5 Greatest TV shows ever... a random poll

I don't watch much TV, and I'll avoid childhood favourites. I enjoy things that make me laugh, and travel.

Father Ted
Breaking Bad
I'm Alan Partridge
One of the travel series by either Michael Palin (Around the World in 80 Days, maybe) or Simon Reeve (Tropic of Capricorn, perhaps)
Taskmaster - maybe because it's my favourite thing on TV at the moment. They make comedians do ridiculous tasks, like "conceal a pineapple on your person":

I believe there's a US series starting soon.
Oooh - I've watched much more TV since, so I'll update my list (US Taskmaster was a pale imitation of the UK one, by the way, though many other countries have good versions):

Father Ted
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones (I'd only watched up to series 1 or 2 for my original top 5)
Better Call Saul
Around the World in 80 Days (travel doc)

Cracks knuckles:

Breaking Bad.
BSG, the new one
Star Trek, the old one
Better Call Saul (a hell of a time to have a pandemic)
Bab 5

Bloody five only rule. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Without thinking too hard
I've thought a bit harder and come up with five programmes in different categories

Sit-Com: Fawlty Towers because of the wonderfully constructed plots. Comedy from situation at its finest .
Documentary: David Attenborough's Life On Earth because, well, breathtaking photography and educational.
Music: The Old Grey Whistle Test because where else on TV could you see top musicians actually playing their instruments live?
Quiz Show: Mastermind because of the simplicity. No gimmicks. No over-the-top graphics. Just the contestant and the questions.
Cartoon: The Simpsons because it's a lot more satirical than people give it credit for and because it paved the way for more adult-oriented cartoons (Seth Macfarlane anyone?)

You mean...
I, CLAVDIVS
clavdivs.png

;)

Combat
Star Trek
Monty Python
Jeopardy
NCIS
(Twilight Zone and The Great British Baking Show tie for sixth.)

Not an easy question, really. Yes, i can list my favourites, but the impact and legacy that these shows have needs careful consideration.

Babylon 5 will always be my number once choice. Not only was it my favourite TV show, but it is also my favourite science fiction experience. The five year story arc was truly ambitious and i genuinely believe that it set the bar for many TV programs, both Genre and non-genre. The choice to use computers for the special effects was not only a challenge, but I think that it led the way for many effects houses. It also had some of the best battles ever seen in Sci-Fi. Lastly, the designs were awesome, especially the organic space ships.

Star Trek: The Original Series and The Next Generation. It's difficult for me to quantify how much of an impact on popular culture these shows have. I've put both forward as i think that TNG actually revived TV SF. A little preachy in places but there are just so many great stories.

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. A favourite of mine to be sure, but I picked this one as it skirts some pretty difficult subject matter, not least of which is racism, which i believe it handles quite well. Very cleverly written.

My last pick would be Blake's Seven, but only for what i'd consider to be a pretty mature story line for it's day. (It was this or Doctor Who.)

Twilight Zone (original)
West World
X-Files
Twin Peaks
Dr. Who

I stuck with 5 best sci fi. Comedies, dramas etc...I'd have to choose five of each as well.

Star Trek (original series)
I Spy
Hill Street Blues
60 Minutes
MASH

This was really hard. I've almost stopped watching network television in the past 20 years, so my list is severely skewed toward old stuff. And then how do you compare cross genre? I did not consider Children's fare.

Others that received some consideration
The Cosby Show
Law and Order
Deep Space 9
Candid Camera
Home Improvements
Downton Abbey
Alias --- If the show had ended after year 1 it would have made the top 5.

*I find it troubling that two of the shows that are among my favorites starred Bill Cosby.

Back