest to Data). It was a nice bit of humour as Picard orders an incoming hail to be put on the viewscreen before realising there isn't one anymore.

Back at Earth: The sight of the Enterprise in Drydock was very impressive, even if it was somewhat heartbreaking to see the Enterprise powered down and either being taken to bits or rebuilt. The final toast was even more heartbreaking, especially as Riker recounts the first time he met Data in "Encounter At Farpoint". We actually see Geordi crying for once too, something that wouldn't have been possible if he still had that VISOR covering his eyes. The goodbye scene for Riker was also very moving as Riker has always wanted to stay on the Enterprise rather than command another starship. Now he finally is leaving, it's heartbreaking for him and for us. The final scene with B-4 was a nice touch, showing that perhaps Data isn't completely gone after all.

In conclusion, sorry this is so long, but I wanted you to realise how many great scenes there were in this EXCELLENT film and how much I loved it.;)

Re: My Views

Originally posted by jwells
Well, I have been constantly trying to stand up for Nemesis on another board (even to the point of people insulting me!) and so I will do the same here.

I LOVE NEMESIS!:D To me it is THE BEST STAR TREK MOVIE EVER!
Let's run through the film, I'll try to comment on the best bits.

snip
In conclusion, sorry this is so long, but I wanted you to realise how many great scenes there were in this EXCELLENT film and how much I loved it.;)
Good for you!
I sincerely hope it will continue to be a favourite for you!
And don't worry about the length, what you wrote is concise.

Sadly for me, much of it fell flat. Yes, there were some good action and effects scenes, in a restrained fashion. None were particularly new, even the flight in the Scorpion (James Bond, Buck Rogers all have had their variation) and I can't say they are what I watch Trek for anyhow.

It was a film that centred on the Picard/Data relationship, yet it never quite made it. Data was just too willing from the start to be bumped off. Perhaps if the deleted scene had been left in, it would have done so, or perhaps it tried too hard.

It is not a BAD film and I do not regret having spent my money on watching it. Just that there was something missing

The crash scene between the 'Enterprise' and the 'Scimitar' Warbird was excellent

That was a cool scene dave.

So if evrything else was bad.

That scene was something else. I really would not expest that from picard. He was a more diplomatic type

The only other thing I remember pickard doing was the "Pickard Move" in the ST TNG series when he was under a feregi mind control machine.

Stryker

Re: So, er, what were Nemesis' strong points?

The only thing that went wrong with Nemesis is that is was released alongside Bond#20 and Harry Potter#3.

Nemesis was a fantastic film - maybe not the best, but so far from being the worst it does not deserve the harsh criticism it has received. The good bits (in my humble opinion) were:

1. The opening zoom-in to the Romulan Senate
2. The assassination of the entire Senate
3. The humour throughout the first third of the film
4. The Argo scene on the desert planet - Patrick Stewart was having a whale of a time!
5. The Scimitar - awsome vessel
6. The Reman Viceroy - Ron Pearlman was an excellent casting choice
7. The ship-ramming during the final battle
8. The musical score -often overlooked
9. Top notch special effects
10. The goofs they missed in editing! - particularly the bit when the Remans boarded the Enterprise and Riker asked Worf to cover him, so Worf lies on the floor and fires his phaser and Riker casually strolls through the phaser fire and yet doesn't get hit!

It had a better and far more worthy adversary for the crew than Insurrection did.

I really enjoyed this film and was glad that they finally were able to get married so that was my favorite part of it... since I had been asking for years are they ever really going to get back together and get married

Well it took the whole series but they did!

