4.15: Chain Reaction

'Jack quote

Yep. I thought that 2 star was gonna have a rupture right there. And the interesting thing is, I can see Jack poppin' off like this to Hammond too, if the situation had built to that point, and can see Hammond responding in pretty much the same fashion. You just *know* that Hammond understands Jack is on the edge of coming unglued and will work with it, though.

The *new* CO was bypassing 'understanding' and heading for 'insubordination induced stroke' right there.

Such a beautiful moment. :}

FINALLY!!!!!
finally i can come back to play in the season 4 forum...i haven't watched all of it, darn phone! but i loved what i saw. the folk that said jack and harry had chemistry are so right. (wish he'd have been in an orange jumpsuit)
the new general being such a boob. and sam was ticked off royally. let's see this is the second time she's built a naquadah bomb and this time she used it and destroyed a planet. gee, hope they didn't have any neighbors or we're in trouble.
anyone catch the lines about air force one...wonder if jack worked on air force one? i mean in west wing it's a colonel that flies it...hmmmmmm
and harry dancing in the sun sipping a cold one...great!
what can i say, i'm impatiently waiting for the curse to end so i can rewind the tape and savor...

starsky and hutch...rotflmao...so you're actors then...
oh yeah, it'll be much safer there (yes. sarcastic sam is back, even if just for a bit)
and what was danny's smark aleck line right after the gate doesn't disengage...guess that wasn't in your guidelines or something like that...i love it when danny's a smart @$$. he has been spending WAY too much time around jack.

gee can you tell i'm hyped? i'll get over it. it's just that the first new eps in 2 months has me a little wound up...

Aw . . . darn! Now I feel bad about whumpin' on Maybourne in "The Loop." This epy was just great! Including the end where Maybourne copied the disk to himself. And the Jamaican music coming out of the red phone. And Jack telling Senator Kinsey "that's how you got elected" (by those "stupid" voters Kinsey was talking about).

Oh, jeez. Now I have to withdraw my vote for Maybourne as the stinkiest bad guy. What a terrific epy (my opinion could be motivated by the fact that this is the first new epy we've seen in a long, LONG TIME!). :)

Zowie

What a way to begin the new year here in the US. Not only is Showtime treating us to double episodes of SG1 on Friday nights (that almost takes the sting out of the UK schedule being ahead of ours), they start our year off with a terrific ep like Chain Reaction!

Jack is in true form in this one. Irreverent, loyal, doggedly determined, and so on top of his game. It was super to see Jack take on the dark side and win. Note to NID - never go after anyone O'Neill cares for.

Maybourne was actually a treat. I loved that he respected Jack's shady past enough to uphold the code of 'honor among thieves' by not escaping from Jack and by helping get the goods on Kinsey and the NID. Even though he did help himself out with that one.

Sam's torment of having to follow orders she finds despicable and irresponsible was a tangible thing. Her facial expressions and body language were tense all the way through once Gen. Bauer appeared. It was fitting that she didn't respond to Bauer's artless apology after the gate closed. I also found it touching that she chose to hug Gen. Hammond as he left. Just reinforces how much a family they've become.

I also liked the return of the 'distressed Daniel' pose and Teal'c's dirty look at the General as they evacuated the SGC control room.

Blah, blah, yadda. I could go on for days, but I'll call it quits here.

Renee. . .

I don't think I'll forget Sam's, "Yes sir, I'm sure it's safer up there." Interesting; they all found their positions tough to be in. Sam - tough to be the smart one who had to follow orders and use her intelligence to kill unknown others; Daniel - tough to be the smart one and stuffed into a corner and told to be quiet; Teal'c - tough to be the one with inside information (no pun) that could help save our planet, which is what put him at real risk; and O'Neill - tough to be the leader, with his troops and his leadership taken away from him.

Of course, there was no new news on the political front. Senators behaving the same as always.

Good epy.

Wonderful episode. My son and I loved it! He loved all of Jack's sarcastic remarks and the fun with Harry! He like the downloading in the house with "Do you know about Ikea?" and the "World famous Beer and Mustard diet" and the part about Harry mailing the disk to himself.

