Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, The (1984)

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, The (1984)

http://uk.imdb.com/Title?0086856#comment

Directed by W.D. Richter

Writing credits Earl Mac Rauch

This is another classic cult film that I thought I needed to watch to have a view on it. When I finally caught it I just found it to be strange and weird. It is a big favourite among the writers and production staff in Star Trek's Paramount studios. Some of them worked on it, and some of the props have even been reused in Star Trek episodes. But I can tell you it's nothing at all like Star Trek.

Buckaroo Banzai is a rock-star/neuro-surgeon/comic-book-hero/samurai who along with his group, the Hong Kong Cavaliers, must stop evil creatures from the 8th dimension (all named John) who are trying to conquer our dimension. The stellar supporting cast includes Jeff Goldblum, Clancy Brown, John Lithgow, Christopher Lloyd, and Ellen Barkin.

Yeah, Buckaroo!

What? This is one of the finest Space Operas ever made, and there's not a thread? Wow.

I love those larger than life characters. Able to do anything. :cool:

Come on, let's get a commentary going folks. Not just about the characters, we can comment on the yummy actors, too :D

Yup, that's the one :smile:

Sometimes I wonder about all the John's....at least here in the NW USA if you're male and involved in the SF Community, the odds are quite excellent that your name is either John or David. (Try working on a convention committee with four prominent John's and two David's...and both David's have the same last initial!)

The movie is just so--80s with those outfits! But it's held up regardless... John Lithgow was--inspired! Peter Weller was just right :star:

I just wish we could see more of the characters...there's been rumors floating around forever about a new movie, or even a series, but I haven't heard anything concrete...

What's your favorite scene or quote?
RQ

I'd have to rewatch it again--but i do like the ending credits when they're all doing that srut.:D Also like the lines where Lithgow keeps saying John Booty and ignores the correction of Buteh (or however you'd spell it). i'll get back with you on more. Urgh! if i can find my tape.:erm:

Not to be pedantic, but...

...it's called "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension." Oops, that was pedantic, wasn't it?

Anyway, for years I've been trying to get people to watch this film, and for years they've been telling me it's sh*te. It's been described as a film that doesn't quite work, but I think it's great. If only they made Buckaroo Banzi and the World Crime Syndicate.

buckaroo bonzai is all world

i dont know any man who can perform neurosurgery, break the sound barrier in a truck, and perform in his band all in one day, but the amazing buckaroo bonzai can. this is one of my favorite sci fi movies and its coming out on dvd with new scenes. check it out at www.mgm.com/buckaroobanzai

comedy sci fi and cult. buckaroo stands the test

yes ironically enough as the title of this post says it is quite funny. thought of as a cult classic and sci fi movie, before anything else this movie has some exremely funny scenes. i mean with stars like john lithgow christopher loyd and jeff goldblum it most have some funny parts right. well thats my opinion thanx

Moving this to general Discussion....

a sci fi movie everyone should watch Buckaroo Bonzai

the movie BUCKAROO BONZAI ACROSS THE 8TH DIMENSION is insane and definte classic of the 80's. it has everything a sci fan wants, gadgets, aliens, plots to destroy the world, and wild sets. if youve seen this movie you know what i am talking about for those who dont check it out at www.mgm.com/buckaroobanzai

After winning a trial, a client gave me a bumper sticker that says "Team Banzai." It is in my office! :laugh2:

Urgh!

This movie has got four threads on it? and Blade Runner has one? you strange people make me sick sometimes...

Pah. Philistine.

"I've seen attack ships on fire off the shores of Orion" may sound deep, but it doesn't compare to "No matter where you go, there you are."

Think of it as a metaphor. If Orion refers to the nebula, not the constellation, then there's a limit to its nebular expansion. That limit could, in a certain light, be considered the shore.

And I'm sure there are vacuums aplenty in the Mediterranean. You just haven't looked hard enough.

IT IS BAD!!! Why the h*ll don't you think they made that seuel at the end?! I don't believe you people!!!

If you think something is bad while a lot of people like it, then you may well be right. But not, however, when *I* think it's good. And I do. So you're wrong.

And they don't make sequels to bad movies, eh? You're on rocky ground there. Wrath of Khan was a sequel, to name but one. I'd name more, but I don't think I'd be able to stop. There's too many of 'em.

Buckaroo Banzai!

Every once and a while I run across a movie someone should have shown me years ago, that I somehow haven't seen yet. This one definitely qualifies:

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

Not that it's a "good" movie, mind you: it's horrible! It's the story of how the scientist/surgeon/rock star/comic book hero Buckaroo Banzai breaks a barrier into the 8th dimension using his rocket car and an "oscillation overthruster." This attracts the attention of a group of exiled aliens living on Earth, who attempt to steal it to try to go home; but the aliens that overthrew them threaten to destroy the world if the exiles get the overthruster! What will Buckaroo and the Blue Blaze Irregulars do???

It's awful. It stinks. It's loaded with cliches. It's silly, and stupid, and incredibly confusing.

I love it! Why didn't anyone ever tell me about this movie before? It's the kind of movie that's so campy and dumb, you have to laugh and throw popcorn at the screen.

Anyone else seen it, or other similar movies? What are your favorite movies that are "so bad they're good"?

Back