Where Nemesis Made It:Nemesis made a social underpinning on the cloning issue, and I think that this simply wasn't appreciated because that issue has died down in recent years. I think approached from that angle it turns out to be much better, but the problem once again was that it wasn't as pertinent an issue, Trek 6 did so well because the fall of the soviet union and the nuclear meltdown incident made for a fantastic analog into klingons. I think a trek that approached terrorism would have fared much better since these societal analogs are very much a part of the strength of the franchise.The other part that I loved in enmesis that makes me watch it along with Wrath of Khan is that it comes with a starship showdown, which doesn't happen in trek as often as i'd like, but then again low supply creates high demand. It was also cool to see a ramming manuever since I'd never seen it in trek before, and it was a nice treat since the cube fight in first contact was so short (although admittedly WAY sweet).I dunno if this was meant as a joke, but on the planet in the 4 wheeler Data makes a comment about Picard driving too fast and he just laughs in a way I found somewhat madcap, and it makes me laugh.I liked the music during Picards race/struggle with Shinzon to the theleron matrix. Sorta bondy.The Valdore type warbirds are the sexiest space ships I've ever seen, and I want to see more of them.where Nemesis failed:Deana using her powers to target a cloaked vessel was a little.. over the top for what we've been told a betazoid can do in star trek, and although I thought that the lighting to show the use of ability was a cool look visually, it turned out a little bit too.. superhero for my taste. Although "remember me" was a cool badass moment for her similar to worfs "assimilate this" line, or kirks "here it comes" line.Whent he Enterprise went to warp it left a blue plasma or ion trail of some kind that seemed to emanate from the nacelles, and although I know it's sorta sad that I know that much about star trek warp physics, that simply isn't how they work, nor is it the way that they worked in the previous two films and that's a continuity failure for the sake of an admittedly cool special effect.I would have liked to see a few more romulans, I've always likes them and it would have been nice to see a Romulus on a movie budget, apart from jsut the Capitol models.Where Nemesis left me unfulfilled:I was raised on next gen and the idea of spock dying was pretty rough for the generation that was rasied on him, and after Nemesis I think I understand it better. When they blew up Data, I felt like the little inquisitive robot in me got blown up too, and the B4 didn't help me feel any better about it.

Brent Spiner Comments On Star Trek: Nemesis's Failure And Views On Fans

An article on the SyFy Portal site featured Brent Spiner's comments on Star Trek: Nemesis's failure and his views on fans:

Brent Spiner: Star Trek's Failure Is Fans' Fault

by Michael Hinman

If blame is going to be tossed around about why "Star Trek: Nemesis" was such a huge failure, you need to start with the fans.

At least that's what Brent Spiner, who played Data in "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and the subsequent movies, told the official Star Trek Magazine, as first reported by Sci-Fi Pulse.

"We worked on the story with the intention of making it for the fans," Spiner said. "With every Star Trek movie prior to that, we tried to find a way to bridge the gap between the fans and the general public. With 'Nemesis' we said, 'Forget that! Let's make a movie for the fans, because that's the people who actually go to see the films.' And what happened? They didn't go!
"Usually the films opened big, even if they had a lot of competition, but 'Nemesis' didn't even do that. That was a message from the fans that they were done with us."

"Star Trek: Nemesis" opened on Dec. 15, 2002, just days before "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" opened. The film made $18.5 million on opening weekend, and did a total American box office of $43.1 million.

In comparison, the previous movie -- "Star Trek: Insurrection" -- had an opening day box office of $22 million in 1998, going on to gross $70.1 million.
Spiner says he's all for restarting the Star Trek franchise, however, despite his previous comments on J.J. Abrams' idea for Star Trek XI.

"I think they're right to start a new movie franchise that will hopefully spawn a new series that will spawn new movies," Spiner said.

SyFy Portal

What a jerk! :mad: It's a shame I feel that way because I've always enjoyed Brent Spiner's work aside from Star Trek. I used to have respect for him, but now for him to say that its the fans fault is way out of line. If anyone should be blamed for Nemesis's failure it's partly him, afterall, he was the one who co-wrote the crappy script! The Next Gen cast had a decent run on tv for seven seasons and had only one good flick, Star Trek: First Contact, but all the rest were more like standalone episodes which were crap. They had their chance to be at least equal to TOS cast success but they blew it. Serves them right, good riddens. It's time to give J.J. Abram a chance and if the new film tanks, Star Trek should take a much deserved break. Thoughts anyone?

Re: Brent Spiner Comments On Star Trek: Nemesis's Failure And Views On Fans

afterall, he was the one who co-wrote the crappy script!

That little tidbit certainly makes it difficult to take the rant seriously. Still, we all rationalize at times.