ST: X - Nemesis

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
We don't have a thread for the new film alone, so I thought that I would start one. I know that some rumours have been posted elsewhere, but there has been very little official stuff and all the net-gossip is about Series V.

This is what startrek.com has to say:

Screenwriter John Logan: "I have some great new races and ships in this script, I'm a rabid fan, and I want to be as involved as I can when it comes to new designs. I'm not just doing this for the money, believe me."

Captain Jean-Luc Picard and his crew will face off against adversaries both new and familiar to fans, and among them will be the Romulans. Logan also has created a foe for Picard in a tale he hopes will rival the drama of Captain James Kirk's encounter with the villainous Khan Noonien Singh portrayed in Logan's favorite Star Trek film to date, "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan."

"Picard needs an adversary or a foe that is up to his level. That's why James Bond should always fight Blofeld; that's his adversary," says Logan. "We hope this adversary will be every bit as memorable not only for who he is, but how and why he behaves as he does."

The script does blend elements of Star Trek shows beyond the scope of Star Trek: The Next Generation, says Logan, hinting that Federation races rarely seen beyond the original Star Trek series will appear in "Star Trek X." The story will acknowledge the continuity of other Star Trek series, he says, noting he had just screened a seven-episode story arc of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine to refresh his memory on details of the Dominion War and Worf's assignment on Qo'noS. It's important to him, Logan says, to portray the crew of the Enterprise as having lives between adventures, growing personally as well as within their relationships with each other.

And some of the details, he says, will be just plain fun.

"There will be lots of little things that fans will recognize," Logan says. "I want to put in a lot of cool stuff that no one in the main audience will understand, but fans will see and get it right away. One of the best parts about writing this is that I get to do things with the races, the characters and the homeworlds that I've always wanted to do."

John Logan is aware that many fans believe that the future and the fate of the Star Trek franchise is in his hands as writer for the latest feature film. He brushes aside such weighty concerns, saying quickly that he has drawn upon the support and ideas of such collaborators as friend Brent Spiner, to whom Logan first voiced his interest in the project; Patrick Stewart, and Star Trek executive producer Rick Berman.

Executive Producer Berman:"I can tell you nothing about the surprises. I can tell you that we will be meeting the Romulans in this movie," he said, adding with a grin, "I will say no more." He dismissed rumors that the character of Data will be killed off in this movie, saying there are no plans to do that.

Sky One's Teletext says The film opens with a wedding.

Does anyone know any more about this new rumour?. Who might it be?

Riker and Deanna?
Picard and Beverley?
Picard and Luxanna?
Worf and Deanna?
Mr Mott and Nurse Ogawa?

Who knows?

I'm still looking for more on that wedding... I'll let you know.

Found this:

Unofficial sources say that Paramount is considering having Jeri Ryan reprise her role as Seven of Nine relatively soon. The current plan is to have the ex-Borg character appear in the tenth Star Trek film in a minor capacity, probably not more than a few scenes.

The last two TNG films both originally featured cameos by actors from other series. 'Star Trek: First Contact' featured Robert Picardo as the Enterprise-E's holographic doctor, and Ethan Phillips (Neelix) as the Maitre d' at the holodeck nightclub. 'Star Trek: Insurrection' was originally to have featured Armin Shimerman as Quark and Max Grodénchik (Rom) as a Trill ensign, but those scenes were deleted for the film's final cut.

Daves' musings:

MMmmm! I thought Seven was lost in the delta quadrant, so she gets back??

Originally posted by markpud
anyone hear rumors that Picard is to die in this film??

There is a whole thread by Neo "-Picard to die-" in General discussions:

http://www.ascifi.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=3560

IMHO I think it is unlikely that Picard will be killed-- but PS has said he would find it difficult to do both Star Trek films and X Men films as well as theatre work-- many other actors would love to be in that situation.

yeah that would be cool.. I felt the Roms were always under-used in Trek, mainly cos they were trying to keep them mysterious and secretive.. hopefully we could get to find out some of what they've been hiding all these years...

Well i know Patrick Stewart has said he will not be in anymore Trek movies after this one as he is concentrating on other projects.... So maybe they will kill him off ??? who knows

They (TNG) wanted to show that it was a new and different Star Trek, so they didn't use any of the TOS aliens in the first two seasons, and brought in the Ferengi. Even Worf was a very late addition to the cast, thats why Tasha Yar is security officer and Worf is just a bridge officer.

But later on, we did see more of the Romulans than we had seen before, there were a lot of Romulus planet scenes in "Unification pt2".

John Logan says that he is an old fan and wants to bring back TOS aliens and make references to things only fans will recognise, at the same time making it a great movie for anyone else.

i for one would love to see a film involving the romulans... as i though unification was a great episode

Looks like you will get it Neo, I have some new unconfirmed Internet rumours about the script for Star Trek X. I don't know if all, or even any, of this is true, but it is interesting anyway.

The film begins with the wedding of Riker & Troi in Alaska, where we know that Riker was born. The entire crew is there to enjoy in the festivities. There is a custom for those involved in the wedding to go to a certain place, and do a certain thing, which Worf refuses to do, resulting in some comic relief.