I loved the Teal'c look when Bauer asked him about the major who died and then immediately about the high grade naqadah. Skydiver, there is a fic in there!

Has anyone wondered why Hammond's granddaughters got into the "Black unmarked car" with the two goons? My son said that was "weak". He would never get in a stranger's car, and I think that applies to many of the L.A. kids. Even in K they have the "fear strangers roll playing" and the "who to tell" and "where you can go if you are walking" to and from school. I know they have the same type things in Colorado because when My cousin lived in Boulder he was a paart time cop and EMT and would visit schools and talk about the same thing and he hasn't lived in Boulder in years!

Everyone seemsto be hitting thehigh points and there are many left. So Iwill start singing very loudly and off key, "I'm Just Wild About Harry!"

TEXANE, you nailed the senate down pat!

One downer tho... How could the granddaughters be so uninformed as to get in a car with strangers, or the parents and grandfather so stupid as to not inform them of this danger!

First off let me say that this episode did have some really good moments in it and you all have mentioned practically all of them beginning with Teal'c's "Fortunately we are not on Chulak." line. ;)

However I am left with a feeling that this should have been a two-part story. It was all wrapped up a bit too fast in the end for me. Jack and Maybourne getting out of Kinsey's house by calling the press with that 'hint' that Kinsey would run for President and suddenly Hammond is back in his office and all is right with the world.

The wormhole shuts down just in the nick of time. I had a difficult time with that one after MOT. Unless the Gate didn't shut down in MOT because not only was it drawing power from the black hole, but the time dialation had something to do with it, then how is it that the Gate shut down in this episode with all the power it should have been drawing from the results of the explosion? Or why, as in Solitudes, didn't the wormhole jump when hit with all that energy?

Feeling decidedly like a party pooper here. ;)

Cheers,

ok yeah, there are a few holes...but i'm just too darned estatic to muse about them right now. though those kids are SERIOUSLY due for a 'don't talk to strangers' lecture. and where's their mom & dad? never been a mention if they're hammond's son's or daughter's kids...
jsc, right now the fic i have swirling around in my head is sam's reaction. let's see...bauer gets the naquadah for her bomb, which she doesn't want to make in the first place, and someone dies because of it. then in detonating the bomb they nearly destroy the base and the planet...and if those were radiation pins the guys were wearing at the end of the show, they're gonna de decontaminating the place for weeks (guessing on that part, i'm sure no scientist)
so, she destroyed one planet, lord knows how it affected anyother planets in the same solar system (remember tollan and cerita, one planet going a little out of orbit destroyed both of them, inadvertantly got a guy killed and almost destroyed earth...all cause she was following orders.

anyone else see some fallout here (what the heck, all puns intended)
if it were me, i'd be having SERIOUS thoughts about finding a new line of work.

btw, anyone notice the double meaning in the title? the bomb set off a chain reaction, hammond getting retired set off a chain reaction of events...they've been doing that quite a bit. the titles really do say something about the show.
take divide and conquer, the goauld set out to divide the tok'ra, they sure divided up sg-1 (and let's not go into what they did to the fans. asking the s&j question on a list will literally get you 100's of replies, not all polite)
samll victories- beat the little bugs, was a small victory in the overall battle,
the other side- shoulda known the other side of the urondan struggle, saw jack's other side...
upgrades- the guys got an 'upgrade', it upgraded the s&j thing
window of opportunity- malichai saw the loop as a window of opp to change things, jack took it as a window of opp to goof off
yadda, yadda...maybe i should start a new thread on this.

I have a silly question. What was the magazine that Jack holds up at Hammond's home. I first watched the ep. at GammaQuad and the resolution was not good enought to read titles and when it came on on showtime I was working on my computer and missed it (both times as I have both East and West coast feeds for Showtime..two chances and missed it both times believe it or not..fer cryin out loud).

Hi all, just thought I'd let you know that I finally finished with the video captures of Chain Reaction. If anyone is interested, they are at http://www.thehocket.com in the episodes section.

