Official Board closing

I'd also like to say that ewlyn, a very frequent poster at what they affectionately call The Nutforum has posted a petition over there for us and is now also the moderator for the Xena forums here.

She has a long background with Xena and is also one of my co-board-members on the XHWA Xena/Hercules Webmaster's Associate.

Her website is very popular and is constantly updated with news about Xena and The X-Files. If anyone would like to take a look it's at

http://ewlyn.hispeed.com/scullyxena/index.com

Cheers,

Hi Ya'll...

I'm wandering over from the nutforum to kind of peruse
your site. Wanted to say thanks for the offer to house
us soon to be wayward xenites. Just curious if ya'll
realize that we average about 50,000 posts a month???
If the majority of Xenites did decide to come over here,
are ya'll gonna be able to handle that kind of traffic???

oh and btw, except for maybe the annoying lil'
advertisement down the side of the page, I like the
site...:D <hummmmm just wanted to smile here not
waveatcha... so edited to change my :) to a :D>

Par...

Yes the forum would manage it fine. We are hosted on a PIII with 650 with 256MB RAM and an considering upgrading to a 2 x PIII 850 with 1GB Ram if it was needed. We are currently going at about 30,000 posts per month with about 400,000 page views per month and our server load hardly ever gets above 0.15

.. enough technical babble ;)

A big welcome here! I just hope we can get the data.

Well hello ParNone.

We can handle whatever those in the Xenaverse can throw at us. :D

If this area grows like the Stargate, Farscape, and Andromeda forums did we'll give it it's own section like those have, too.

Cheers,

Thanks Mythinglink!

I am here and will be keeping an eye on the Xena forum. If anyone runs into problems, please let me know. :star:

Cheers, Ewlyn

hey padders...

good deal... *crossing my fingers* that
you're able to get the data transferred over here...

hi backatcha mything!

We can handle whatever those in the Xenaverse can throw at us
i can see ewlyn neglected to tell ya'll how cranky we
can be...:D

Par...

Originally posted by ParNone
hey padders...

good deal... *crossing my fingers* that
you're able to get the data transferred over here...

hi backatcha mything!

i can see ewlyn neglected to tell ya'll how cranky we
can be...:D

Par...

Oh I've heard about the crankiness. It makes for interesting discussions, what? :D

Cheers,

oh everyone is crazy here as well. Check out some of the long threads about naming your aliens in the ascifi forums for complete proof :)

well crazy is a definite selling point for us xenites...
i'll mention that over at the nutforum...;)

oh and yes mything, a certain amount of crankiness
seems an integral part of interesting discussion...
and toss in a lil' dry sarcasm and it's downright
fascinating...:D

are you will all fit in perfectly....

just hope we can get the data.

Yup... use Xenites are cranky... hence it was a good ideas for you all to get a Xenite - me - to keep us cranky Xenites in check.

Did I forget to mention that? Bad me!

Did I also mention we can all be a little --> :reyes:

Jack, the SUSA Xena Netforum moderator just posted the following message over there:

XENA FORUM STAYING OPEN

Due to the overwhelming support for XENA: WARRIOR PRINCESS and the number of polite requests received by Studios USA through our feedback address, the Xena net forum will remain in operation at least until the end of the season.

Thank you,
Studios USA

So... it won't be closing this Monday but rather sometime around when the final episode airs... if not a bit after. FYI everyone.

oh well, that solves that.

But everyone is very welcome here, the software is a lot more fun to use i think (a lot more features) so perhaps some will come and join us.

And you never know. SUSA might still ok the data being posted here once they close it... knowing us Xenites, we'll still have loads we want to say. We're a terribly chatty bunch. :rolly2:

well as people know it is going to close soonish anyway, they might think that moving slowly here is a good idea :)

it seemed most people liked the idea of moving the data, apart from 1 person who appears to have their own ezboard which might explain it. (and ezboard probably won't be around much longer unfortunatly considering their financial problems).

Hello there,

Here I am, the *1* person checking in, just to clarify your erroneous assumption.

I don't want the Netforum, nor the archives for my EzBoard. If truth be known, I will very likely close down Xena's Mirror sometime this summer. My issue was and still is...with copyright infringement. If you want a further explanation see this thread:

http://www.studiosusa.com/mb/NonCGI/Forum2/HTML/044735-2.html

Its something that you might seriously want to consider before you move anything here. This is not a flame...its simply an advisory.

Callisto

Yes i was very aware of that thread, i could not reply to it because i do not have posting privilages:

A couple of things to consider:

1. We are not a business. I am a single person, a student, who runs the site for fun. The advertising on the site goes towards paying the enermous server costs but dosen't get close.

2. We were not "conveniently there". My co-admin used to be a member of that forum and got an email from them. She suggested we offer the site as an alternative to people as the Xena section is a big neglected here. I then thought about importing the data. In the end it dosen't affect me one bit, I am not personally a xena fan - i was trying to do something to help people out who wanted their forum not to die. It appears most people recognised this but i think you consider me to have hidden ulterior motives.

3. We understnad that data privacy. If you read stuido usa privacy policy the only thing it mentions is confidential information like emails etc. We did not want this. The issue of whether data can be transferred is not an easy one and is similair to the copyright issues surronding newsgroups. I don't think studio USA say anything about who retains copyright of the posts but it would be assumed to be the person who posted if they do not say. That is why, after reading your post, i got someone to immediatly post that any person whose did not want their data transported could over could have it deleted. I know you have lots and lots of posts but it is a single mouse click that would delete every one of your posts so they would never be archived here.

4. Permission

I don't really know what you are talking about here. We can't get the data without getting it from StudioUSA, they would clearly have to give it to us.

5. People

If you really wanted it we could do it the reverse way round and delete everyone's posts who did not say "yes". There would i assume be no problem with this would there? it would result in distorted threads i would imagine but still better than nothing.

6. as for

I've been to ASCIFI and even registered there. I found the board slow to load and cumbersome. I cannot imagine what a dinosaur it will be with 150+ people all posting at the same time. The format and set up sucks and isn't very compatible with different OS platforms.

We had a ten minute outage yesterday when a backup of the databases failed while i was testing a new automated script, perhaps you came there. Vbulletin is a much more powerful script than UBB and if you visit www.vbulletin.com you will find almost all the big UBB are moving to it. The reason is that UBB kills most servers (probably why studioUSA were going to close it down, the cost of keeping it there). I never find it slow over 56.6 or over a T3 connection. As opposed to other Operating systems? i assume you mean browsers as the operating system is irrelevant. Yes there is a problem with it in netscape but that is being fixed soon.

Really this response surprised me. I took into all issues of copyright when asking about this and expect quite a postive response. It surprised me especially when someone with so many posts wanted to see all the time they had put into a site deleted.

In any way, your forum will remain open for a few more months so the issue does not matter. Sometimes you do get the feeling that trying to help others is just not worth it.

Thanks for the clarification Padders. I've been trying to clarify over at the Xena forum as well for anyone who's a bit confused. ;)