ST: X - Nemesis

Paramount Greenlights Trek X

Paramount has given 'Star Trek: Nemesis' the go-ahead to proceed into production, it was announced yesterday.

The tenth Trek motion picture is set to begin filming on November 28, according to Variety. As previously reported, 'U.S. Marshals' director Stuart Baird will be helming the latest installment in the movie franchise.

Paramount is looking at a Fall or holiday 2003 release date for the film, the trade paper said. This is a significant change from previous rumours, which had indicated that the film would debut sometime in 2002.

The paper also confirmed the report that Academy Award-winning company Digital Domain will be working on the film's visual effects. Mark Forker, who has served on films such as Titanic and Apollo 13, will act as effects supervisor on the project.

No mention was made of contract specifics, but Variety stated that Patrick Stewart (Jean-Luc Picard) would move straight into filming for 'X-Men 2' after completing 'Nemesis.'

Long-time franchise head Rick Berman will produce the film, from a script by 'Gladiator' scribe John Logan.

Mulgrew On Trek X Janeway Rumours

Rumours have been abounding online that point to a cameo appearance in the next Star Trek feature film by Voyager's Captain Janeway, played by Kate Mulgrew. In a recent interview, the actress gave her reaction to the rumours.

"I know nothing about it," the actress protested to SFX Magazine at a convention in the UK earlier in the Summer. This despite several reviews of the 'Star Trek X: Nemesis' script which mention the appearance by Janeway, and a confirmation that same day by another guest at the convention.

"Rumours abound, don't they?" Mulgrew added with a sly smile, and then laid down a subtle hint. "The internet is always right! It's ahead of everybody else! Lots of times that's happened to me. Somebody says 'Did you hear this on the internet?' Absolutely not. Bingo a week or two later it comes to fruition."

"Do I kill Picard or is it a cameo?" she asked, and was told it was a cameo. "Well, it would only take a minute!"

The actress also reacted to criticism of Voyager by Chakotay actor Robert Beltran. "Is he being naughty?," she asked. "Is he trashing it? Well of course I've known about this. Terrible waste of energy."

"I have great respect for Robert Beltran. But I think it's sour grapes. It begs the question of his personal well being don't you think? It seems to reveal a kind of insecurity. But I personally don't understand it. He's better than that. And I saw his Hamlet."

Sirtis Has High Hopes For Trek X

Marina Sirtis (Deanna Troi) is saddened at the thought that 'Nemesis' might well be the final voyage for the TNG crew, but that doesn't mean that the actress doesn't have high hopes for the film - and her character.

"[Writer John Logan] is a huge Trekkie. He has said that he had a purely professional crush on Troi, which hopefully will translate into Troi having a bigger part, which would work for me," the actress told SFX Magazine (via the Great Link).

Sirtis said that she would like to see resolution to the crew's character arcs. "I've got the feeling that this could be the last one, so it would be nice if we tied up some loose ends," she said. "It breaks my heart to say that it could be the last one, because I know I could make them forever, but I know that certain people are so busy they're having problems fitting the next movie into their schedule."

If 'Nemesis' is indeed the crew's last adventure, Sirtis would like to see them go out with a bang. "I hope it's the best Star Trek movie ever," she said. "It's an even numbered one so there's a good chance."

Re: Mulgrew On Trek X Janeway Rumours

Originally posted by Neo
"I know nothing about it," the actress protested to SFX Magazine at a convention in the UK earlier in the Summer. This despite several reviews of the 'Star Trek X: Nemesis' script which mention the appearance by Janeway, and a confirmation that same day by another guest at the convention.

They are playing with our minds... the "Other Guest" was Patrick Stewart, this was the 'Wolf:The Return' convention at Blackpool (Neo and Markpud, weren't you going to go?)

Anyway, he said "Voyager and the big screen will shortly be connected" - according to Star Trek Monthly he stopped short of stating that there would be ST:VOY movies, but adding credence to reports that Mulgrew will return to the part of Captain Janeway in Star Trek X.

You missed one hell of a great weekend... especially when Patrick Stewart walked out....

Taglines for Star Trek X (2002)

These have been posted on IMDB.com as Taglines for the movie:

The Last Battle Has Begun...

Join the Remus Rebellion

The FINAL frontier!

OT: Why did PS walk out of the convention?

NO......... He walked out onto the stage..... LOL not out of the building.... what u like

Me .... he is my fav actor...