Cheers,

SGP,

I think it was a children's puzzle Jack picked up off of Hammond's kitchen table (if that's the scene to which you're referring). Looks like it holds ten colored squares into which fit the numbers 0 - 9.

I liked the little game show hostess number he did with it too.

Renee. . .

Yes, I was some sort of template for something! The grandaughters sure hugged Jack, didn't they! Maybe he loves them enough to tell them not to ride with STRANGERS!

A thought on souls. . .

Liked Jack's allusion to the General about selling his soul at the end. Also made me wonder how much of Sam's soul she sacrificed in the name of duty; how much of Teal'c's soul he gave up to get General Bauer's naquadah at the loss of a human life; and how much of Daniel was lost by being relegated into obscurity yet again.

Renee. . .

Ah hey guys

i'm new to all this so bear with me.
i haven't seen this episode yet but thanks to philips site i sorta know everthing i need to know except for - What happened when Carter sent that bomb through the gate? (i'm assuming thats what she did)What went wrong?
Thanx Jaxie

Welcome Jaxie!

Hi, Jaxie!

What happenedwhen Bauer madeSamesend thebomb through was that it did not do what Bauer's people predicted. The bomb explodedand set of a chain reactionwiththe naqadah in the soil. The planet in part (I am guessing this because the gate was still standing to keep the worm hole opened) exploded. Apparently the gate drew energy from the explosion and was held open but finally shut down on its own after thrity eight minutes. This has some people worried (See MythingLink's post a few up) She has pointed it out and I wonder also. In a Matter of Time (season 2) the wormhole was powered from SGC to a planet with a black hole. The gate drew power from the black hole and stayed open until Major Carter caused an explosion that caused the worm hole to jump to a different planet and then they shut itdown from SGC side. Another time the wormhole was hit by explosions it sent Carter and O'Neill to the Arctic (Solitudes season 1) and in seasn 4 the Watergate aliens held it open until they decided toclose it. So we seem to have anothr reaction that was not exspected from the wormhole and gate! Not only that but it wasn't explained in the episode. MythingLink is correct! That is it in a nutshell!

Does anybody know if it's true that the dog in senator Kinsey's house was in real RDA's own dog. I've heard about it somewhere.

i heard that too, at least if it wasn't his then it was someone's on the show.
just like the allusions to silence of the lambs was intentional.

as to the wormhole, it is possible it was the time dilation that made the wormhole stay open in matter of time, basically since time on the other side was at a virtual standstill that the 38 minutes would never come...and it's possible that since there wasn't anything physical in the wormhole that it didn't jump like it did in solitudes...that explosions don't have the same effect if they're no dealing with things in the passageway...or the writers just said to heck with it since it would have really made the show longer to have tried to explain it all.

and as to their souls, on yeah i think there are several people at the sgc who, while they're probably estatic to have george back, were NOT happy campers with buaer around.
is it just me or was he extraordinarily incompetant. when the bomb went off he just sorta sat there...if sam hadn't have been there how long would he have just watched the pretty staticy picture muttering 'it shouldn't have happened...it shouldn't have happened...'

Vera and Skydiver have heard that it was RDA's own dog also!
and it acted like it!

Ayeah, skydiver I keep hearing Hammond say to Jack 'I'm sure he's competent." RIGHT! I don't think that the man, Bauer, can handle surprises well. I think he is better at brown nosing re: Daniel's and Sam's comments when they walked up on him. Makes me think he was NID patsy... but then again... What is the sayingabout rising to the level of your incompetence!

he struck me as a paper pusher who maybe does a great job in a lab or overseeing a lab but either had no idea how volitile the sgc could be or couldn't handle it.
imagine if it had been him instead of hammond at the beginning...he woulda hemmed and hawed so long at least one of the sfs in the gateroom woulda got fried.
hammond may be an older guy but he sure as heck has all his wits about him.

and i do think sam and danny picked up on bauer's lack of...competance, she wouldn't have been quite so outspoken with hammond. imagining of course that hammond walked in in place of bauer...