Captain Sulu - his own show or not?

Who the unluckiest?

• Ensign Harry Kim

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chief Engineer Charles 'Trip' Tucker

• Chief Miles Edward O'Brien

• Some other poor soul (redshirts not allowed)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
The International Federation of Trekkers fan group is redefining its campaign to persuade Paramount to base a film or television series on the Star Trek character of Hikaru Sulu and the crew of the U.S.S. Excelsior. The group is apparently acknowledging its failure to affect the upcoming fifth Trek series and is now focusing on keeping alive what it sees as Trek creator Gene Roddenberry's vision of the future.

The group's Excelsior Campaign has been renamed the Guardians of the Dream campaign. The campaign's Web site:

http://www.startrekexcelsior.com/

will offer addresses for fans who wish to write to Paramount to suggest an Excelsior-based online fiction series, an original art gallery and other initiatives.

I have always enjoyed Sulu. Enjoyed the small roles in which we did see him as captain.

Personally I think it would be great to see him as captain and see how his character has changed from the original series. It would be a great continuation from the original series. To have one of the character from the original and see how he has grown and changed. The chance to see how he handles things compared to the officers he served under.

i do like sulu so dont get me wrong but if we did have a series back then i would want one inbetween were generations left off and before tng started. but if we did have a series set in what would be in the past we would be without any new inventions and stuff that they might think of. also there will be no holodeck stuff as i read somewhere that the Enterprise-D was one of the first ships with them

We were discussing in the "Rick Berman talks Series V" thread about one of the Series V rumours - that it would be pre-TOS, and how restricting that would be - no new technology, no new aliens to meet.

Setting a series between TOS and TNG would be ever more restricting to the writers because even the 'historical' events are fairly well mapped out.

I liked him in jthe star trek movies when he had his own ship and had to ride to the rescue.
It's a believeable rolefor him. I for one would like to see it done.

sorry but i just can't see it
but one thing i just thought of here and now:
how about a klingon or cardassion or bajo...
yeh what about a bit in the occupation on bajor
or a gamma quadrant series u know the inner bit cause the wormhole goes almost as far towards the opposite end of the galaxy as voyager went in 'Caretaker'
but the point i am making is why not go closer to the beta quadrant or even
LEAVE THE FEDERATION ALONE
yeh that is right go and follow one of the alien species that have been on the show or even make uk another species.

tell me what you think

huh uuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmm

Interesting.......

would be a good concept to develop one of the alien species into star role. which one though?

I for one would like to see more of the Volcans life. They have very interesting views on logic.
Klingons , or maybe take a look into Chakotay's her8itage and find that they his ancesters some anyway made a jump thru the worm hole and let him find them........

I agree too many places to go with all of this to end another Star Trek just like that <snap of the fingers>;)

yeh but the federation is getting a little stale and so many species were simply overlooked
also the federation seems a little specist as in none of the series do we have an alien in a lead role
(no sisko does not count)
i mean like in 100% command

I like the idea of an alien species in command. Put him in charge of a starship. In fact make all the senior officers nonhumans and just have humans as some of the ratings, maybe as the security officers. :cool:

It would be a nice change of pace. Don't know which alien species to pick though, Vulan, Klingon, Bajoran etc.
I know how about one of those ones made out of silicon that look like big rocks. The one that Kirk and his crew found in that mine that was having all those children. That would definetly be a different species for a starship captain.
:D

you mean the horta dont you??
well um that was a silicon based lifeform that was basically a living rock!!!!!
not many qualities in that useful when commanding a starship

Horta! Yes that was it.

Oh I don't know, I think there is more there than meets the eye.

I remember a STar Trek book that had one of the Horta serving on the Enterprise as an Ensign they had a voicecorder on him so they could understand him.

If they are sentient and intelligent no reason why they couldn't captain a starship. Would definetly be different from all the human captains we see all the time.
:cool:

they eat rocks make holes and secrete rock they are a primative race and it would be impossible for one to serve on a starship as people would get horrible burns if they ever touched it
think about it!!!!!!!
also what type of book was it tng ds9 or tos type book
as it would be unlikely in any time period as there are many small things involved which i will go into later as my mate just nocked on the door

First who is to say if a species is primitive or not.

Maybe they are and maybe they aren't. Yes they eat rock. That doesn't mean they couldn't have rock on board for them to eat. As to people being burned they could always work on some sort of protective element.

Come on this is Scifi/Fantasy. These things can always be worked out and solutions come up with (no matter how improbable).

As point of fact it was a tos book.

Lighten up, I was just giving a hypothetical idea that might be interesting. Not going on about whether or not it was practical (there are a lot of non practical things in most scifi at least as of what we know today).

I still think it would be interesting from a point of view of being different from what we are used to.

i know it was hypothetical thing but as it was a tos book then it was next to impossible as every 5000 years they die and one is left to guard the batch of eggs containing the next generation of horta but it takes e few decades before they hatch

I don't know that it was established if they were highly intelligent or not. Spock would know since he mind-melded-- wouldn't that be dangerous with a mind of low intelligence? The Horta were aware that it was the miners who were killing their young, and they were capable of acting in self-defence, so it wasn't just an instinctive thing.

There would be some big Health & Safety issues about having a Horta on a starship though!!!

I don't know if you realise it, but it would not be extra-ordinary to have a special section set aside for an alien lifeform onboard a starship. The Enterprise D has a special unit for Cetacian navigators i.e. Whales and Dolphins in tanks. It is on all the specifications and maps of the Enterprise D, and Geordi La Forge makes a reference to it in an episode (I forget which one). Maybe that was just an in-joke, but Cetacians are incredible navigators, and many people think that they are very intelligent. There are many SciFi books with an intelligent Cetacian theme ( See 'Saturns Race' in the Larry Niven/ Books forum for one )

My point is it that there would be a precedent to have a 'Horta Deck' on a starship if it were required.

i never saw 'flashback'... which season was it...

Voyager Season 3. -- Flashback -- Tuvok's life is threatened when a repressed memory begins causing mysterious damage to his brain. To treat the condition, he must mind meld with Janeway and relive moments of his first Starfleet mission on the USS Excelsior.

ow i remember that, one,,,, like the tuvok storys....

I have posted a interview with George Takei about serie 5 in the series five thread

I've read several reports from last year that George Takei has given up on this now. He was very, very critical of Rick Berman and 'Enterprise', and also of 'DS9' because it was the 'polar opposite' of Gene Roddenberry's vision. Since, no one had any idea what 'Enterprise' would be like then, I think he was talking out of order. I also think 'DS9' is my personal favourite series.

But having said that, I would still like to see Sulu again, either in a film, episode or mini-series. He's probably too old now, but I personally would much rather see Sulu come back than Kirk.

Status
Not open for further replies.