The film will finally introduce us to Romulus' sister planet, which may be called Reman, and not Remus, the name previously used on Star Trek, but that may just be a typo. It is a planet with one hemisphere of eternal light and one of eternal darkness. Due to the immense heat on the light side, all the planet's inhabitants stay on the dark side, where they work, Cinderella-like as slaves in the Romulan dilithium mines.

The plot of the film will evolve around Shinzon, the Remans' defacto leader who thinks his people have taken a backseat to the Romulans for too long, and also in their dealings with the Federation. The Enterprise becomes involved when it is sent on a diplomatic mission to talk to Shinzon and the Romulans. As the ship arrives at the heart of the Romulan Star Empire, they are still unaware of Shinzon's secret plans, and a secret he shares with Picard in his past.

This secret is rather unusual, but could be to do with cloning, the other major concept besides the Romulans that Rick Berman said would be part of the film. The film will focus on the political aspects of the Romulans & Star Trek, in the same way as "The Undiscovered Country" did with the Klingons.

The film's new arch-villain, presumably Shinzon, invents a totally new superweapon. The film will debut a completely new type of ship, and the battle scenes are to be interesting, harking back to some earlier strategy by Captain Kirk. The Starships take a real licking, but short of self-destruct they never go down.

Besides Picard's past, we will also find out more about Data, with the crew discovering something about his creation, and why he was even built in the first place. The Data storyline will both provide the comic relief, but also some deeper Trek-issues.

One character from another Trek series will figure in the storyline, my guess here would be either Spock or Sela, but none of the recent-series cameos already mentioned online are as yet, included in the present version of the script.

sounds absolutely brill

Its not out until 2002 though.....

does sound good. Hope thats a typo as changing Remus to Reman is a bit dodgy.. but then again it was called RomII in TOS :D

Data's past and creation? Hasn't that been pretty much covered in TNG? We know Soong is dead so unless theres an android version of him around we wont be seeing him, and waht about Lore? Can't remember what his last status was???

i do hope it is as good as insurection... i still watch that film when nothing is on tv

First Contact is my fave trek film of them all. I heard the other day that the film is to be called "Nemesis" not sure if its been metioned already, i'm too lazy to read back ;)

LOL... i know the feeling....

I have heard that aswell ... good title i think...

I cant wait for the new film

News on Trek Ten

With shooting on the next Star Trek film set to begin later this year, some of the actors involved with Trek X have already been sent the script to review. Over the weekend at the Star Trek & Sci Fi Media Convention in Durham North Carolina, Michael Dorn (Worf) and Marina Sirtis (Deanna Troi) gave their reactions to the script.Star Trek X will be, in the opinion of Sirtis, "better than 'Insurrection'." She was careful in choosing her words and reluctant to give out too much information at this early stage, but she felt that each character in the movie will be handled well. She said that this movie will renew the faith of fans in the Next Generation. Sirtis commented that Trek X will act almost like a final chapter to the Next Generation characters, but hoped the TNG movies will continue.
Sirtis also denied a long-standing rumour about the movie, by revealing that no-one will die in the film. Previous rumours have suggested that Captain Picard or even Data would meet their demise in the film.
Deep Space Nine and Next Generation star Dorn remained true to his stoic Klingon character and stayed tight-lipped about the script. He did confirm however, that the movie will feature one character cameo from another series.
Sirtis read Dorn's script earlier last week, and was delighted and shocked to see that Troi will again have a moment of piloting the Enterprise, as she did in 'Star Trek: Generations.' Predictably, she did not reveal whether the Counsellor's piloting skills would again wreck the ship.
Troi has chosen the man she wants to be with, according to the actress. She said that at the end of the last film, it was quite clear that Will Riker was her choice, and was confident that this would be reflected in the new film. Previously, reports about the movie place the opening scene as a marriage between Riker and Troi in Alaska; but Sirtis did not confirm or deny that this would take place.

Actually, she says ( at the Creation Grand Slam Star Trek Convention) that she thinks Riker is a better match for Troi than Worf - although not necessarily Will Riker. " I prefer Tom Riker. He's a little more relaxed, he doesn't lean quite so much. And before you ask, I prefer Riker with a beard."

From http://www.darkhorizons.com/news.htm :

Star Trek X:

Marina Sirtis and Michael Dorn were at a convention on the weekend (don't know if it's the same convention Neo mentioned) and revealed some spoiler details it seems about the tenth film's script which both had just read.
Despite rumours of Picard & Data's death, Sirtis said none of the characters die despite the fact the tone of the movie indicated to her this will probably be the last Next Gen film (though it doesn't rule out the possibility of more).
Troi and Riker's romance from 'Insurrection' will be continued, whilst she will get to 'pilot' the Enterprise again like she did in "Generations".

"Star Trek: Voyager" captain Kate Mulgrew is up for the cameo role after Jeri Ryan was unable to reprise Seven-of-Nine due to her "Boston Public" commitments.

How they gonna use JAneway.......

AS Voyager does not return to earth for many many years yet

????? Unless the trek x is a time ship story