Dream episodes

Nora

I feel the writers are using the dream episode thing too much, especially in relation to Daniel.

Forever in a Day was excellent yet it left me feeling cheated. I for one would had like to see the real reactions of Daniel's teammates to Sha're's death and Daniel pain. The real funeral, what did they said, how he reacted to Teal'c, etc.

With Absolute Power I felt cheated again. Besides not buying the idea that Daniel would become so evil (killing Teal's, for crying out aloud, in the words of our good Colonel), I felt it was a cop out. It's like the writers want to be able to write these things but they won't have any real consequence.

Same with Double Jeopardy. Again I feel it's a cop out. And the Alternate Reality thing also.

I want the real thing, the real people, the real emotions, not dreams or alternate realities or robots, etc. I feel these types of episodes don't contribute to the real story line, the real character development, etc.

Anybody out there feels the same?

Well, yes and no. Those "it was all just a dream" can be cheats (everyone remembers that appalling thing they did on "Dallas"). It's awful when the PTB give you no clue that it's not real until the end. Those are the real cheats.

But: I personally didn't feel cheated on Absolute Power, because it was obvious to me from real early on that it wasn't real. And I don't think it really qualifies as a dream, because it was actually a lesson being taught Daniel by the Harcesis, showing him the dangers of too much knowledge and power before one's ready for it. And for me that description applies to FIAD, too. It was Daniel working out his anger at Teal'c for killing Shar'ae.

AUs are fun because you get to explore a different reality, but yea, I agree, I think we've had enough of the AU. In a way, AU is like fanfiction --- you get to see the 'might-have-beens', and the actors get to explore different aspects of characters. About the only AU I'd like to see is if someone from another AU gets trapped here, and they bring back someone who's been gone awhile (fill in your personal favorite missing character here...)