I am nice to him when i meet him/./.// LOL

Only met him the once mind u

Here's the new rumours:

According to 'Star Trek Monthly' in an interview with Kate Mulgrew, Janeway is not slated to appear in 'Star Trek: Nemesis'. According to her, what Patrick Stewart said was meant to indicate that 'Voyager' would be coming to the big screen. She says "I have a funny feeling that i am not finished with Captain Janeway, and I would put a finer point on it by saying that I suspect it is on the big screen.

In a recent interview with UK magazine 'Impact,' Patrick Stewart spoke about his upcoming film work, mentioning that the start date for work on the next Trek feature has been postponed.

"There's no start-date for 'X-Men 2' yet," Stewart told the magazine. "That was due to start in January or February and I guess it's fortunate that it's not, given that 'Star Trek X' got pushed back too. What I'm hearing now [for 'X-Men 2'] is July/August of 2002.

"It's a little frustrating because I was looking forward to doing those films back to back, where I would have a solid six month block when I was working and not available for other things. I'm actively trying to balance my theatre work with my other projects"

Dark Horizons mentions that work is due to begin on 'Star Trek X: Nemesis' in late November. It also states that some scenes will be shot in Death Valley. TrekWeb suggested that production on the film would begin on November 26th. Previously the film had been scheduled to begin shooting in October, but unexpected script revisions apparently caused a delay.

SyFy Portal, confirms 'Trek X' is undergoing rewrites, and suggests these are due to the recent terrorist attacks on America. "Hollywood has become overly concerned about offending sensitivities in light of the attack," the site said. "You've seen a bunch of movies go back into emergency rewrites, and it's no concidence that 'Nemesis' is doing the same thing."

Much of the plot will remain intact from the previous draft. However, expect some changes in the opening scenes when a terrorist attack supposedly initiated by the movie's villain Shinzon wipes out the Romulan Senate. Even though this movie is scheduled to be released more than a year after the terrorist attacks, it seems that Paramount just doesn't want to take the chance of hurting people.

'Star Trek X: Nemesis' is still due for a release late in 2002.

[Star Trek: Nemesis] involves a lot more of the crew, not just Patrick [Stewart] and Brent [Spiner]," Marina Sirtis told Sci-Fi Talk. "A lot of the other characters have nice storylines. The bottom line of the movie is that it is about family. We all get to contribute."

The actress is almost certain that 'Nemesis' will be the last TNG feature, (although Patrick Stewart recently disagreed with this and is more likely to be 'in the loop'.) "I think there are certain actors who would like it to be the last movie," she said. "I'm pretty sure it's not going to be the last Star Trek movie, but the last for this cast."

As the cast have been coming together to make a new film every few years, Sirtis hasn't had time to take stock of her time on Star Trek. "It's never really been over. When we've put this one to bed, then I think I'll be able to look back on my experience. I haven't been able to separate from it."

But what does the actress think of the latest Trek series, Enterprise? "I really like it," Sirtis said. "[The cast is] working very well together as a group. I really find some of the characters fascinating. I wish them well - I think it's going to be a big hit."

so - the TNG cast is gonna only (maybe) do 4 movies? aw - come on - they can do a couple more - and they gotta do a nice, smooth transition into the next set of movies ---

here's a question -- any possibility of a DS9 movie? or will they just kinda merge them into a voyager movie?

the biggest thing about DS9 is that it's a space station - and it doesn't really go anywhere - so, i would think making an 'action'-like movie would be kinda tough -- but hey - i could be wrong - they've surprised me before -----

OT: DS9 Movie

This has been discussed elsewhere, but I would like to see a DS9 movie.

PROBLEMS:
1) Most crew and characters left DS9 - how to get them back? Sisko is a Prophet -- some story based around the Prophets and the future of Bajor could be the key to that.

2) It would be more profitable for Paramount to go straight to a Voyager movie with Seven in a prominent role. Solution - have a mixed TNG/ DS9 movie. Personally, I think that would be best of all options. Picard has always had an interest in Bajor, Worf has been in both.

I don't think Sirtis is a reliable source. Stewart says that it is not the last TNG movie. If some actors don't want to do more (Spinner probably) then they can opt out. Paramount probably has to pay them too much anyway. I would like to see Wesley and the Traveller come back, or Sela come back. I would like to see Guinan -- but then we are talking serious money.